Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (2 Viewers)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I haven't volunteered for Morocco and in the circumstances outlined you are quite right, ?I doubt that anyone would volunteer.

There is no guarantee with this - it is purely voluntary with no obligation on anyone or on the forum given or implied!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For all those that think we need to repair the system we already have may I draw your attention to a funster rally a few years ago when a single funster driving a large RV with a tow car and a VERY large dog on board was taken ill on the Sunday. He was taken to the local doctor by a FUNSTER, the doctor advised that he should go immediately to hospital, and he was taken by a FUNSTER. He was admitted to hospital and had an operation to remove part of his anatomy. The following day a FUNSTER took in his dog for several weeks, a FUNSTER drove his RV and car to a FUNSTER who had room to store it for a few weeks, even though there was no MOT on it at the time. Other FUNSTERS visited him in hospital each day, taking provisions. All this was done without any compromise or payment of any kind, but just because he was a FUNSTER in trouble. I just dont see why anyone would want to mend something thats not broke. If thinking like I do makes me a troll, then so be it.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Don't think you are a trol, but you are a tease....what part of his anatomy did he loose?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Some of us are too new to know this story!

As it happens I didn't have you in mind when I said trolls.

There were other mindless and irrelevant posts just designed to derail the thread!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Some of us are too new to know this story!

As it happens I didn't have you in mind when I said trolls.

There were other mindless and irrelevant posts just designed to derail the thread!

With respect you will find that one thing that we don't have on fun is trolls believe me they would not last long without the need to point them out.

The story about the body part and funster is true and it was amazing the help that was freely given.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The story about the body part and funster is true and it was amazing the help that was freely given.
Yes, I remember that story too, although we weren't on the rally at the time.
Unfortunately the recipient of all that freely given help, doesn't post on here any more. :(

Regards,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I just dont see why anyone would want to mend something thats not broke.

Since the forum started back in July 2007, there have been several occasions when funsters have rallied to the call for help from other members. .. RR was a good example.. ... and like you Dave, don't see the requirement to mend it. .. What we have works well.

If someone needed help and I was in a position to offer it, I would be out of my chair like greased lightning .. and I would expect the vast majority of members would also jump to help in required.

I would suggest that all that is required is an Emergency Forum and for those without internet access a few volunteers who are willing to accept emergency telephone calls and co ordinate a response.

Please don't take it personally FS2 .. it was a good suggestion .. and it has a lot of merit.. without your post we wouldn't be discussing it :)

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Like you Jim I can think of many times FUNSTERS have been helped over the years, mostly by the silent majority. I have never know a call for help be unanswered, or help refused. All I can see this scheme doing is ostracising those that are willing and able to help others without advertising the fact. It has already been stated by one "FUNSTER" that if your name is not on there list, dont ask for any help :mad:.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It has already been stated by one "FUNSTER" that if your name is not on there list, dont ask for any help
Really? I must have missed that and cannot be bothered to trawl back thorough to find it. But if that is the case then I for one do not want to part of a scheme that excludes someone. Segregation is not what we are about on here, definitely not.

We have received lots of help from Funsters in the few years we have been members and hopefully helped a few in return. From delivering stuff to save someone a long drive, even had one Funster paying for stuff so we didn't mess people about, they didn't question it, just paid and then let me know.

I know these things are trivial compared to some of the senereos mentioned on here, but the fact is we help each other already so this scheme already exists, in an unspoken, ungoverened, free sort of way. Why does is have to be formalised?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
For all those that think we need to repair the system we already have may I draw your attention to a funster rally a few years ago when a single funster driving a large RV with a tow car and a VERY large dog on board was taken ill on the Sunday. He was taken to the local doctor by a FUNSTER, the doctor advised that he should go immediately to hospital, and he was taken by a FUNSTER. He was admitted to hospital and had an operation to remove part of his anatomy. The following day a FUNSTER took in his dog for several weeks, a FUNSTER drove his RV and car to a FUNSTER who had room to store it for a few weeks, even though there was no MOT on it at the time. Other FUNSTERS visited him in hospital each day, taking provisions. All this was done without any compromise or payment of any kind, but just because he was a FUNSTER in trouble. I just dont see why anyone would want to mend something thats not broke. If thinking like I do makes me a troll, then so be it.
Fantastic post!

As for the thread? It won't work someone will have to spend a lot of time compiling a list of who's where, what they can drive, and what their prepared to drive

With my insurance, I get RAC arrival. If I or Lyn (yes my wife drives a 32' motorhome) can't drive, the RAC will repatriate our RV

I would have little sympathy, but would help, in a case where hubby can't drive home from Spain, hadn't bothered to take any insurance out and "wifey" was too pathetic to drive home in an emergency! I say pathetic, as for me to drive the "stranded" Motorhome, home, my wife would have to drive our motorhome, home!

