Motorhome cooking and recipes (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just thought I'd see what peoples favourite recipes or meals are in th MH . I really enjoy some local farm shop meat , fatties and veg, bit of mustard. Easy meals are obviously chilli, stew etc. what else can we suggest. I do like take aways as well but although my local delivers free and asks for your home address, which I give, I think they might refuse to deliver when I am away from home. :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Curry prepared at home,frozen and defrosted in the fridge usually consumed on the second day. First night steak and potatoes. If on hook up,on a Sunday beef,roasties and yorkshires with cauliflower cheese,roasties and yorks done in the double skillet.
At home I prepare a glazed ham,cooking it first in cherry cola,double wrapped in greaseproof in can last up to a fortnight in the fridge. Ready for lunches,with eggs and the bits in fried rice.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
OK Steak and Ale Pies.
But really Hunters Hot Chicken Curry (99p a tin from Aldi) with a bunch of chappattis.
Geoff.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We do a Jamie Oliver red pepper bolognese at home a lot, so we will give it a try next time we're away in the mh.:thumb:

Also, Nigella's chicken, chorizo, potato "creation" with onions, garlic, it's all in one roasting tin and in the oven:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
OK Steak and Ale Pies.
But really Hunters Hot Chicken Curry (99p a tin from Aldi) with a bunch of chappattis.

This sounds good, we've tried a few things at Aldi recently and they've been pretty good. The last one was a very nice bottle of red wine at the very affordable price of £2.99:thumb::whatthe:

Their Red Label tea was also pretty good too:Smile: in fact I got a really tasty frozen pizza (a vegetarian one) with lots of toppings on, for only 99p. I was expecting too much when I got it, but I was really impressed by it.

The only problem was it was too big for the mh freezer box, so it had to stay at home:RollEyes:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Got to admit I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" but Aldi definitely buck that trend with a lot of their stuff. The curry was bought just to try and I wasn't expecting too much, but it was so good and made with proper chicken breast, I start to panic now if our stocks are running low. (Hope I haven't prompted panic buying of Hunters chicken curry now):roflmto:
Geoff.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Couscous

Merguez & ratatouille

:thumb:

That would be a "first" in my life !!Seeing a British cooking blackfoot meals !!:Eeek::Eeek:Now Have you any arabian members in your family, or blackfoot members like me????
If not ... who taught you how to prepare the seeds of couscous??? (dunno if seeds is the right word) Do you make it the old way , between your fingers? and in a cloth??Tell me all !!! Please!!!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yummy !!

Beef, onions and mushrooms cooked in Guinness in the slow cooker...next day put a suet pastry crust on the top in a pie dish and serve with Mash, Braised Red Onions and Cauliflower Cheese ! Mike & Carolyn will be my guests next week !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
For a very easy, very tasty and - not a lot of washing up!

Chop loads of different vegetables (not too small) - potatoes, parsnips, onions, peppers, carrots etc etc with either cubed chicken or pork, put them in an oven dish, moving them around every 10 minutes oe so, and cook until the potatoes are cooked and brown. For the last 5 minutes drizzle sweet chilli sauce over the top. Delicious!

We have brought our Actifry with us this time and it is just as delicious cooked in that!

Ginny

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you have a hook up and a Remoska you can put just about anything in it and you will have a tasty meal. I did curries and casseroles, roast chicken / pork / lamb. Made risotto, lasagne blah blah blah. Baked cakes, cheesy puffy sconey thinghys (recipe under Marjal rally 2012) and cooked up part baked bread when required. Also did a lovely cheese and onion melt on some bought bread that had gone a bit hard.
En route home my Dream Pot came into it's own and instead of just using for rice, which it does well, I made a chicken casserole, ready when we were. Yummy. Made many a curry in it as well.
We are home now, has the Remoska been retired in favour of the oven? Nooooo, last night I did a beef casserole in it along with dumplings. Those I could have pushed into the sauce more or turned but instead I let the top heat crisp up as an experiment, it was all delicious!
Jane ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
all most anything with the Chobb

We bring, chilli made the day before and either heat it up in the microwave (genny) or in the chobb.. make bread in it... often bring South African food and cook that or a good curry home made again.. i.e made just before eating using the chobb.. almost anything we would have at home.. flat ties (South African chicken).

When away you can eat what you like even if you do not have an EHU.. just have a look at the chobb and the various items available to use on it.. wok, frying pan, griddle, grill, smoker, oven, etc., etc.,

Bob

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Just thought I'd see what peoples favourite recipes or meals are in th MH . I really enjoy some local farm shop meat , fatties and veg, bit of mustard. Easy meals are obviously chilli, stew etc. what else can we suggest. I do like take aways as well but although my local delivers free and asks for your home address, which I give, I think they might refuse to deliver when I am away from home. :Smile:

Our favourites are the one pot top-of-the-stove casseroles. Chuck everything in, cook for about 40 minutes and serve variously with rice/potatoes/pasta/noodles or couscous according to the flavourings/veg we have added to the pot. So, we can make Spanish fabadas, Moroccan tagines or anything else which uses meat that cooks quickly.

During this Marjal soujourn I have been experimenting more with the Cadac, the latest dishes being welsh cakes, ratatouille and corned beef hash. The only thing I have yet to cook in the Cadac paella pan is a paella.

