More help with Digital cameras please

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by buttons, Nov 2, 2014.

1. buttons

buttons Funster

Like shifty I have been taking a cursory glance at digital SLR cameras. Not in the same league as himself but in JL today I had a play with this Panasonic Lumix camera with a 24-400mm lens. It is quite hefty but performs well in the reviews I've read. It also has 4k video.
    Anyone have any knowledge on this camera or any suggestions of similar price range. JL price was I think £749.99.
    http://photorumors.com/2014/06/11/p...uperzoom-camera-to-be-announced-in-few-hours/

2. buttons

buttons Funster

No takers yesterday, thought I would try again.:)

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

• Like Like x 3
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I don't think thats a DSLR, it looks more like a "bridge" model to me. That's OK as long as the lens will do everything you will ever need it to do, which looking at that one it should. The 24-400 range sounds great but it does say it's equivalent which means most of it will be digital. It depends what you want to do with it but personally I would prefer to stick with optical zoom, as I find it delivers better results at the longer end. JL price is the same as Wex so it's about right. If it was me I would look at a DSLR with shortish telephoto lens for similar money.

The reviews here although not bad do identify a few issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

Not only cutting he is also attempting to manage without his glasses. Shifty I accept the incorrect topic but perhaps you could explain what the please is all about.:rolleyes:

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've got a much lower spec Panasonic Lumix bridge camera which I keep as a spare. It does a good job, which it should do with a Leica lens on it, so the Lumix range enjoys a good reputation. However, I much prefer to use my Canon DSLR because I can change the lenses if I want to. The model you're considering offers 25-400mm equivalence which would cover most photography needs, but the lens is a permanent fixture.

8. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks Nick, as you can see I didn't do much prep before I posted.I have not had an slr for a number of years so a bit rusty. Not sure what a bridge model is. Are you saying that this cam has a fixed lens. One of the things I liked when trying it was the viewfinder was extremely clear and bright and it appeared very fast in operation. I didn't think about what equivalent meant but now I know. Thanks....I will keep looking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks msb. I still have a number of lens left over from my slr days. I always thought then that I would like a good zoom but never got around to getting one. From the reviews I've read this camera works well, I think one negative would be the weight and size of this zoom but being a bit digital it is nothing like the size of my old optical 400 mm lens.

11. NickNic

Yes, a bridge camera is usually the size and shape of an SLR but has a fixed, non-removable lens. They have their uses but not as a replacement for a DSLR.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Just a question please as a happy snapper who would like to learn a little more
    What will £300 get me as a starter to build on new or used
    Suggestions please

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickNic

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

What's all that about? Stop the sniping please, its not nice.

I saw the word "Please" buttons :) I'll move the thread for you.

• Like Like x 3
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Thank you Jim, I'll pay more attention to the topic in future and maybe send shifty a pair of 3.5s ;)

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Buttons, not sure if you have read it, but DP review has a review of the camera HERE
    Seems like an excellent choice for a superzoom camera and its video capabilities are impressive too ( 4K video)
    Go for it, I don't think you will get anything better with such a long zoom at the price.
    Its just under £680 at SLRHut, HERE
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  17. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

the zoom on this camera will be a true optical 16x zoom from 25 through to 400mm which is the equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera. There will be digital zoom option that will extend the zoom even further. Its a heck of a price tag for a bridge camera but there again to buy a dslr and the lens or lenses covering the same zoom ratio would cost you several times more. The downside to bridge cameras with small sensors packed with massive megapixel numbers is the noise generated between the pixels when taking photos in low light.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Superzoom for me normally means great pictures, in bright light only. I do own a couple of zooms but I prefer to keep a fast 35mm 1.4 prime (non zoom) on my camera. You do a bit more walking without a zoom but the quality with a fast prime, even in the poorest light is superb. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  19. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Agree Jim - below 1/10sec ISO 3200 with my Fuji bridge at Southport. peppered with noise at 100%:eek:but okay up to A4 prints.
    DSCF3416.JPG

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We are looking for a DSLR too. Tesco have them on clubcard boost at the moment.
    £1 voucher = £2 against a camera.