Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
You may have seen my thread about my lovely brand new motorhome.
Well I went out today to move it to give it a clean and a good polish ready for our first trip out this weekend. When I looked where it had been parked since we brought it home there was a puddle of oil left on the drive.
So I looked under the engine to find oil dripping. After a whopping 135 miles on the clock I was by no means a happy bunny.
So I flicked through the manual to find the nearest Fiat warranty dealer. Most of which were truck centres which I didn't relish the thought of a 20 stone grease monkey who had just been crawling round under a dustcart sitting in my brand new Captains seat in his oily overalls.
So after a bit of looking through the different dealers I came across Marquis in Northamptonshire. So gave them a ring and there warranty department wasn't in today, which I couldn't really understand.
Next I thought I'd call Fiat assist and see if they could get me sorted any quicker. To my amazement they sent out the RAC out to tell me I had an oil leak. Thanks guys.
He did narrow it down to a rear diff seal and said he would send in a report. But it's still my job to get it booked in still which I really don't think is right. Fiat should be arranging this I think. So I'm going to see if Marquis get back to me in the morning like they said they would but I will believe it when I get the call. Just thought I'd create a thread as I'm still in a bit of shock really about all this. I wouldn't expect it from a new van.
Update to follow. :cry::cry::mad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I just can't believe this thread..
It shouldn't even be up for discussion.
You bought a BRAND NEW van and it has a fault which many on here have suggested you should not drive.

Why do you think it's up to you to do something about it?

It's up to Fiat to come to you, put it on a low loader, take it away and bring it back fixed. End of story. And when having done that it's up to them and the dealer (who PDI) to write to you and offer you an apology at the very least.

we are just way way to nice in this country when it comes to faults like this. It's all well and good saying these things happen but they shouldn't.

Feel sorry for you but make them sort it not you.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Your contract is with the dealer you bought it from, must be the first point of contact to report the problem.
You did not buy it from Fiat.

I'm sure you wouldn't approach Truma if your heating packed up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Something else to consider re "truck" garages, my local Renault truck garage were a lot cheaper than the car dealership for the same diagnostics.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Blimey. It's ever likely folk have problems getting work done... such confrontational attitudes.

Approach the dealer with an attitude and they'll dig their heels in, it's human nature. Approach them and Fiat in a nice, friendly manner and don't get arsy unless they do.

In my experience of Fiat Professional dealers, I've found them to be very helpful. Fiat have just funded my replacement DPF differential pressure sensor, even though the vehicle is no longer under warranty. Why? Because I asked them nicely and put a good case forwards. If I'd have gone in with all guns blazing I'm sure the answer would have been "No'.

Last year I had an oil leak from the pipe feeding oil to the turbo. Being a 3 litre 'A' class Hymer it meant the engine had to come out to get to the leak and fix it. All sorted under warranty by a Fiat Professional dealer. Been absolutely fine and done 7000 miles since then.

It's just a small oil leak, It's not the end of the world and you won't get a new motorhome (that's just a ridiculous suggestion) unless they fail to sort this one out... and they will sort it out. Give them a chance to fix it. It's a pain in the neck but don't let it spoil your enjoyment of this fantastic hobby.

Personally, I'd speak to the motorhome dealer out of courtesy and take it to a Fiat Professional dealer. As others have said, that's all the motorhome dealer will do unless they are a Fiat Professional dealer. It'll be quicker than waiting for the dealer to drive it there on your behalf.

Good luck Dub Dog. Keep us updated. I'd be more worried about cleaning the oil off the drive.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Can`t believe some of the comments in this thread, take it back, reject it, bang on the door.

There is no need for any of that it`s a simple oil leak for heavens sake.

All you need to do is phone the dealer you bought it from using a pleasant tone inform them of the problem, tell them you will not be driving it anywhere as there is no way of knowing how much oil has leaked from the gearbox plus it could fail big time during the journey.