Carolyn :roflmto:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
That would be a "first" in my life !!Seeing a British cooking blackfoot meals !!:Eeek::Eeek:Now Have you any arabian members in your family, or blackfoot members like me????
If not ... who taught you how to prepare the seeds of couscous??? (dunno if seeds is the right word) Do you make it the old way , between your fingers? and in a cloth??Tell me all !!! Please!!!

Amicalement

Frankie, we buy couscous in a packet, put it in a bowl, pour on hot stock (sometimes mixed with orange juice), cover and leave until liquid absorbed. Then separate grains with a fork and add things like toasted almonds, chopped dried apricots, spring onions, or parsley, etc.
Perhaps doing it the traditional way would be a good demo for the next meet you're at?

Carolyn x

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For us we eat just the same as at home :thumb: or possibly better because we will try local goodies ie pasties when in Cornwall etc,etc,which we could not get from home.I remember a few yrs back going about 30 mls each way to try "CLUTIE DUMPLINGS" (NEVER HEARD OF THEM BUT SOUNDED TOO GOOD TO MISS) turned out to be bloody fruit cake :Doh: I have stopped ordering pies etc in pubs/restaurants because I can make a lot better ones a lot cheaper in the van :thumb: Steaks are off the menu again a lot better cooked from meat brought from home.I only try the odd Chinese and Fish and chips which are either good or crap ::bigsmile: None of this Paella and cuss cuss stuff give me a good Trad British meal any day.:thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
OK Steak and Ale Pies.

On the subject of Aldi, OH said to mention that their St. Etienne 4-pack of continental lager/beer is really good at around 65p per can. Just like a proper continental lager should taste like.
Worth a try:thumb:
Also, Aldi must be the cheapest place to buy Manuka honey, at £3.49 per jar:thumb:

Margaret:roflmto:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Got to admit I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" but Aldi definitely buck that trend with a lot of their stuff. The curry was bought just to try and I wasn't expecting too much, but it was so good and made with proper chicken breast, I start to panic now if our stocks are running low. (Hope I haven't prompted panic buying of Hunters chicken curry now):roflmto:
Geoff.

We love the Aldi chicken in white wine sauce,yummy :Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Here is a nice meal from Aldi for you! Light, filling and quick...ideal for days you don't want to spend too much stove time.

Aldi's lightly dusted yellowfin sole (£1.79)
Asparagus (plenty 99p a bunch aldi)
New potatoes, boiled and then drizzled with olive oil and herbs

Basic, quick and very nce indeed!

I did try couscous for the second time in my life last week and loved it. My previous experience saw a bland example which left me unimpressed so decided I didn't like it. Better half (ex chef) demonstrated what it 'should' be like...and it was very nice indeed!!

Ideal motorhome addition to your cupboard which again is cheap and keeps well is polenta - this can be used for many different things such as a mash substitute, healthy biscuit - allsorts!:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We eat much the same as at home, so just cook anything we fancy be it a bought pie or a carefully constructed Lasagne. Home made bolog sauce, on the 'wet' side, bought Bechamel (in a jar) and ordinary pasta sheets - the 'wet' in the sauce cooks the pasta whilst it's baking if you judge it right. We do use the grill more in the van because it seems a much more even heat than the gas stove here. And a big fat salad. And I cook more puddings whilst we are away! LOL Nothing tricky - brioche and marmalade bread and butter stylee pud, sponge with some tinned fruit or apple in the bottom. Custard or cream. With a bit of luck we take more exercise on hols - so we supposedly walk it off.

Don't own a slow cooker - but rarely on hook-up anyway!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005

Amicalement

Je triche un peu! I was brought up in France in the 50's and 60's. Une amie Bretonne a donnée la recette a Caroline il y a une vingtaine d'années et, bien sur, elle n'emploie que les méthodes anciennes... ::bigsmile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We have a loosely termed risotto quite often. Fry up loads of different veggies with lots of garlic, then rice, then add boiling water or stock, seasoning (herbs/spices or whatever), add meat just before the end and bob's your uncle. We do this in the bottom of the double skillet since it holds a lot and sometimes there's a bit left to be had with baguette the next day. ::bigsmile:

::bigsmile:Ivy

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Je triche un peu! I was brought up in France in the 50's and 60's. Une amie Bretonne a donnée la recette a Caroline il y a une vingtaine d'années et, bien sur, elle n'emploie que les méthodes anciennes... ::bigsmile:

Bretonne? lol !!! On est un peu loin de mon pays l'Algérie ! Well if you say you're doing it the old way......But indeed... It's a bit as if I was telling you I can make proper haggis... a tunisian friend of mine taught me :Eeek::ROFLMAO: Sounds strange doesn't it? but still can be very true ! :winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:thumb:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Bretonne? lol !!! On est un peu loin de mon pays l'Algérie ! Well if you say you're doing it the old way......But indeed... It's a bit as if I was telling you I can make proper haggis... a tunisian friend of mine taught me :Eeek::ROFLMAO: Sounds strange doesn't it? but still can be very true ! :winky:

Amicalement

My nephews make proper haggis. They are both butchers. Happy to bring some to France when I come over at the end of June. I'm looking forwardto some of the french foods ............ and wines when I'm there.:thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Amicalement

Caroline says when we eventually meet up you will have to sample her couscous and give constructive criticism! :winky:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Caroline says when we eventually meet up you will have to sample her couscous and give constructive criticism! :winky:

That's a deal!:thumb::thumb::winky:

See you then sometime ........ for a cooking session . It would be a nice theme for a small meet in France ...!! yummy !! ::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
... chiche! ... :thumb: