Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
You may have seen my thread about my lovely brand new motorhome.
Well I went out today to move it to give it a clean and a good polish ready for our first trip out this weekend. When I looked where it had been parked since we brought it home there was a puddle of oil left on the drive.
So I looked under the engine to find oil dripping. After a whopping 135 miles on the clock I was by no means a happy bunny.
So I flicked through the manual to find the nearest Fiat warranty dealer. Most of which were truck centres which I didn't relish the thought of a 20 stone grease monkey who had just been crawling round under a dustcart sitting in my brand new Captains seat in his oily overalls.
So after a bit of looking through the different dealers I came across Marquis in Northamptonshire. So gave them a ring and there warranty department wasn't in today, which I couldn't really understand.
Next I thought I'd call Fiat assist and see if they could get me sorted any quicker. To my amazement they sent out the RAC out to tell me I had an oil leak. Thanks guys.
He did narrow it down to a rear diff seal and said he would send in a report. But it's still my job to get it booked in still which I really don't think is right. Fiat should be arranging this I think. So I'm going to see if Marquis get back to me in the morning like they said they would but I will believe it when I get the call. Just thought I'd create a thread as I'm still in a bit of shock really about all this. I wouldn't expect it from a new van.
Update to follow. :cry::cry::mad:

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Share your pain tho Dub Dog and really hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction . Sorry for going off on one but it winds me up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Share your pain tho Dub Dog and really hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction . Sorry for going off on one but it winds me up.
I understand mate. Just at the minute we have lost my wife's nan last week and my father in law has been diagnosed with terminal cancer in May and we bought this to give us something positive to look forward to. Just could do without this at the minute.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If its a brand new van back to the dealer no effin round with fiat assist etc , your contract is with the dealer , reject it maybe.
The only sure way is to nuke them from outer space :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Really sorry for all the things going on Dog really am , knocks things like oil

leaks into touch . Still take van back though i say.

One thing i will say if your going through bad stuff in your family make a post if your jacked off in the u shaped lounge you will get loads of support . Its a mh family in a way (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Really sorry for all the things going on Dog really am , knocks things like oil

leaks into touch . Still take van back though i say.

One thing i will say if your going through bad stuff in your family make a post if your jacked off in the u shaped lounge you will get loads of support . Its a mh family in a way (y)
Appreciate that wigster. Been a real c*ap year.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
We are fairly local to you and the previous owner took our motorhome to Brian Currie for warranty work and our drivers seat is spotless so they must have looked after it okay.

It is so upsetting when something happens so soon after getting it but I am sure it will get repaired and you will be able to get away in it soon and put this frustration behind you.

Personally I will be taking back to o dealer for hab service but Brian Currie for the vehicle service where they see fiat ducato's everyday IMHO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
We are fairly local to you and the previous owner took our motorhome to Brian Currie for warranty work and our drivers seat is spotless so they must have looked after it okay.

It is so upsetting when something happens so soon after getting it but I am sure it will get repaired and you will be able to get away in it soon and put this frustration behind you.

Personally I will be taking back to o dealer for hab service but Brian Currie for the vehicle service where they see fiat ducato's everyday IMHO
That's really reassuring P&J. It does put your mind at rest when you hear from other people. I'm sure they look after things it's just first time nerves.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Dub Dog

Sorry to hear about the teething issues (I am going to call it that as for sure it will be a something and nothing fix)

I was following your other thread on the pick up and was so excited for you having fish & chips on collection. I took my dad with me to get mine only a few weeks ago now and we had a Bacon butty from a road side cafe. Was great.

Id look at it like this. Its winter so usage will be low. Spend some time at the camping store picking out stuff for it and getting it equipped in the living area. Filling away all your stuff ready for the big test first night and by the time all that is done it will be fixed and you will hardy have noticed the down time as your occupied playing in it.

Probably just a badly seated oil seal.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S. The van looks awesome by the way! Double rear axle is real man stuff (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dub Dog

Dub Dog

Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Dub Dog

Sorry to hear about the teething issues (I am going to call it that as for sure it will be a something and nothing fix)

I was following your other thread on the pick up and was so excited for you having fish & chips on collection. I took my dad with me to get mine only a few weeks ago now and we had a Bacon butty from a road side cafe. Was great.

Id look at it like this. Its winter so usage will be low. Spend some time at the camping store picking out stuff for it and getting it equipped in the living area. Filling away all your stuff ready for the big test first night and by the time all that is done it will be fixed and you will hardy have noticed the down time as your occupied playing in it.

