More help with Digital cameras please (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been using an Olympus OMD M10 for the past few months and have been very impressed by its WiFi feature that allows me to easily transfer pictures from the camera to my android tablet. I then use an app called photoresizer to make a smaller copy of the transferred image which uploads onto this site very quickly. This was how all the images in my account of our recent trip to Spain were made. Such as the ones on this page:
Broken Link Removed

I raise this because it wasn't something I looked for when choosing the camera but have subsequently found it invaluable and would recommend anyone looking for a camera to check if it has WiFi. I can also control the camera with a smartphone using the WiFi but that's not something I've used much other than playing with it.
Thanks Db handy to know.

Reactions: DBK

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Just a question please as a happy snapper who would like to learn a little more
What will £300 get me as a starter to build on new or used
Suggestions please
I have a Panasonic Lumix Bridge camera
Panasonic FZ70 / FZ72 review | Cameralabs

As a happy amateur it does a cracking job in the price range you mentioned.
and all the stuff on my media has been taken with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Never, ever, not for any reason ever buy anything from SLRHut. Don't care how cheap they are. They are the worst of the grey import sites. They have no physical UK presence so you aren't protected by Trading Standards or the Distance Selling Regs.. The goods will ship from Hong Kong. User manuals will not be in English. You will have no manufactuers warranty and no support at all from the UK division of the manufacturer. They claim on their site that they provide warranty. This in effect means you return the goods to Hong Kong at your expense and risk if you can even contact them to arrange.

Basically buying any grey import is a punt that you will never have any problems.
Thanks NN I'm a John Lewis man for all manor of good reasons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thank you, your review states something I've not seen in other reviews. Grabbing 8mp pictures from a video looks interesting........ Quote: If you’re not taken by the video potential of the FZ1000, then consider this – when shooting 4K video on it’s possible to grab 8MP 3840 x 2160 still images from slow motion review, presenting a new way to capture individual frames.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I doubt it. Have you ever seen an optical 400mm lens? I have two and they are both over 2 feet long at 400mm. Even when fully retracted they are a foot long. Where is all that glass going in such a small camera?
It is what you call progress;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Canon DSLR with various lenses , ext tubes etc but now rarely use it.
I also have a Panasonic LUMIX TZ60 which just hangs on my belt so really convenient wherever I am. With a 30X optical zoom, 18mp sensor, viewfinder and manual functions a really useful carry anywhere small camera.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a Canon Powershot G16 compact that has the WiFi functions and like the other posts it is sometimes quite useful. I want the bolt for my EOS 5D3 to give it the same functions but that's £600 :Eeek: and I'm not sure how often I would use it.
I know we are going off topic here, but have you looked at a wifi sd card? EyeFi are the most prolific ( but not the best!), but I have just bought a Toshiba 16gb FlashAir card. Its a class 10 so will be fast enough for any camera.
When the camera is on, it transmits the wifi signal. I connect my laptop to the wifi network and everytime I take a picture ( as in tethering) or the camera is within range of the wifi network, it downloads automatically.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know we are going off topic here, but have you looked at a wifi sd card? EyeFi are the most prolific ( but not the best!), but I have just bought a Toshiba 16gb FlashAir card. Its a class 10 so will be fast enough for any camera.
When the camera is on, it transmits the wifi signal. I connect my laptop to the wifi network and everytime I take a picture ( as in tethering) or the camera is within range of the wifi network, it downloads automatically.

I hadn't until Jim beat you to it a couple of hours ago. Now seriously looking at it. It's an inexpensive work around. (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Just ordered a 32gB FlashAir from Amazon for £25.97 which is half the price of an EyeFi one so worth a go at that price. Thanks for the tip (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just ordered a 32gB FlashAir from Amazon for £25.97 which is half the price of an EyeFi one so worth a go at that price. Thanks for the tip (y)

Better than £600 (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It is for the amount of times it will probably be used (y)

I havn't got one on my diii. I have the camera store on both cards, and only ever swap the SD, leaving the CF in place the SD fits right into my Macs and has go to be 50x faster than WiFi.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I havn't got one on my diii. I have the camera store on both cards, and only ever swap the SD, leaving the CF in place the SD fits right into my Macs and has go to be 50x faster than WiFi.

That's what I do at the moment. Probably one of the only times I use it will be at Rugby - pictures of tries and things posted to twitter/facebook live during the game instead of on Sunday morning when I'm sober and uploading to the website. Not a very practical use but people will like it.

Reactions: Jim

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agree Jim - below 1/10sec ISO 3200 with my Fuji bridge at Southport. peppered with noise at 100%:eek:but okay up to A4 prints.
View attachment 46632
Marvelous picture, great subject, talented guy, ho, ho, and deluded too! But you might have photoshopped the jowls for me, oh and darkened the hair a bit,oh and perhaps flattened the stomach.:D Got any more Vin? put them on the Southport 2014 thread.

Simon

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Now this is worse that textspeak!!:) Wish I new what you were talking about, diii, CF etc. I will post a very sensible question in a minute.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I loved my trusty old Pentax ME Super, saved at least 3 wedding days with it when the official photographer failed (early digital days) and got a bit left behind when everything went totally digital. Have had several point and shoot compacts and quite like NOT carrying around a bag full of parafenalia, I have a little Panasonic DMC-FX30, which has a "Scene" mode, which to be fair is quite good, my question to you guys is, I would like a bit more functionality, is it possible to get a small camera with interchangeable lenses that's any good at a reasonable price and what would you recommend, and does anybody have any experience with the camera lense attachment that you can add to a smartphone. Hope I haven't gone off thread!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm sure the Mkiii now supports wifi cards http://support.eye.fi/cameras/canon/eos_5d_mark_iii you can buy those really cheap

32gb FlashAir card arrived this morning and works perfectly, just the job. For less than £30 what a great bit of kit. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the tip guys (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How Fast is it Nik? Thinking about it, if you had the CF to collect RAW while at the same time the SD captured medium/low Res straight to an iPad then it might be quite useful.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't have a lot of time this morning so have only played around with it for 10 minutes.

