More praise for Motorhome Wifi Mimo aerial (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought our aerial from Motorhome Wifi at Peterborough last year and noticed the improvement immediately.

It has really proved its value this week though. We are at a THS at Brailes where the mobile phone signal varies between H and H+ on 3 (nothing on O2 or EE) so OK for voice/text but not data. The Mifi with aerial, though, is pulling in a 4G signal on 3 (y)(y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Which arial have you got Graham?

Cancel that question... just pressed the link...

I have one of those but it seems to have virtally stopped working since it melted a bit in the sun!

JJ :cool:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have one of those but it seems to have virtually stopped working since it melted a bit in the sun!
JJ :cool:

Are you sure you didn't use it a place mat for a hot Frey Bentos? ;-)

If you can send me your address via PM, I'll get you a new one out via Airmail as I know you're out in Portugal right now? (I think I offered to replace it previously, but I guess you've not been back to the UK since then).

These guys were one of the first to get our 4G roof antenna and have had some great results while touring Europe with it:
http://ourtour.co.uk/home/always-on-internet-everywhere-the-mifi/

All the best,

Adam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I have one of those window mounted mimo aerials and to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference with my older 3g mifi, sometimes I seem to get a better signal without it.

It says it is omni directional but does it have to be vertical, which it normally is, or can it be horizontal, does it need to be on a window or anywhere inside the van.

I have tried it always, sometimes it seems to make a difference but others no difference at all.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got one as well.

It's worked very well for us, boosting a poor signal up to 3g or 4g and once or twice giving us a poor signal where we had nothing without using it.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i can see that this Arial increases signal for a mifi but is there a way to increase the signal to a phone which would be better for me with unlimited feel at home ?

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I have the roof mounted one and now get a 3g signal at home where I normally have no mobile signal and have to walk between 50m to 300m up the track to get a poor mobile signal to hopefully receive a text.
Didn't believe I would get any signal at home - very impressed.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Just wondering. Doesn't the mimo element meant that you can pick up and broadcast on the two frequencies (is it 2.5 and 5?). To do that obviously you need to use both antenna leads into a device that has two ports for antenna. If you only used one (in a device with only one input) am I right in thinking that I would get the same performance but only across one wavelength?

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
i can see that this Arial increases signal for a mifi but is there a way to increase the signal to a phone which would be better for me with unlimited feel at home ?

There is but they are usually designed to be permanently mounted on a building.

It came up in a thread a while ago. I think @Gromett might have been looking at a way of making one work on a van.

Google "mobile signal booster" and you will see loads of them. The huge variations in price are to do with the area they cover. For use on a van the smallest coverage would be fine.

I've fitted them on buildings and they really do work.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looking at the lead back to the mifi it still seems to depend on loose friction fit connectors, we have issues with ours falling out when moving, or sometimes if just nudged on the dash board, it would be better if they screwed in

not sure if ours is 3G or 4G but the connectors look the same

edit - when in contact with each other we get excellent reception (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at the lead back to the mifi it still seems to depend on loose friction fit connectors, we have issues with ours falling out when moving, or sometimes if just nudged on the dash board, it would be better if they screwed in

not sure if ours is 3G or 4G but the connectors look the same

We now mount ours in a wall net so connectors stay in place. See photo at foot of this page - www.gjh.me.uk/mhnotes/computers.htm

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Mobile phone signal boosters are illegal own and operate in the UK (and Europe).

I'd not want one in my home, never mind the confines of my motorhome as they are unregulated, you don't know what you're getting or what it's outputting, but that is just my personal view.

The exception to this is either a network specific femtocell (eg Vodafone Suresignal which doesn't 'boost' but connects mobile phones via a houses broadband via a phoneline). These have largely been superseded by things like 'WiFi Calling' in the latest iPhone and Andorid devices which EE use to basically do the same thing - divert calls over WiFi.

There is a product for home/office use called a Cel-Fi which can't be used in a motorhome as there are two parts that must be a set distance apart. This is a 'booster' but allows itself to be controlled by the mast:
https://www.cel-fi.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-mobile-signal-repeater-and-is-it-legal-to-use-one/

Just wondering. Doesn't the mimo element meant that you can pick up and broadcast on the two frequencies (is it 2.5 and 5?). To do that obviously you need to use both antenna leads into a device that has two ports for antenna. If you only used one (in a device with only one input) am I right in thinking that I would get the same performance but only across one wavelength?

Dick

As we're talking cellular, we're talking 698-960 / 1700-2700 Mhz (de-tuned for 2.4Ghz) rather than 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz which is WiFi. The MIMO means you have antenna diversity (two antennas), cross polarized (pointing in different directions) and the device is deriving increased capacity from this method. MIMO stands for Multiple Input, Multiple Output. If we're talking about connecting to both 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi that would be dual band.

Looking at the lead back to the mifi it still seems to depend on loose friction fit connectors, we have issues with ours falling out when moving, or sometimes if just nudged on the dash board, it would be better if they screwed in not sure if ours is 3G or 4G but the connectors look the same

If TS9 (E5372, E5577), you can tighten them up with a pair of needle nose pliers. The connectors are sacrificial so if stress is placed on the cable, the connectors deform rather than pass the stress onto the device - potentially damaging it.

They shouldn't 'drop out' - if they do, get in touch with us. We always carry replacements at the shows if necessary and you can order them from us if you want some replacements or spares if anyone ever needs any.

Adam

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
@Addie would it give increased performance over putting your mifi in a sandwich bag out through the heki? This often makes a huge difference.

Jon
btw getting 4g in most places in Portugal.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I've just bought one of these - Amazon product ASIN B00DN3J03O - it arrived this morning. Looks like exactly the same thing, but at less than half the price. Seems to work really well, boosting our usually poor signal here at home considerably.

Edit: OK, so there is supposed to be an Amazon link in there, how do I get that to work?

Edit 2: Ah, AdBlocker was blocking it.

Steve

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Any antenna for broadband reception must also be capable of broadcasting. It's the power at which it broadcasts that I think is the question when it comes to legality.

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back