More praise for Motorhome Wifi Mimo aerial

Discussion in 'Computers' started by GJH, Jun 21, 2016.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We bought our aerial from Motorhome Wifi at Peterborough last year and noticed the improvement immediately.

It has really proved its value this week though. We are at a THS at Brailes where the mobile phone signal varies between H and H+ on 3 (nothing on O2 or EE) so OK for voice/text but not data. The Mifi with aerial, though, is pulling in a 4G signal on 3 (y)(y)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

Which arial have you got Graham?

Cancel that question... just pressed the link...

I have one of those but it seems to have virtally stopped working since it melted a bit in the sun!

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Are you sure you didn't use it a place mat for a hot Frey Bentos? ;-)

If you can send me your address via PM, I'll get you a new one out via Airmail as I know you're out in Portugal right now? (I think I offered to replace it previously, but I guess you've not been back to the UK since then).

These guys were one of the first to get our 4G roof antenna and have had some great results while touring Europe with it:
    http://ourtour.co.uk/home/always-on-internet-everywhere-the-mifi/

All the best,

Adam

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I have one of those window mounted mimo aerials and to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference with my older 3g mifi, sometimes I seem to get a better signal without it.

It says it is omni directional but does it have to be vertical, which it normally is, or can it be horizontal, does it need to be on a window or anywhere inside the van.

I have tried it always, sometimes it seems to make a difference but others no difference at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've got one as well.

It's worked very well for us, boosting a poor signal up to 3g or 4g and once or twice giving us a poor signal where we had nothing without using it.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i can see that this Arial increases signal for a mifi but is there a way to increase the signal to a phone which would be better for me with unlimited feel at home ?

7. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

I have the roof mounted one and now get a 3g signal at home where I normally have no mobile signal and have to walk between 50m to 300m up the track to get a poor mobile signal to hopefully receive a text.
    Didn't believe I would get any signal at home - very impressed.

8. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Just wondering. Doesn't the mimo element meant that you can pick up and broadcast on the two frequencies (is it 2.5 and 5?). To do that obviously you need to use both antenna leads into a device that has two ports for antenna. If you only used one (in a device with only one input) am I right in thinking that I would get the same performance but only across one wavelength?

Dick

9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There is but they are usually designed to be permanently mounted on a building.

It came up in a thread a while ago. I think @Gromett might have been looking at a way of making one work on a van.

Google "mobile signal booster" and you will see loads of them. The huge variations in price are to do with the area they cover. For use on a van the smallest coverage would be fine.

I've fitted them on buildings and they really do work.

10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Looking at the lead back to the mifi it still seems to depend on loose friction fit connectors, we have issues with ours falling out when moving, or sometimes if just nudged on the dash board, it would be better if they screwed in

not sure if ours is 3G or 4G but the connectors look the same

edit - when in contact with each other we get excellent reception (y)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We now mount ours in a wall net so connectors stay in place. See photo at foot of this page - www.gjh.me.uk/mhnotes/computers.htm

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Mobile phone signal boosters are illegal own and operate in the UK (and Europe).
    http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/coverage/mobile-repeaters/

I'd not want one in my home, never mind the confines of my motorhome as they are unregulated, you don't know what you're getting or what it's outputting, but that is just my personal view.

The exception to this is either a network specific femtocell (eg Vodafone Suresignal which doesn't 'boost' but connects mobile phones via a houses broadband via a phoneline). These have largely been superseded by things like 'WiFi Calling' in the latest iPhone and Andorid devices which EE use to basically do the same thing - divert calls over WiFi.

There is a product for home/office use called a Cel-Fi which can't be used in a motorhome as there are two parts that must be a set distance apart. This is a 'booster' but allows itself to be controlled by the mast:
    https://www.cel-fi.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-mobile-signal-repeater-and-is-it-legal-to-use-one/

As we're talking cellular, we're talking 698-960 / 1700-2700 Mhz (de-tuned for 2.4Ghz) rather than 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz which is WiFi. The MIMO means you have antenna diversity (two antennas), cross polarized (pointing in different directions) and the device is deriving increased capacity from this method. MIMO stands for Multiple Input, Multiple Output. If we're talking about connecting to both 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi that would be dual band.

If TS9 (E5372, E5577), you can tighten them up with a pair of needle nose pliers. The connectors are sacrificial so if stress is placed on the cable, the connectors deform rather than pass the stress onto the device - potentially damaging it.

They shouldn't 'drop out' - if they do, get in touch with us. We always carry replacements at the shows if necessary and you can order them from us if you want some replacements or spares if anyone ever needs any.

Adam

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. jonegood

jonegood Funster

@Addie would it give increased performance over putting your mifi in a sandwich bag out through the heki? This often makes a huge difference.

Jon
    btw getting 4g in most places in Portugal.

• Like Like x 1
  14. klaatu

klaatu Funster

I've just bought one of these -
    - it arrived this morning. Looks like exactly the same thing, but at less than half the price. Seems to work really well, boosting our usually poor signal here at home considerably.

Edit: OK, so there is supposed to be an Amazon link in there, how do I get that to work?

Edit 2: Ah, AdBlocker was blocking it.

Steve