Probably just a badly seated oil seal.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S. The van looks awesome by the way! Double rear axle is real man stuff (y)
Really appreciate your positive attitude, thanks. I'm normally like that but this year has knocked the stuffing out of me. All of what you say is true and we will get it sorted and get back on the horse as it were.
We want to take my father in law out for the day to the coast in it soon as his chemotherapy is knocking him for six and we want to do it before he can't or doesn't want to.
Like you said, just teething problems and hopefully we will be sorted soon.
Love your threads by the way. (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
@Dub Dog just seen this, what an absolute pain in the rear, I wouldn't be very good with a situation like this, I would want blood, however I do think the calming influence of @davidathomas42 is the better way, hopefully just a bad seal and fixed in no time. Think my first call would be the dealer and put the onus on them.
Followed your thread on collection day, think I was as excited as you were.
Good luck, hope you get sorted real quick.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've taken ours to Adam's Morey in Southampton for some recall work and they were ok, they are essentially a truck repair place for fiat.:)

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It's for the supplying dealer to rectify the issue but likely that a Fiat Professional workshop will end up doing the repair.
You could call the Fiat Assist line yourself and get them to collect it but personally I would insist that the supplying dealer sorted it for you and insist that the goods must be fit for purpose.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We had a very similar issue with a car we bought brand new. After 500miles I noticed a puddle of oil on the drive... a very light and thin oil.
The garage diagnosed a leaking seal where the drive shafts enter the gearbox. It transpired there was a crack so needed a new gearbox...:cry:
Well... being a RenaultSport variant there were none 'on the shelf' and we had to wait 6 weeks for one to be built in France.

The overall experience was tough but was sorted in the end.... and the best bit was it was an import from Motorpoint and the local Renault dealer honoured the Pan European Warranty and hired us a car for the 6 weeks. Total bill was £3000 and didn't cost us a penny.

Kept it for 11 years and sold it to a friend who still gets in it every day and it puts a smile on his face. Damn exciting those RSClio's!!! especially if you chip them too...:whistle::whistle::whistle:

So don't worry it will be fixed and the initial bad experience will fade and you will enjoy your MH.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Phone your dealer
Tell them what's happened
Explain that you don't want to drive it as you realise it could cause further damage
Ask them what they intend to do
- It's their responsibility, that one of the reasons you accept paying extra for a brand new moho!

For the future, in my experience Fiat truck garages are brilliant for services, very careful of your pride & joy.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
^^ This ^^

Unless you contact the dealership first, you'll be laying yourself open to extra expense.
If Fiat do agree to the work being done by someone other than the MH Dealership, then get it in writing.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Feel your pain as with all the suggestions dealer first by all means call but I'd recommend you follow up with an e-mail recording everything that has been said and agreed.

I had an experience a number of years ago with new Zafira that drank oil. After having the engine replaced at Vauxhalls cost I ended up with a different 3 month old vehicle 15 months later but only because I had recorded everything in writing. It's a pain especially after your bad year but I am sure it will be sorted.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
by all means call but I'd recommend you follow up with an e-mail recording everything that has been said and agreed.
Ooooooh yes!
I once had a manager who claimed that "If it's not in writing it never happened"
And that means a fully detailed email from you with an ACKNOWLEDGEING and AGREEING email back from them.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
As the problem is with the base vehicle call FIAT assist and they can arrange to have a local Fiat professional garage look at it. My experience with Fiat has been OK (only sat nav issue) and they used seat covers same as they would if it were a car no 18st grease monkeys, and much easier than going back to supplying dealer. Not all supplying dealers can work on the base vehicle anyway so they would just take it to local Fiat garage so you may as well do it yourself.....

Most importantly don't worry about it, nuisance at most and hopefully a new seal and all will be well and from the picture it does not look like its flooding out.. Even if it needs a new gearbox hopefully it wont take too long to get one in.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi Dub Dog. Feel your pain. Hope 2017 will be a turnaround for you and yours. Having read through the posts, I would agree that you must put the ball back in your dealer's court. Follow the correct procedures and there will be no comeback. Don't give your dealer any excuse not to have your NH repaired as quickly as possible. You may be pleasantly surprised and 'things happen'. Hope so.
If you hit problems, there is so much experience on here that you will be guided correctly through the next stage of your problem.
Take a walk round the block then sit down and plan your next move. Open a file and keep everything together. Hopefully this file will only contain one or two pieces of paper by the time your MH is fixed.
Best wishes, Mike

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh no. Just thought a motorhome company might be more motorhome friendly than say a truck workshop.

Nope.

They won't do base vehicle work themselves anyway.

Wherever you end up taking it to, including the original dealer, it will end up at a Fiat Commercial garage to have the work done.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
marquis warranty department/customer services?? the directors were joking when they opened that department. worst customer service I ever or was that NEVER received from any company

go with your nearest fiat commercial garage

To be fair to Marquis and provide balance to the above statement, we bought a brand new Kon-Tiki 669 from Marquis in Newbury a couple of months ago and I can't speak highly enough about the customer care and attention they have provided us.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Really appreciate your positive attitude, thanks. I'm normally like that but this year has knocked the stuffing out of me. All of what you say is true and we will get it sorted and get back on the horse as it were.
We want to take my father in law out for the day to the coast in it soon as his chemotherapy is knocking him for six and we want to do it before he can't or doesn't want to.
Like you said, just teething problems and hopefully we will be sorted soon.
Love your threads by the way. (y)
To be fair DB, I will ONLY take ours to a truck service place.
Always had the very best service possible, always damned quick and always comes back as clean as a whistle ( the ones I use actually wash her for me before I collect FOC )
Remember, a place that does trucks is more than aware a lorry off the road is costing the owner mega bucks.. They are used to working to a strict deadline.. And to a strict pricing code too ( although that will not be an issue for you of course )

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Wherever the job is finally done the first contact must be with the supplying dealer who is contractually liable, he should make the decision .
As its the base vehicle I don't think so and probably a waste of time if he is going to say "Contact Fiat Assist"

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back