Not mounting a solar panel...

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Bacchus, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Does anyone have any opinions on having a "roving" solar panel?

I generally use my van for touring, I don't stay anywhere (without EHU) for more than a couple of days so the leisure battery gets enough from the engine to keep me going, but I was thinking of getting a solar panel which I can carry in the van so if I do stop somewhere for a little bit longer I can whip it out and put it in the sunniest place, maybe mounted on a cheap overbed table like this to get the best angle:-

[​IMG]

Apart from the ease with which it could be stolen, are there any practical reasons why this is a bad idea?

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Me thinks you have just Re Invented the wheel
    As dear or as cheap as you like

$_57 (2).JPG

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

1. You will need to sit by it or chain it up for security.
    2. If you want optimum from it you will need to get up and keep moving to follow the sun..

3.. Just stick one on the roof and be done with it :) While your lying in bed early morning it will be charging, while your out for the day it will be charging, while the van is parked up and not being used it charging.... You know it makes sense.

ps.. 4.. You dont need any space inside to keep it.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have been using three 20W panels on the fascia of my Hymer which have performed quite well. I am about to mount two 80W panels on the roof for more output and less clutter in the cab.

• Like Like x 1
  5. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

I have been following the various threads re solar panels. I am thinking of fitting one but I really do not want to drill any holes in the van. There are enough threads about damp without giving the water anymore ways into the van. Are there any ways of fitting without making holes in the van? Holes for fixing and for cables.

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Ah... yes... but... I was thinking of using the panel that is lurking in my garage... (c;

My thinking is that the van spends most of its time either touring or sitting on the drive without any need for juice (old van with nothing complicated going on), I also have a small boat which does need a small amount of juice to run the bilge pump every time it rains so the panel could spend most of its working life looking after the boat and then come away for the occasional holiday :).

If I mount it on the van it will spend up to ten months of the year generating unwanted electricity and gathering poop so it needs a clean when I do want it, and I will need to buy another one for the boat.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Then your Idea is sound,(y) why not.
    I would suggest a very simple leg arrangement as used on many commercial units
    But you probably have another garage full of old Hospital beds with meal tray mounts :LOL:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Well i think you have already made up your mind on what to do. All good reasons.. (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Certainly got a few bits in my garage! I thought that I'd chucked most if it away after the 2014 floods but it seems to accumulate...

10. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/solar-panel-fitting.110122/

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I'm sure you already have 3 or 4 very large holes in your roof covered by skylights two or so more for vents/ arial etc so one more for a cable wont harm at all
    In short no real alternative to a cable gland and even if you made the worst bodge job of it in the world, it can be rectified in 5 minuets so its no biggy.
    make the smallest pencil sized hole possible followed by squirting in some sikaflex into the hole, followed by a water proof cable gland over the top with sikaflex inside, and a large dollop outside making sure the gland faces backward and all edges are covered seemples
    I fully understand your concern and surmise you aren't an ex submariner:LOL:

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you have rooflights you already have holes in your roof! One more one that is probably only 20mm diameter won't make a lot of difference. Done properly there will be no problems with leaks.

14. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Thanks all, I will look into this soon.

15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I used one of these, smallish hole drilled from roof into a cupboard and stuck with sikaflex. C5482.jpg

16. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Chinese ones are cheaper .haha..