Motorhome fun rescue scheme? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
There's a post saying about bringing a Motorhome back from where ever UK or Europe. I suggested why can't we set our own scheme up amongst friends if any body who gets into trouble who can't drive back for any reason can we help by getting at least the Motorhome back.i know we all have insurance but peace of mind of a friend brining you or your Motorhome back or even both. So any ideas if it could be done. Remember it's just an idea.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How about some form of group with members registered who are willing/insured to drive other vehicles, along with their respective catchment area, and something along the lines of an SOS board?
May also need to include classes of licence entitlement?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it would be a really good idea. Obviously there would be insurance to sort out for driving the stranded MH but a phone call to the insurer should sort that out PDQ.

I'm not sure if we would need a formal list or not as I have seen so many offers of help when someone is in trouble - and that is just the offers on the public forum.

If there is to be a formal list I'll sign up for it to help people stranded in SE Scotland or who want to return to SE Scotland (at least).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've often thought that it would be nice to do 'delivery trips' with motorhomes. This is done in the sailing fraternity all the time. A similar sort of thing perhaps? I'd do it (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think it would be a really good idea. Obviously there would be insurance to sort out for driving the stranded MH but a phone call to the insurer should sort that out PDQ.
I just checked my policy, I am covered to drive other vehicles, also strangely my policy covers me for commuting to work also, I will have to try that one day. Anyway I digress, I suspect that most of us on here will have some sort of coverage for other vehicles on a 3rd party basis. It would be up to the MH owner to upgrade to a temp. named driver, which I doubt would cost much.
Obviously I think this is a brilliant idea, and if this takes off you can count me in for Surrey/Dorset area.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Great so we need ideas. As for insurance well I am sure they will be an idea out there need to ask jim wat he think it is his site

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just diverging a bit, but has anyone had anything to do with european couriering, love to do some , have two pickups , a small one and a 3.5 tonner, but have I left it to late now at 67, how would you go about it? Seen in France Brits who deliver groceries from tesco and the like to Brits living there, wouldn't mind having a go at that.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not wanting to put a damper on this, but when you can get basic cover for about £30, is there really anybody daft enough not to have some breakdown cover ?

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Not wanting to put a damper on this, but when you can get basic cover for about £30, is there really anybody daft enough not to have some breakdown cover ?
your missing the point it's not about insurance it's about peace of mind getting Motorhome back home or people back home easier than flying if they can't fly. Remember it's just an idea

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just diverging a bit, but has anyone had anything to do with european couriering, love to do some , have two pickups , a small one and a 3.5 tonner, but have I left it to late now at 67, how would you go about it? Seen in France Brits who deliver groceries from tesco and the like to Brits living there, wouldn't mind having a go at that.
Wrong thread.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not a damper at all, all the rescue services will start to load your renewal based upon number of recoveries, and indeed some only cover a 10 mile tow to get you to safety. Should the main/only driver be incapacitated in any way, this isn't a great help. This was the scenario that kicked off this thread.
Obviously it would be up to the individual owner as to whether to call the rescue service, or get onto Fun to get a volunteer to get you all the way home!

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Not a damper at all, all the rescue services will start to load your renewal based upon number of recoveries, and indeed some only cover a 10 mile tow to get you to safety. Should the main/only driver be incapacitated in any way, this isn't a great help. This was the scenario that kicked off this thread.
Obviously it would be up to the individual owner as to whether to call the rescue service, or get onto Fun to get a volunteer to get you all the way home!
yes and the people who need help would need to sort out the cost of wat it takes to get them back. But it's about peace of mind

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wrong thread.
I know it is , I said that, still interested in your idea, thought you as a lorry driver might have some ideas , that's all, can't realy start a new thread on it on a mh forum, no harm in asking

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I guess it would be a little like the channel 9 used to be on the CB. You could ask for help anywhere, but channel 9 had people dedicated to listening out for help calls?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There's a post saying about bringing a Motorhome back from where ever UK or Europe. I suggested why can't we set our own scheme up amongst friends if any body who gets into trouble who can't drive back for any reason can we help by getting at least the Motorhome back.i know we all have insurance but peace of mind of a friend brining you or your Motorhome back or even both. So any ideas if it could be done. Remember it's just an idea.
Good idea, but I think the big issue will be the insurance. How many people are covered to drive other motorhomes rather than cars on their policy?

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I am very pleased to say that there have been many occasions when Funsters have gone a long way out of there way to help other funsters
And not just with those abroad with motorhome problems
I would list some of there names here, but I am sure that is the last thing they would want
You know who you are
Well done those funsters , this is what this club of ours is all about

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But but but. We can get round that that's y I have asked for ideas
Insurance is dominated by "computer says no" mentality.

I was only trying to be realistic about the prospects of actually phoning up and getting insurance just like that........ There is nothing at all wrong with putting an opinion on a thread in answer to a question. It is a very valid "but"

How can you get around it? Any ideas welcome in this computer generated quoted business

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Insurance is dominated by "computer says no" mentality.

I was only trying to be realistic about the prospects of actually phoning up and getting insurance just like that........ There is nothing at all wrong with putting an opinion on a thread in answer to a question. It is a very valid "but"

How can you get around it? Any ideas welcome in this computer generated quoted business
we will find a way.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I would be happy to help,close to the N10 between Poitiers and Angouleme.Trucker for many years,accident and points free.
However vehicles in France are insured for any driver normally.
This does mean we have no cover for UK registered vehicles.When I go to the IOM with my mate from Reading he puts me on his UK insurance so I can share the driving.
Just a thought but the original idea is sound and could be reciprocal for many on here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back