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Like you Jim I can think of many times FUNSTERS have been helped over the years, mostly by the silent majority. I have never know a call for help be unanswered, or help refused. All I can see this scheme doing is ostracising those that are willing and able to help others without advertising the fact. It has already been stated by one "FUNSTER" that if your name is not on there list, dont ask for any help :mad:.
Dave that is nonsence if your name is not on wat ever list and u needed help u think anyone one here would say bollox your not on the list your on your own. Rubbish Dave if u needed help u would get help. And there will be no numbers in public just between party's involved. I have also spoken to the rac. If u need your Motorhome brought back by them it takes 10-14 working days in the summer it could be 21 days. So wat I am saying is if u need your Motorhome brought back streight to your door get in contact arrange it between your selfs with a list of volunteers on the forum.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I would have little sympathy, but would help, in a case where hubby can't drive home from Spain, hadn't bothered to take any insurance out and "wifey" was too pathetic to drive home in an emergency! I say pathetic, as for me to drive the "stranded" Motorhome, home, my wife would have to drive our motorhome, home!

For 2 years I traveled with my disabled wife, who needed constant care who could no longer drive at all.

If something had happened to me (say in the middle of France) it might have helped if someone who knew motorhomes were close by, and they might be able to help

An SOS alert on the site might have made the difference in an emergency - to my wife - until one of our sons could reach her................

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So you have a list of 20, 50, a 100 funsters who have said, "yes if you're stuck please give us a call" Fair enough if you want to do that I'll help. Though I doubt I would use that list.

Personally, rather than go down a list and ring people who I don't know at silly 'o clock and put them on the spot, I'd prefer to ask for help on the forum. That way I'd reach far more people than those on any list. And of those not on the list there might be plenty uniquely positioned to help me. So build the list with with my blessing and I'll help. But as that rude man called Ballantyne would say "I'm out" ;)

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Personally, rather than go down a list and ring someone at silly 'o clock who I don't know and put them on the spot, I'd prefer to ask for help on the forum.

Exactly, I would not want to put anyone on the spot. We have a huge network of people on here and where as some might not want to put their name on a list, if a Funster was in trouble in their area they would be more than willing to jump to the rescue, or at least offer a driveway to park on.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
For 2 years I traveled with my disabled wife, who needed constant care who could no longer drive at all.

If something had happened to me (say in the middle of France) it might have helped if someone who knew motorhomes were close by, and they might be able to help

An SOS alert on the site might have made the difference in an emergency - to my wife - until one of our sons could reach her......

I am not sure whether you highlighted my post or you always post in bold.

I am assuming that as you realise how important to are in your domestic arrangements, that you have taken up on one of the various, reasonably priced repatriation schemes for cases such as yours.

If you highlighted my post, taking umbridge with my statement, being disabled and unable to drive, is a world away from being qualified to drive but won't because "it's too big and scary"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why not leave things as they are pretty much but ask people who do need emergency help for any reason to post to a sticky or pinned thread or section of the forum which is updated by deleting posts once the situation is resolved? Jim, if you would be willing to delegate the policing task to a small group of members (yes I will volunteer for that for a while at least) it should not involve you in much more work.

I would envisage something like "Help I have been taken ill can anyone help with the dog? I am in Thisplace, Anycountry, and my contact number is 0777 1234567" (just an example). It does mean giving out a phone number but in an emergency situation there has to be some give. (Basic PAYG phones are so cheap no reason why you shouldn't have an emergency phone for times you want to be contacted on a short term basis)

It doesn't have to be a recovery service as most people do have repatriation insurance but it's the other things that help out in difficult situations.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave that is nonsence if your name is not on wat ever list and you needed help you think anyone one here would say bollox your not on the list your on your own. Rubbish Dave if you needed help you would get help. And there will be no numbers in public just between party's involved. I have also spoken to the rac. If you need your Motorhome brought back by them it takes 10-14 working days in the summer it could be 21 days. So wat I am saying is if you need your Motorhome brought back streight to your door get in contact arrange it between your selfs with a list of volunteers on the forum.
I wouldnt call this nonsense or as you put it bollox. This is extracted from an earlier post by a "funster". How would you interpret this ?.

"just check on here the 1's who are willing to help or be helped and forget the 1's who dont job done"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
So you have a list of 20, 50, a 100 funsters who have said, "yes if you're stuck please give us a call" Fair enough if you want to do that I'll help. Though I doubt I would use that list.

Personally, rather than go down a list and ring people at silly 'o clock who I don't know and put them on the spot, I'd prefer to ask for help on the forum. That way I'd reach far more people than those on any list. And of those not on the list there might be plenty uniquely positioned to help me. So build the list with with my blessing and I'll help. But as that rude man called Ballantyne would say "I'm out" ;)
That's fine

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I wouldnt call this nonsense or as you put it bollox. This is extracted from an earlier post by a "funster". How would you interpret this ?.
"just check on here the 1's who are willing to help or be helped and forget the 1's who dont job done"
Well Dave no problem if u needed help dave all I can say just get in contact.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Challenging is not being negative about something, it is being constructive.