If you rant and rave all you will do is get up everyones nose, it`s not their fault an oil seal has failed and all you want is the job done correctly so you can go about your merry way and enjoy your new motorhome.

Wether you like it or not it will most certainly be a grease monkey in oily overalls that does the job at a commercial centre, don`t worry about that the oil seal is under the engine not in the drivers cab.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Ill assume OP has made the call now. And lets be honest its only 2 calls. One to dealer who will (should) say we will take care of everything from your drive don't move it ill ring you in an hour with our plan.

Or Your better off calling Fiat assist. Here is the number. Ill call you later to see how you get on.

Companys do a lot more these days than they used to. Especially companies pumping out high price products from new. He will be fine.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I understand mate. Just at the minute we have lost my wife's nan last week and my father in law has been diagnosed with terminal cancer in May and we bought this to give us something positive to look forward to. Just could do without this at the minute.

Life can be bloody awful sometimes, and seems to enjoy kicking you when you are down....so pick yourself up. Put your big boy pants on and ring the dealers you got it from. They have to sort this out with the least disruption to you. Good luck. Big hugs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Good evening all. Just an update and not much of one.
Phoned up Brian Currie MK this morning and explained the situation to them. Well after a lot of information giving they couldn't find my my motorhome on there Fiat system with number plate or chassis number. But Fiat assist found it straight away, so that's strange.
Anyway I said to the Fiat dealer so what can I do now then and they politely said "no idea".
So got back on the phone to the dealers I bought her from and I'm not going to diss them just yet as during the whole prosses of buy her they were brilliant. Saying that they promised to call me back today and they didn't. So count to 10 and start again ill be on the phone again tomorrow morning chasing an outcome. I'll update tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
At least your being nice to the dealer and been ignored or let down with the phone back.

I really do hope you get this sorted as painlessly as possible (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
At least your being nice to the dealer and been ignored or let down with the phone back.

I really do hope you get this sorted as painlessly as possible (y)
I hope so to. (y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Next stage, as said by your good self @Dub Dog is to ring the dealer again. Obviously you have made a record of today's call, promise and broken promise. Please confirm this in an email to the dealer ...... nothing confrontational, just a record of the time and date of your call, who you spoke to, what was said and the promise of the call back which has not yet happened. If your email system allows it make sure you get a read receipt for the email :)

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Nope.

They won't do base vehicle work themselves anyway.

Wherever you end up taking it to, including the original dealer, it will end up at a Fiat Commercial garage to have the work done.

Yep!

There are many motorhome dealers, all over the country, that are Fiat Professional as well. Lowdhams at Lowdham, Brownhills at Newark, UK Camper at Lincoln to name three.

Unlike the habitation side of the vehicle, I firmly suspect that Fiat Professional franchised dealers are duty bound to carry out warranty repairs, whether they be motorhome or commercial dealers, and can't turn you away simply because you might not have purchased it from them.

However, my experience with Fiat Professional commercial dealers, with the exception of one, have been excellent.

I too suggest that you contact the dealer from where you bought it and let them make the necessary steps to get it fixed. That is the correct route to follow!

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I've just had my Ducato based MH serviced by the local Fiat Professional dealer. I can advise they may also work on dustcarts but are far from "Oily Monkeys". In fact I'd say I got a higher level of service from them than my Cars Main Dealer.
Dealing with busnesses primarily they don't mess around, tell you things straight in plain english and don't con you with the old "this really needs replacing, but will cost...." line the car dealers always use.

