Over cab bed economy/performance... (1 Viewer)

Mr Bridger

Free Member
Jan 4, 2015
South eastern France
Funster No
MH
About to buy....
Exp
New user
Hi. Mike here. A real newbie with pretty much zero experience apart from ownership of a Citroen C25 conversion from 1985 sold ten or so years ago....

I need to buy a motorhome for work and pleasure and am perplexed by the choices. The biggest choice seems to be the type (I don't even know what they're called in the UK, they're capucines over here) with a bed over the cab area. My concern is that they will drive like a drunken hippo, drink fuel and struggle to reach 70 mph...

So, bearing in mind my budget of around 25000 Euros (about £20K) what kind of performance (top/cruising speed and economy) can I expect from a Ducato over cab bed type van with the 2.8 (127 hp) motor which seems to be fitted to 50% of what's available over here in my price range.

Thank you in advance for your guidance..

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mike, in the UK they are a C class and like any highsided vehicle they can be affected by wind...head and side.

MPH....as said, headwinds will always restrict you.
how much will depend on how strong the wind is.

A happy cruising speed is around 60mph and even into a moderate wind it should hold it.

MPG.....24 to 28 would be realistic and while the 'bulge' will have an effect on fuel it isnt worth worrying about.

My last fiat 2.8ltr turbo would do 26mpg all day long at 55/60mph...stick a 1000kg car on the towbar and it dropped to 25mpg.....1mpg i wont loose sleep over.

One thing i am sure of....you wont want to be doing 70mph for long, far too tiring concentrating on the road and what the vans doing.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The huge overcab bed more than makes up for what is lost in fuel economy for us. It is a huge super king size. Having said that anything over 3 metres is classed as a 3 despite our attempts to shout " campingcar" into the toll booth !!!! So it can be expensive if you intend to use the tolls a lot. Ours is a 2 year old van with the Euro 5 engine and it easily reaches over 70...... If I am driving......not so much if hubby is driving.....he sets the mpg on the dash !!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The huge overcab bed more than makes up for what is lost in fuel economy for us. It is a huge super king size. Having said that anything over 3 metres is classed as a 3 despite our attempts to shout " campingcar" into the toll booth !!!! So it can be expensive if you intend to use the tolls a lot. Ours is a 2 year old van with the Euro 5 engine and it easily reaches over 70...... If I am driving......not so much if hubby is driving.....he sets the mpg on the dash !!!!!

Don't shout! Ask nicely!
We always get class 2!
'Bonjour monsieur/madam, nous avons une camping car. Est le tarriff correct?'

Works for us!

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi i have a bessacar e745 i sleep over the cab wife sleeps below nobody gets in way when you have to get up for the inevitable pee,both beds are really comfy, i can cruise allday at 65-70 on motorway lovely, cant emphasise how comfy over cab bed is regards steve

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
So, bearing in mind my budget of around 25000 Euros (about £20K) what kind of performance (top/cruising speed and economy) can I expect from a Ducato over cab bed type van with the 2.8 (127 hp) motor which seems to be fitted to 50% of what's available over here in my price range.

My last MH had this engine and as my daughter lives 500 miles away did many Motorway miles at 70+ and still got about 24mpg but on A roads at 50 mph got about 27mpg over the 2 years I had it averaged 25mpg

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
yes i agree with you im very pleased had mine about 3 months

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't shout! Ask nicely!
We always get class 2!
'Bonjour monsieur/madam, nous avons une camping car. Est le tarriff correct?'

Works for us!

I didn't really shout, my poor choice of words :) I tried my very best french but to no avail and we are only 3.2 m as well. I should have added that we didn't go through any manned tolls which may have had a different outcome.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I didn't really shout, my poor choice of words :) I tried my very best french but to no avail and we are only 3.2 m as well. I should have added that we didn't go through any manned tolls which may have had a different outcome.

I must admit, we haven't seen anyone in a booth for a while now!
Talking to the intercom is tricky, especially when it talks to you quickly!!!
We are about 3.2 Metres too!

There's discrimination afoot!!!

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome. I have to say our first thought at the prospect of climbing a ladder into an overcab bed was, "no way are we going up there to sleep!" Well we went up, just to try it 'for a laugh' and were really surprised. The bed was big and VERY comfortable, yes, we had to climb up and down but then not as much as climbing the stairs at home, and no stowing of bedding in the morning and fetching it out at night. Never slept 'downstairs' since.

