Motorhome cooking and recipes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gordoncbrown, Mar 30, 2012.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Just thought I'd see what peoples favourite recipes or meals are in th MH . I really enjoy some local farm shop meat , fatties and veg, bit of mustard. Easy meals are obviously chilli, stew etc. what else can we suggest. I do like take aways as well but although my local delivers free and asks for your home address, which I give, I think they might refuse to deliver when I am away from home. :Smile:

2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Couscous

Merguez & ratatouille

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Home made

:thumb: AVOCADO PIZZA:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Curry prepared at home,frozen and defrosted in the fridge usually consumed on the second day. First night steak and potatoes. If on hook up,on a Sunday beef,roasties and yorkshires with cauliflower cheese,roasties and yorks done in the double skillet.
    At home I prepare a glazed ham,cooking it first in cherry cola,double wrapped in greaseproof in can last up to a fortnight in the fridge. Ready for lunches,with eggs and the bits in fried rice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned steak and ale pies yet. :Wink:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  6. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

OK Steak and Ale Pies.
    But really Hunters Hot Chicken Curry (99p a tin from Aldi) with a bunch of chappattis.
    Geoff.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We do a Jamie Oliver red pepper bolognese at home a lot, so we will give it a try next time we're away in the mh.:thumb:

Also, Nigella's chicken, chorizo, potato "creation" with onions, garlic, it's all in one roasting tin and in the oven:thumb:

8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

This sounds good, we've tried a few things at Aldi recently and they've been pretty good. The last one was a very nice bottle of red wine at the very affordable price of £2.99:thumb::Eek!:

Their Red Label tea was also pretty good too:Smile: in fact I got a really tasty frozen pizza (a vegetarian one) with lots of toppings on, for only 99p. I was expecting too much when I got it, but I was really impressed by it.

The only problem was it was too big for the mh freezer box, so it had to stay at home:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Got to admit I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" but Aldi definitely buck that trend with a lot of their stuff. The curry was bought just to try and I wasn't expecting too much, but it was so good and made with proper chicken breast, I start to panic now if our stocks are running low. (Hope I haven't prompted panic buying of Hunters chicken curry now):Laughing:
    Geoff.

10. scek

scek Read Only Funster

Bangers n' Mash

11. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

That would be a "first" in my life !!Seeing a British cooking blackfoot meals !!:Eeek::Eeek:Now Have you any arabian members in your family, or blackfoot members like me????
    If not ... who taught you how to prepare the seeds of couscous??? (dunno if seeds is the right word) Do you make it the old way , between your fingers? and in a cloth??Tell me all !!! Please!!!

Amicalement

Frankie:BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Yummy !!

Beef, onions and mushrooms cooked in Guinness in the slow cooker...next day put a suet pastry crust on the top in a pie dish and serve with Mash, Braised Red Onions and Cauliflower Cheese ! Mike & Carolyn will be my guests next week !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

For a very easy, very tasty and - not a lot of washing up!

Chop loads of different vegetables (not too small) - potatoes, parsnips, onions, peppers, carrots etc etc with either cubed chicken or pork, put them in an oven dish, moving them around every 10 minutes oe so, and cook until the potatoes are cooked and brown. For the last 5 minutes drizzle sweet chilli sauce over the top. Delicious!

We have brought our Actifry with us this time and it is just as delicious cooked in that!

Ginny

• Like Like x 1
  14. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

If you have a hook up and a Remoska you can put just about anything in it and you will have a tasty meal. I did curries and casseroles, roast chicken / pork / lamb. Made risotto, lasagne blah blah blah. Baked cakes, cheesy puffy sconey thinghys (recipe under Marjal rally 2012) and cooked up part baked bread when required. Also did a lovely cheese and onion melt on some bought bread that had gone a bit hard.
    En route home my Dream Pot came into it's own and instead of just using for rice, which it does well, I made a chicken casserole, ready when we were. Yummy. Made many a curry in it as well.
    We are home now, has the Remoska been retired in favour of the oven? Nooooo, last night I did a beef casserole in it along with dumplings. Those I could have pushed into the sauce more or turned but instead I let the top heat crisp up as an experiment, it was all delicious!
    Jane :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  15. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

all most anything with the Chobb

We bring, chilli made the day before and either heat it up in the microwave (genny) or in the chobb.. make bread in it... often bring South African food and cook that or a good curry home made again.. i.e made just before eating using the chobb.. almost anything we would have at home.. flat ties (South African chicken).

When away you can eat what you like even if you do not have an EHU.. just have a look at the chobb and the various items available to use on it.. wok, frying pan, griddle, grill, smoker, oven, etc., etc.,

Bob

16. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Our favourites are the one pot top-of-the-stove casseroles. Chuck everything in, cook for about 40 minutes and serve variously with rice/potatoes/pasta/noodles or couscous according to the flavourings/veg we have added to the pot. So, we can make Spanish fabadas, Moroccan tagines or anything else which uses meat that cooks quickly.

During this Marjal soujourn I have been experimenting more with the Cadac, the latest dishes being welsh cakes, ratatouille and corned beef hash. The only thing I have yet to cook in the Cadac paella pan is a paella.

Carolyn :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Frankie, we buy couscous in a packet, put it in a bowl, pour on hot stock (sometimes mixed with orange juice), cover and leave until liquid absorbed. Then separate grains with a fork and add things like toasted almonds, chopped dried apricots, spring onions, or parsley, etc.
    Perhaps doing it the traditional way would be a good demo for the next meet you're at?

Carolyn x

• Like Like x 3
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

For us we eat just the same as at home :thumb: or possibly better because we will try local goodies ie pasties when in Cornwall etc,etc,which we could not get from home.I remember a few yrs back going about 30 mls each way to try "CLUTIE DUMPLINGS" (NEVER HEARD OF THEM BUT SOUNDED TOO GOOD TO MISS) turned out to be bloody fruit cake :Doh: I have stopped ordering pies etc in pubs/restaurants because I can make a lot better ones a lot cheaper in the van :thumb: Steaks are off the menu again a lot better cooked from meat brought from home.I only try the odd Chinese and Fish and chips which are either good or crap :BigGrin: None of this Paella and cuss cuss stuff give me a good Trad British meal any day.:thumb::Rofl1:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

The silence is deafening !!

I notice there is nowt from JJ...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  20. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

On the subject of Aldi, OH said to mention that their St. Etienne 4-pack of continental lager/beer is really good at around 65p per can. Just like a proper continental lager should taste like.
    Worth a try:thumb:
    Also, Aldi must be the cheapest place to buy Manuka honey, at £3.49 per jar:thumb:

Margaret:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2