Not mounting a solar panel... (1 Viewer)

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Does anyone have any opinions on having a "roving" solar panel?

I generally use my van for touring, I don't stay anywhere (without EHU) for more than a couple of days so the leisure battery gets enough from the engine to keep me going, but I was thinking of getting a solar panel which I can carry in the van so if I do stop somewhere for a little bit longer I can whip it out and put it in the sunniest place, maybe mounted on a cheap overbed table like this to get the best angle:-

Apart from the ease with which it could be stolen, are there any practical reasons why this is a bad idea?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks you have just Re Invented the wheel
As dear or as cheap as you like

$_57 (2).JPG

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1. You will need to sit by it or chain it up for security.
2. If you want optimum from it you will need to get up and keep moving to follow the sun..

3.. Just stick one on the roof and be done with it :) While your lying in bed early morning it will be charging, while your out for the day it will be charging, while the van is parked up and not being used it charging.... You know it makes sense.

ps.. 4.. You dont need any space inside to keep it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have been using three 20W panels on the fascia of my Hymer which have performed quite well. I am about to mount two 80W panels on the roof for more output and less clutter in the cab.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have been following the various threads re solar panels. I am thinking of fitting one but I really do not want to drill any holes in the van. There are enough threads about damp without giving the water anymore ways into the van. Are there any ways of fitting without making holes in the van? Holes for fixing and for cables.

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Me thinks you have just Re Invented the wheel
As dear or as cheap as you like

View attachment 102904

Ah... yes... but... I was thinking of using the panel that is lurking in my garage... (c;

1. You will need to sit by it or chain it up for security.
2. If you want optimum from it you will need to get up and keep moving to follow the sun..

3.. Just stick one on the roof and be done with it :) While your lying in bed early morning it will be charging, while your out for the day it will be charging, while the van is parked up and not being used it charging.... You know it makes sense.

ps.. 4.. You dont need any space inside to keep it.

My thinking is that the van spends most of its time either touring or sitting on the drive without any need for juice (old van with nothing complicated going on), I also have a small boat which does need a small amount of juice to run the bilge pump every time it rains so the panel could spend most of its working life looking after the boat and then come away for the occasional holiday :).

If I mount it on the van it will spend up to ten months of the year generating unwanted electricity and gathering poop so it needs a clean when I do want it, and I will need to buy another one for the boat.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Then your Idea is sound,(y) why not.
I would suggest a very simple leg arrangement as used on many commercial units
But you probably have another garage full of old Hospital beds with meal tray mounts :LOL:
Geo

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ah... yes... but... I was thinking of using the panel that is lurking in my garage... (c;

My thinking is that the van spends most of its time either touring or sitting on the drive without any need for juice (old van with nothing complicated going on), I also have a small boat which does need a small amount of juice to run the bilge pump every time it rains so the panel could spend most of its working life looking after the boat and then come away for the occasional holiday :).

If I mount it on the van it will spend up to ten months of the year generating unwanted electricity and gathering poop so it needs a clean when I do want it, and I will need to buy another one for the boat.

Well i think you have already made up your mind on what to do. All good reasons.. (y)

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
probably have another garage full of old Hospital beds with meal tray mounts :LOL:
Geo

Certainly got a few bits in my garage! I thought that I'd chucked most if it away after the 2014 floods but it seems to accumulate...

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for that boringfrog. I now know how to fix the panels to the roof but, it would seem there still needs to be a hole for the cables. I do not want a hole in my van roof . Is there another way?
I'm sure you already have 3 or 4 very large holes in your roof covered by skylights two or so more for vents/ arial etc so one more for a cable wont harm at all
In short no real alternative to a cable gland and even if you made the worst bodge job of it in the world, it can be rectified in 5 minuets so its no biggy.
make the smallest pencil sized hole possible followed by squirting in some sikaflex into the hole, followed by a water proof cable gland over the top with sikaflex inside, and a large dollop outside making sure the gland faces backward and all edges are covered seemples
I fully understand your concern and surmise you aren't an ex submariner:LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have rooflights you already have holes in your roof! One more one that is probably only 20mm diameter won't make a lot of difference. Done properly there will be no problems with leaks.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that boringfrog. I now know how to fix the panels to the roof but, it would seem there still needs to be a hole for the cables. I do not want a hole in my van roof . Is there another way?
I used one of these, smallish hole drilled from roof into a cupboard and stuck with sikaflex.
C5482.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back