Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (9 Viewers)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
this would if it was say sum one in say Portugal and the person was say in the uk it would take time to arrange flights things like that so it not exactly thunder birds are GO
But with some thought abut the logistics of it could work
bill

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am not sure whether you highlighted my post or you always post in bold.

I am assuming that as you realise how important to are in your domestic arrangements, that you have taken up on one of the various, reasonably priced repatriation schemes for cases such as yours.

If you highlighted my post, taking umbridge with my statement, being disabled and unable to drive, is a world away from being qualified to drive but won't because "it's too big and scary"

As an ex driving instructor, I can totally understand that somebody would not want to drive a vehicle that THEY thought "it's too big and scary". Fear is personal, to that person and it would NOT - IMO - be safe or sensible to drive such a vehicle. But trying to find somebody that could drive such a vehicle in an emergency and while you are under stress, would IMO be the very clever thing to do. Just a thought you understand.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
if its "too big and scary" Don't buy the bloody thing! That IMO would be the clever thing to do!

Why choose a vehicle that your not prepared to drive? or go away without insurance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
if its "too big and scary" Don't buy the bloody thing! That IMO would be the clever thing to do!

Why choose a vehicle that your not prepared to drive? or go away without insurance?

I look back on my very long life and as I sit in the sun and contemplate my navel, wish that I could have been as clever as you seem to have been, such forward thinking, look ahead and plan for every emergency, make sure that every body in the vehicle can drive the " Bloody thing" even when your husband has had a heart attack, or is seriously ill......Stiff upper lip and drive the BLOODY THING home!!!

Yup! that's the way to do it!!!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just check on here the 1's who are willing to help or be helped and forget the 1's who dont job done from what i saw it was just someone trying to help yet as normal a small group wish to shoot it down in flames i for 1 would rather someone drive my mh home that it being put on the back of a recovery truck

why dont u say who said the quote it was me and it was aimed at not bothering to ask people to help with all their negativity i never said not to help them just dont expect them to help you if this is you trying to score low points then it proves to me what you are really like you are normally quick to put your 2 peneth in back sometimes it can bite u right in the arse i noticed you never put the fact you think people who need help due to no insurance are stupid so lets go for tit for tat if you really want to

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Actually, its called never making a mistake, never putting a foot wrong, never leaving yourself venerable. The point is some people do make mistakes, do forget to MOT the car or MH, do forget to get the travel insurance, and above all do need help from others.

We can all run somebody else's life better than them, because we like to think we are much cleverer than them......we aint we just make different mistakes.

Help is something you give freely without judgement, if you cannot do that, then you walk away, they don't need anybody to tell them they are piggin idiots....they know that already!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
why dont you say who said the quote it was me and it was aimed at not bothering to ask people to help with all their negativity i never said not to help them just dont expect them to help you if this is you trying to score low points then it proves to me what you are really like you are normally quick to put your 2 peneth in back sometimes it can bite you right in the arse i noticed you never put the fact you think people who need help due to no insurance are stupid so lets go for tit for tat if you really want to

And you think those that travel without insurance are not stupid :rolleyes:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i dont think you have any right to call anyone stupid

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
there aint 1 large enough :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The person who never made a mistake hasn't yet been born.

The person who will never make a mistake will spend the rest of his / her life in a coma for the rest of it.

Let's move on.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Only been about 12 hours since I was online. I always find it stunning in internet forums when a thread starts arguing insignificant points that nobody raised, like lack of travel insurance.
The point was not to replace recovery or insurance, but to augment it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Only been about 12 hours since I was online. I always find it stunning in internet forums when a thread starts arguing insignificant points that nobody raised, like lack of travel insurance.
The point was not to replace recovery or insurance, but to augment it.

I find it stunning too, stunningly brilliant. :) only on a forum would you get all those points thrown up, many might be insignificant but some come out of nowhere and are totally relevant. By having an environment where people are not frightened to throw in what they are thinking then you can get some excellent results. Threads like this work a lot like brainstorming, throwing all those ideas out there. It works, embrace it. (y)

It seems the debate has basically come down to making a list of prospective responders, checking driving entitlement, and taking that list away with you. Or shouting for help on the forum. More than likely it will end up as... And/Or shouting for help on the forum, best of both worlds. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Rita and I rarely find access to the internet whilst travelling abroad, but we do carry a list of folk's phone numbers we have collected over the years of MH'ing, many of whom are members on here. :)
So for us, it would have to be putting someone on the spot initially, to post a "call for help" on our behalf, with a phone number we could be reached on.
That of course, would only be where either Comfort's RAC Recovery, or Britannia's Rescue didn't cover our needs for some reason.

Regards,

Jock.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

My wife does not drive at all, are you suggesting I should sell the motorhome? I do have recovery insurance. Maybe Eddie you have had a bad day, the recent posts are not like you at all.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My wife does not drive at all, are you suggesting I should sell the motorhome? I do have recovery insurance. Maybe Eddie you have had a bad day, the recent posts are not like you at all.

No not at all, as usual with cut and paste posts, I was misquoted. In essence I said that I would be unhappy to make my wife drive back on her own in our motorhome, to drive some one else's motorhome and wife back in their motorhome "if" she was capable of driving.