The way it works is that you connect your phone/ipad to the WiFi network the card generates and open a browser window that basically works like a Finder/Explorer window to browse the card. Everything on the card was sat there waiting for me. I haven't had a chance to take photo with it connected and see how long it takes to appear but I will do and report back.

The only potential issue I can see of having different image type/qualities writing to the individual cards is that according to the camera manual when you do this it will write them both at the speed of the slowest one. I suppose the question is how long it will take to write the RAW data to the CF card. Most of the time this won't matter but if there is a difference it may have some affect on continuous shooting or even single shot where you are trying to shoot quickly i.e. sports or action work. Boy has a rugby match on Sunday so will experiment then.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How Fast is it Nik? Thinking about it, if you had the CF to collect RAW while at the same time the SD captured medium/low Res straight to an iPad then it might be quite useful.

The way it works is that you connect your phone/ipad to the WiFi network the card generates and open a browser window that basically works like a Finder/Explorer window to browse the card. Everything on the card was sat there waiting for me. I haven't had a chance to take photo with it connected and see how long it takes to appear but I will do and report back.

Just sat with it connected to my iPad with the browser open and randomly snapped away. It was averaging about 3 seconds from taking the picture to it appearing on the iPad. I took 5 shots one after the other as rapidly as I could and when I turned back to the iPad they were all there. You save any that you want to transfer in the normal way that you would save an image from your browser.

Need to go out somewhere and try it away from other wifi networks. The iPhone and iPad both seem to know it isn't a normal network and keep wanting to connect back to our home one but that's nothing to do with the card. It wouldn't happen if there were no known networks in range.

It's a Class 10 SD card which is the same as the one I was using before so I think I will just leave it in there all the time whether I need the Wifi or not.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just sat with it connected to my iPad with the browser open and randomly snapped away. It was averaging about 3 seconds from taking the picture to it appearing on the iPad. I took 5 shots one after the other as rapidly as I could and when I turned back to the iPad they were all there. You save any that you want to transfer in the normal way that you would save an image from your browser.

Need to go out somewhere and try it away from other wifi networks. The iPhone and iPad both seem to know it isn't a normal network and keep wanting to connect back to our home one but that's nothing to do with the card. It wouldn't happen if there were no known networks in range.

It's a Class 10 SD card which is the same as the one I was using before so I think I will just leave it in there all the time whether I need the Wifi or not.

You could go into i pad setting and "forget this Network" on your home network to avoid the issue of choice.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You could go into i pad setting and "forget this Network" on your home network to avoid the issue of choice.

I know but then I would have to faff around with the password again. I don't think I would need to use the wifi on the card at home normally, this was just for test purposes. It was an observation rather than a complaint (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a Macbook and wanted to download images straight to it from the camera. I found FlashairSync.
Turn the camera on, connect to the Flashair network and the images download straight to a local folder ( You create the folder and put it where you want) on my Macbook. Its just another way to use the card, but you can't select which ones to keep till they are in your folder. I import what I want into LR then.
Link here...http://medium.safari.am
Allan

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a Macbook and wanted to download images straight to it from the camera. I found FlashairSync.
Turn the camera on, connect to the Flashair network and the images download straight to a local folder ( You create the folder and put it where you want) on my Macbook. Its just another way to use the card, but you can't select which ones to keep till they are in your folder. I import what I want into LR then.
Link here...http://medium.safari.am
Allan

I like that too! A bit slower than via the card reader but still useful if you don't have too many to sync.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like that too! A bit slower than via the card reader but still useful if you don't have too many to sync.
That's been my experience. The WiFi was great for selecting two or three images and then uploading them onto this forum via the tablet at the end of each day, very convenient but when we got back home I used a card reader and cable to copy all the images over to my pc.

I could have used the WiFi of course but at home a card reader was more convenient. I haven't timed the WiFi but a 5Mb image took around 5 seconds to transfer I think, ie about 1 Mb per second, more or less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I haven't timed the WiFi but a 5Mb image took around 5 seconds to transfer I think, ie about 1 Mb per second, more or less

I'd go along with that on the transfer to my laptop using the app Allanm suggested but it's much quicker than that transferring to my phone or iPad. The images I was using to test are all between 6 - 8MB and were averaging about 3 seconds from releasing the shutter to appearing on the iPad screen. When connecting the card to my iPad just to browse the existing contents, not looking for live transfer, there seems to be no lag at all - as far as I can tell it's pretty much instant.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
is it possible to get a [you]small [/you]camera with interchangeable lenses that's any good at a reasonable price and what would you recommend,

I recently bought an Olympus E-PL5 with two zoom lenses. It's actually almost too small, certainly smaller than my Nikon P7800 compact.

DPReview here .... http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-PEN-E-PL5-E-PM2/

It has the same sensor that they fit to the top SLR (forgot model number), and what I like about the most is that I bought an adaptor to enable me to fit my Contax G series prime Zeiss optics - a fantastic combination, that fits into the smallest of camera bags. Three cameras, four lenses, all in a bag smaller than the missus' handbag.

20140731_045749.jpg
20140731_045855.jpg

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Nikon D7000 with 18-110 lens on the way from Tesco Direct for FREEEE!!!!
Got it on clubcard boost with vouchers!

Its going to replace my trusty Nikon F70. Getting 35mm developed is getting pricy!

Looking forward to cheaper photography in the future!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back