More help with Digital cameras please (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Like shifty I have been taking a cursory glance at digital SLR cameras. Not in the same league as himself but in JL today I had a play with this Panasonic Lumix camera with a 24-400mm lens. It is quite hefty but performs well in the reviews I've read. It also has 4k video.
Anyone have any knowledge on this camera or any suggestions of similar price range. JL price was I think £749.99.
http://photorumors.com/2014/06/11/p...uperzoom-camera-to-be-announced-in-few-hours/

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Like shifty I have been taking a cursory glance at digital SLR cameras. Not in the same league as himself but in JL today I had a play with this Panasonic Lumix camera with a 24-400mm lens. It is quite hefty but performs well in the reviews I've read. It also has 4k video.
Anyone have any knowledge on this camera or any suggestions of similar price range. JL price was I think £749.99.
http://photorumors.com/2014/06/11/p...uperzoom-camera-to-be-announced-in-few-hours/
No takers yesterday, thought I would try again.:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I don't think thats a DSLR, it looks more like a "bridge" model to me. That's OK as long as the lens will do everything you will ever need it to do, which looking at that one it should. The 24-400 range sounds great but it does say it's equivalent which means most of it will be digital. It depends what you want to do with it but personally I would prefer to stick with optical zoom, as I find it delivers better results at the longer end. JL price is the same as Wex so it's about right. If it was me I would look at a DSLR with shortish telephoto lens for similar money.

The reviews Broken Link Removed although not bad do identify a few issues.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not only cutting he is also attempting to manage without his glasses. Shifty I accept the incorrect topic but perhaps you could explain what the please is all about.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've got a much lower spec Panasonic Lumix bridge camera which I keep as a spare. It does a good job, which it should do with a Leica lens on it, so the Lumix range enjoys a good reputation. However, I much prefer to use my Canon DSLR because I can change the lenses if I want to. The model you're considering offers 25-400mm equivalence which would cover most photography needs, but the lens is a permanent fixture.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't think thats a DSLR, it looks more like a "bridge" model to me. That's OK as long as the lens will do everything you will ever need it to do, which looking at that one it should. The 24-400 range sounds great but it does say it's equivalent which means most of it will be digital. It depends what you want to do with it but personally I would prefer to stick with optical zoom, as I find it delivers better results at the longer end. JL price is the same as Wex so it's about right. If it was me I would look at a DSLR with shortish telephoto lens for similar money.

The reviews Broken Link Removed although not bad do identify a few issues.
Thanks Nick, as you can see I didn't do much prep before I posted.I have not had an slr for a number of years so a bit rusty. Not sure what a bridge model is. Are you saying that this cam has a fixed lens. One of the things I liked when trying it was the viewfinder was extremely clear and bright and it appeared very fast in operation. I didn't think about what equivalent meant but now I know. Thanks....I will keep looking.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've got a much lower spec Panasonic Lumix bridge camera which I keep as a spare. It does a good job, which it should do with a Leica lens on it, so the Lumix range enjoys a good reputation. However, I much prefer to use my Canon DSLR because I can change the lenses if I want to. The model you're considering offers 25-400mm equivalence which would cover most photography needs, but the lens is a permanent fixture.
Thanks msb. I still have a number of lens left over from my slr days. I always thought then that I would like a good zoom but never got around to getting one. From the reviews I've read this camera works well, I think one negative would be the weight and size of this zoom but being a bit digital it is nothing like the size of my old optical 400 mm lens.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not sure what a bridge model is. Are you saying that this cam has a fixed lens.

Yes, a bridge camera is usually the size and shape of an SLR but has a fixed, non-removable lens. They have their uses but not as a replacement for a DSLR.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just a question please as a happy snapper who would like to learn a little more
What will £300 get me as a starter to build on new or used
Suggestions please

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What's all that about? Stop the sniping please, its not nice.