Surely if as a couple, both of whom drive, buy a motorhome that only one of you are prepared to drive, then the discussion must be had as to what happens if the one driver is incapacitated? Having had that then surely with breakdown cover being so easily available, it would be taken?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am not sure whether you highlighted my post or you always post in bold.
I am assuming that as you realise how important to are in your domestic arrangements, that you have taken up on one of the various, reasonably priced repatriation schemes for cases such as yours.
If you highlighted my post, taking umbridge with my statement, being disabled and unable to drive, is a world away from being qualified to drive but won't because "it's too big and scary"

I always post in bold

It doesn't matter what recovery or repatriation scheme we had in place. If something had happened to me my wife would have been alone waiting for someone on the end of a phone to organise help.

Disabled, unable to drive, reach the toilet unaided, feed herself etc.

Given the numbers on here it is possible/likely that someone might be nearby able to help quickly.

An SOS call or alert to FUN could have made a stressful episode a little easier for her

It's not about insurance or recovery.........it's about help

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that everyone that has posted on this thread has indicated that they would be delighted to offer assistance in any way that they could, and that I think says a lot about Motorhome Fun.

The only disagreement is the best way to go about it.

I personally think that a shout out on the forum would throw the net over the widest possible numbers of potential helpers.

I think that it is only by discussion that any potential faults will be raised and ironed out.

I stand by my point that I would feel unhappy about driving some ones motorhome, if there was a capable driver driver available.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have read this with interest, in principle I think its a great idea unfortunelty in my opinion it would be to hard to make it work.

If any funster ever needs help and I could then I'd help then but personally I can't see many people flying to France or Spain to drive a strangers MH home. I like most if not all on here have taking out recovery for this job and I get your point if someone has heart attack then partner wouldn't want to be bother with taking MH home, isn't that why we take insurance so one call and it's done instead of trying to contact someone and arrange how they will get from uk to wherever.
Let's take an example someone can't drive home due to ill health partner phones me (a total stranger) and asks me to fly to south of France. If its to save them hassle then who arranges the flight do you expect me to arrange and pay for a flight and other expenses, or would you be expecting the worried partner to do all this instead of a phone call to insurance.
Now I know all funsters seem really nice on the forum but to be honest we don't know each other from Adam but we're putting a lot of trust in them and them in us, let's say for instance after doing all the above paying for flights, airport parking, fuel and any other expenses and the funster disputes them. Even the tightest of families can fall out over a couple of £ this cost could be over £1000 if you think about it.

As I said at the start if anyone ever needs help from advice to emergency help then post and if I can help, which I have done in the past I will do all I can.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have read this with interest, in principle I think its a great idea unfortunelty in my opinion it would be to hard to make it work.

If any funster ever needs help and I could then I'd help then but personally I can't see many people flying to France or Spain to drive a strangers MH home. I like most if not all on here have taking out recovery for this job and I get your point if someone has heart attack then partner wouldn't want to be bother with taking MH home, isn't that why we take insurance so one call and it's done instead of trying to contact someone and arrange how they will get from uk to wherever.
Let's take an example someone can't drive home due to ill health partner phones me (a total stranger) and asks me to fly to south of France. If its to save them hassle then who arranges the flight do you expect me to arrange and pay for a flight and other expenses, or would you be expecting the worried partner to do all this instead of a phone call to insurance.
Now I know all funsters seem really nice on the forum but to be honest we don't know each other from Adam but we're putting a lot of trust in them and them in us, let's say for instance after doing all the above paying for flights, airport parking, fuel and any other expenses and the funster disputes them. Even the tightest of families can fall out over a couple of £ this cost could be over £1000 if you think about it.

As I said at the start if anyone ever needs help from advice to emergency help then post and if I can help, which I have done in the past I will do all I can.

And that my friend is the way its always worked. If you post a cry for help on the front page, then that is the only post you will have to do. No messing about phoning umpteen numbers you may or may not have to hand, hoping someone will be able to answer your call. Its worked in the past and I see no reason why it should not work in the future. People getting carried away with "I will fly to your assistance and drive your motorhome home as long as it does not cost me anything" is the last thing in the world anyone wants when they have a major disaster on there hands. I personally have driven the length and breadth of the UK at my own expense several times to help out a funster in trouble, as am sure many others have, so why mend something thats not broke. I have nothing further to say on this, as Coronation Street is on in a minute.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I couldnt agree more Lorger, I would be more than happy to help people, maybe I was reading the thread from the wrong angle, but i was of the opinion that the list, call it what you will, was more about receiving help than driving MH, after all it might just be a case of looking after the MH while the driver/passenger was otherwise engaged looking after the injured partner.

I suppose - if I am at my Spanish house- I could offer accommodation if one member had to stay in this part of Spain and the MH was on its way back to UK or even park it up on my drive until the driver/partner was once again able to continue the journey.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As an aside to "checking driving entitlement" It would be well to bear in mind that many people do not realise that a resident of one EU country cannot drive any foreign registered vehicle in his own country. ( Professional drivers have a different system).
Not sure what you mean by " Near new vehicles" but my MH is a Rimor on Transit chassis year 2001 on Full Comp Spanish reg. :)
Who is it insured with as I cannot get any with a Spanish company.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back