Wyn

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The biggest choice seems to be the type (I don't even know what they're called in the UK, they're capucines over here) with a bed over the cab area.
Mike

A common name is "Luton" after the delivery Luton Van that extended over the cab.

We get 25mpg, people with low profile vans claim 30+, just a guide. If we cruise at 70 then was drop nearer to 20 mpg. We generally travel at HGV speed or a bit more. We are on holiday, speed is rarely needed.

As long as you can climb the ladder they are an excellent idea, no loss of internal space and a giant bed.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Like Wyn above we had a slightly bigger Euramobil Profila model a 660 (similar to one pictured above In Wyns avatar). At the time it was the biggest overcab bed in its class, an yes once up there it was fine, and my kids were comfortable in it. We slept on rear bed above garage. Although we had it 4.5 years, in retrospect it was a mistake for all your concerns given in opening post. would not have another, no way!

my kids were always happier sleeping in a tent anyway. and plenty of low roof models that will be far easier to live with, that the lounge converts to a double bed a well. I dont see the need to be honest, negatives far outway the positives IMO

whatever you do get it damp checked before purchase.....

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, go for it.......
My 'bedroom' is the one over the cab (as in avatar photo), its big, comfy, can pull my curtains across and I'm in my own world, and when warm out I can open my little window and the breeze just wafts across me - heaven. Fuel wise (60 ish) I get about 26-28 and since I fitted air suspension no wallowing at all, in fact the overcab feels no different to a non-overcab MoHo.
The additional space is a godsend too.

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

Upvote 0

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Hi. We have just purchased a MH with an overcab bed. I am dubious to try it. Will I not roll over and topple out.?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Aerodynamics is a funny subject, look at the bulge at the front of a jumbo jet, the aircraft equivalent of a Luton Van. They wouldn't build them like that if it had a severe impact on mpg. And look at the great bulge ships have projecting forward under the bows, these are not there to slow them down!

I would consider layout and the number of beds you want first. If a low profile MH can give that then go for one of those but only because reduced height will be better going under trees and cheaper on ferries.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Our overcab bed is big,comfy, and ideal for us. Yes access is via a ladder and nighttime trips to the loo can be a bit of a challenge. But the advantage of always having a made up bed, and the superb comfort and ventilation outweigh the disadvantages.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Capuchino's here as well !
I've only used mine for storage so far as previous owner fitted sliding doors !:D
I average 35mpg; 40 at times. It doesn't go fast though.:LOL:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have an large overcab, 3.2 metres and 7.3 long. Ours has the 2.3l which produces 130bhp. I have no problem getting to 70, it is pretty responsive. If you throw it about it will roll about obviously, but driving normally it is fine.
Our overcab bed is used as my daughters bedroom, so it is full of fluffy toys etc. :)
It does mean we can close the curtains and put her to bed whilst we sit and enjoy a glass of wine

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Why not go for Hymer A class, bed just drops down and made up for you ready for good nights rest.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ours has a king size bed up there that we sleep in. It's also got windows with blackout thermal blinds and fly screens. Great head height too.
I'm sure being like this makes it less aerodynamic ( we averaged 26/28 ) but it means the big beds made up. Out of the way . Plus it doesn't eat into the lounge space. It's got two directional reading lights , at both ends too. It lifts up and clips up once your at your destination. See first picture.
The Other pictures show it down.
You can still use the front swivel seats, with it down.
When your driving in bright sunshine we find the Luton acts as a shade on the windscreen too.

We've loved this layout and its served us well. Especially when the 3 kids came with us.
Yet I know once Ralph has converted Pug ,Well love him too.
We shall just have to get the bedding out and have single beds.
We shall be selling our MIZAR GTL Top Class As soon as she's been valeted and had a full service and hab check . If your interested give us a PM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have a "capucine" and faced wind gusts up to 110 kms/h (all the way long to take it to homologation... 200kms!!!!) and apart from being a tad tensed with the driving I had no major problem. Also when I want to speed a bit (mine is a hymer camp 51 with a 2,5l trubo diesel 1991 fiat ducato engine) I can't say I spend a lot more diesel. I usually do 100kms with 10 litres, and speeding might put it up to 12 litres.
My capucine is not very high ... but being a little frog , I don't mind...!;)

I can give you the names you're looking for in French
Profilé (there are cupboards most of the time over cab but no bed), Integral you have a drop bed over the cab) and as you know last one is Capucine.
If I can help you with French when you need to buy , just give a shout!

Frankie:)

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ours is a Ducato 2.8jtd I should do 60 but always find myself at 70. The "feel" of the drive is just like a panel van and I forget about the size of it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back