Exactly. I have been in the same situation at work and been accused of being negative. Well part of finance planning is risk management - looking at the worst possible scenario and planning for it. That isn't negative in my book but a positive - making sure that should things happen there is a protocol for dealing with it.

I would be happy to help anyone who is in trouble in any way I could. I am legally entitled to drive up to 7.5 tonnes plus trailer. I have driven a 7.5 tonne vehicle many years ago. I have pulled a trailer but not on the 7.5 tonner. I would be neither happy nor confident to drive a 7.5 tonner plus trailer without practice but would do so if there was absolutely no alternative.

However I do love animals and would be more than happy to look after dogs, chickens, other poultry if required.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well Dave no problem if you needed help dave all I can say just get in contact.
I think that fundamentally this is the problem. If I was in an area and some one wanted help, I would gladly help, and I believe that the majority of us would do what we can.

I hate lists, whether it is LPG stations, Aires, pubs that allow dogs in or campsites with slipways! Invariably I'm left disappointed. Some one has to compile the list, but more importantly maintain the list for it to be effective. I'm crap at answering the phone at the best of times, I've just bought a new phone and changed my number and family members are moaning that I've forgotten to let them have the new number, so remembering to updat a list that I signed up for two years ago has no chance.

Then, you'll have people that need to use the list, moaning at the people that maintain the list that all the information is out of date, and that they relied on it........

The whole point of a forum is to get up to date information from as many people as possible. Fun threads slide down the page so quickly as Fun is THE motorhome forum, nothing better in Europe! facts had died since Dave sold it to a Canadian advertising company, so a shout out on Fun reaches so many people, and not just Fun members, if I read that some one was stuck in Paris and I had friends in Paris, I'd contact them to see if they could assist

I wouldn't however, put my name on a list, compile a list or offer to maintain a list, and as Jim said there could be insurance implications as well

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I haven't kept up with the thread and haven't read all the posts but, I have given this a lot of thought so, I apologise if what I am about to say has already been said.

I personally would not think of going abroad without proper recovery and repatriation cover for the mh, I have always believed in self reliance however, there are possibly times when a little assistance may be of great help.
It is all well and good to add volunteers to a list of possible helpers but, how many of those would actually be available at the time help is required, you could waste a lot of time and effort at a time of stress trolling through the volunteers.

Would it not be more effective to have a "mayday" facility on the site so that anyone who is available and able to assist can make themselves known to those in distress at the time?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Such a scheme runs in Australia where the CMCA, the only motorhome club, publishes lists of thousands of people, with their telephone numbers and area, who are willing to offer help if needed. This could work here, but only for the UK. I don't see how lists are necessary. If you need help post your problem and people who can help will do so.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Would it not be more effective to have a "mayday" facility on the site so that anyone who is available and able to assist can make themselves known to those in distress at the time?

I don't see how lists are necessary. If you need help post your problem and people who can help will do so.

Having thought and pondered over this in the wee small hours I think a section on the forum for people who have an emergency and need help is the way to go as long as past emergencies were removed once the situation was resolved. There would still be the problem of people who need help being able to post on the list (not everyone has internet access when they are away) but the list should not be the first place to turn for help anyway.

I would not be happy with my personal contact details published on a widely accessible forum and perhaps others feel the same way.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
What a superb thread which for me demonstrates the very essence of why MotorhomeFun is such a successful forum! What started out was an idea, probably born out of a perceived need, that was thrown open to discussion. Various points were passed back and forth, there were many generous offers of help, some disagreements, and perhaps some misunderstandings too as there always will be within a group of FRIENDS!

But the net result seems to be polarising into some sort of "voluntary scheme" that will need very little involvement from any one person (including Jim) but at the same time give a route for those in need of help to follow. Give it a few more posts then it should be possible to summarise so that Jim can do one of his forum help thingies and everyone who joins this brilliant community has yet another resource to make our hobby/lifestyle even more enjoyable.

Not everyone will agree, but let's all agree to disagree and as I've already said - that's MotorhomeFun.co.uk!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have volunteered for this scheme but know from personal experience (local authority emergency responder volunteers) how difficult it is to a) maintain a list, and b) how difficult it is to get hold of certain people at awkward times.
I can see that if there is an immediate need then perhaps an 'SOS' posting might be the best option. No matter what the time of day or night there always seems to be someone logged into the forum. I appreciate that this may not necessarily be someone who can personally respond immediately but often they may 'know a man who can'. Also by then going into a personal PM, phone numbers can be exchanged and hopefully solutions discussed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
the trouble is that if you have a section for emergencies, it will only be read by people in trouble. Everyone that has read or posted on this thread managed to find it on the home page, so what about the idea that if your in trouble SHOUT OUT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back