Anyway that's beside the point as stated your dispute is with the dealer who sold you the MH, that is who your contract is with. Talk to them first and don't let them fob you off.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Extract from the Swift owners information pages on www.swiftgroup.co.uk regarding coach built motorhomes (2012 to 2016 models):

Base Vehicle Warranty – provided by either Fiat or Peugeot
Your vehicle is a coach-built motorhome which utilises either a Fiat or Peugeot base vehicle. Swift takes a flat bed chassis supplied by either Fiat or Peugeot and adds the coach-built habitation part of the motorhome. Either Fiat or Peugeot provide a manufacturer's warranty for the base vehicle as supplied to Swift by them. For any issues with the base vehicle warranty please contact your local Fiat/Peugeot dealer. This Motorhome Warranty does not cover any parts of your motorhome that are covered by the Fiat or Peugeot manufacturer's warranty. Your base vehicle warranty is subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Fiat or Peugeot handbook supplied with the base vehicle and the vehicle must be serviced in accordance with Fiat or Peugeot requirements.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Sounds like your vehicle is so new not yet on the Fiat system. Would suggest your dealer needs to rattle some cages at the Motorhome manufacturer so they can get the ball rolling quickly.

As said politeness at this stage but Motorhome dealers do seem to be in their own little world so along with politeness, tenacious persistence seems to be required sadly to keep up the momentum otherwise they seem to operate at there own speed.

Good luck and I am sure it will be sorted very soon. It will be all worth it once you are able to get away and enjoy the freedom.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I agree be polite but you swapped your hard earned cash for a motor home from a dealer . Not Swift,Fiat or anyone else . Your contract is with the dealer who you paid your money too , for what to be fobbed off, sort it yourself etc.
I would throw it straight back at them and say sort it in a reasonable time frame or give me my money back.
Far from that sounding aggressive i would say that is totally reasonable . They have supplied a faulty mh you didn't pay with faulty money ie counterfeit .

As i have said before hope you get it sorted as painless as possible and dont let it put you off its a great way of life (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Just a quick update. Phoned and emailed my dealer at 8-30 yesterday so it was there for when he got in. Phoned up another Brian Currie in Bedford who before I could even explain what I was ringing for blasted down the phone at me that there's no chance of even looking at it until after the 12th of December at the earliest as there 'Fiat ramp' was busy until then.
By this time I had lost my rag and phoned the dealer and not it so many words said if they don't sort this out for me I will be driving it back to them and won't be leaving until I have my money back in full. I may even take the Rottie with me and leave her in the showroom.
After a million apologies they said they will sort this for me asap. An hour or so later they called back and said they had called swift and they where waiting for a call back.
Another hour later Fiat uk rang me to apologise profusely and said they would get this felt with asap.
Well I didn't hear back yesterday, but at 9-01 this morning Fiat assist where on the phone to say how sorry they were for all the hassle and they have found a place in Hemel Hempstead for it to be seen straight away and they were sending someone to collect it in the next hour.
Great I said. Just one thing, they have got something big enough to put it on haven't they. "Of coarse" Fiat said. It's 21' isn't it. I said no it's nearer 29'. So he said can I make some calls I get back to you as I will need to find a bigger truck. This is the point I thought it's all going to go wrong again, but no. Simon from Fiat assist rang back 15-20 mins later to say all sorted and it will be collected around 12 and the driver will call just before he gets here. At last.
Then I had a call from Fiat UK to apologise again and say how they will do all they can to get it turned around as soon as possible as they know how much we want to get away in it.
They also said they will ring the place it's going to in Hemel Hempstead this afternoon to make sure it got there ok and keep them pushing the job on as we are waiting to use it.
So I'll update tonight with any news I have. But I can see the light at the end of that famous tunnel. Also the sun is out. So I feel a lot happier now.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds as if it will finally be repaired and you can put this behind you and start loving the motorhome life soon.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds good - now all you have to do is negotiate some sort of compensation for "loss of use" and "loss of enjoyment".
I usually find that somesort of accessory fitted, which costs them little but would cost you a lot is normally very agreeable.
[Had a CD Autochanger fitted to my Honda when the Aircon wasn't working on a band new car]

Thinking about it - I might suggest going for at least one "free" service & habitation check ?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all's well that ends well as people say, just be careful that the light at the end of the tunnel that you can see isn't a train

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
Good to see that things are moving in the right direction, I hope tonight's update continues along the same lines.
Hope today has been a bit less stressful for you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back