I saw the word "Please" buttons :) I'll move the thread for you.
Thank you Jim, I'll pay more attention to the topic in future and maybe send shifty a pair of 3.5s ;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Buttons, not sure if you have read it, but DP review has a review of the camera HERE
Seems like an excellent choice for a superzoom camera and its video capabilities are impressive too ( 4K video)
Go for it, I don't think you will get anything better with such a long zoom at the price.
Its just under £680 at SLRHut, BROKEN LINK
Allan

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
the zoom on this camera will be a true optical 16x zoom from 25 through to 400mm which is the equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera. There will be digital zoom option that will extend the zoom even further. Its a heck of a price tag for a bridge camera but there again to buy a dslr and the lens or lenses covering the same zoom ratio would cost you several times more. The downside to bridge cameras with small sensors packed with massive megapixel numbers is the noise generated between the pixels when taking photos in low light.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Superzoom for me normally means great pictures, in bright light only. I do own a couple of zooms but I prefer to keep a fast 35mm 1.4 prime (non zoom) on my camera. You do a bit more walking without a zoom but the quality with a fast prime, even in the poorest light is superb. (y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Agree Jim - below 1/10sec ISO 3200 with my Fuji bridge at Southport. peppered with noise at 100%:eek:but okay up to A4 prints.
DSCF3416.JPG

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are looking for a DSLR too. Tesco have them on clubcard boost at the moment.
£1 voucher = £2 against a camera.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Allan

Never, ever, not for any reason ever buy anything from SLRHut. Don't care how cheap they are. They are the worst of the grey import sites. They have no physical UK presence so you aren't protected by Trading Standards or the Distance Selling Regs.. The goods will ship from Hong Kong. User manuals will not be in English. You will have no manufactuers warranty and no support at all from the UK division of the manufacturer. They claim on their site that they provide warranty. This in effect means you return the goods to Hong Kong at your expense and risk if you can even contact them to arrange.

Basically buying any grey import is a punt that you will never have any problems.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the zoom on this camera will be a true optical 16x zoom from 25 through to 400mm which is the equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera.

I doubt it. Have you ever seen an optical 400mm lens? I have two and they are both over 2 feet long at 400mm. Even when fully retracted they are a foot long. Where is all that glass going in such a small camera?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have been using an Olympus OMD M10 for the past few months and have been very impressed by its WiFi feature that allows me to easily transfer pictures from the camera to my android tablet. I then use an app called photoresizer to make a smaller copy of the transferred image which uploads onto this site very quickly. This was how all the images in my account of our recent trip to Spain were made. Such as the ones on this page:
Broken Link Removed

I raise this because it wasn't something I looked for when choosing the camera but have subsequently found it invaluable and would recommend anyone looking for a camera to check if it has WiFi. I can also control the camera with a smartphone using the WiFi but that's not something I've used much other than playing with it.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I still have a number of lens left over from my slr days. I always thought then that I would like a good zoom but never got around to getting one.

You might consider getting a DSLR body and an £8-10 adapter which would allow you to use your old SLR lenses. Whilst you may not get full auto-focus function, the better adapters will 'tell' the camera what the aperture setting is so the exposure is correct. My most consistent seller on eBay is old SLR lenses, most of which are going to DSLR users.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, not sure if you have read it, but DP review has a review of the camera HERE
Seems like an excellent choice for a superzoom camera and its video capabilities are impressive too ( 4K video)
Go for it, I don't think you will get anything better with such a long zoom at the price.
Allan
Thanks aqllanm that was a bit of a marathon reading through the forum reviews but most were very positive.(y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Funny you should mention wifi on a camera. My Lumix has recently had a foreign object appear in the lens, going to see about getting it cleaned. When I was considering how much this might cost against getting a new toy, wifi was the one extra feature I would like to have had on the Lumix (oh dear past tense already) because I often use my phone camera as I know I want to send the image off to family and friends and wifi makes it so simple. I will check that out. Of course after I see who can look at the Lumix ;-) Now Google. ..... Janie

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a Canon Powershot G16 compact that has the WiFi functions and like the other posts it is sometimes quite useful. I want the bolt for my EOS 5D3 to give it the same functions but that's £600 :Eeek: and I'm not sure how often I would use it.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
the zoom on this camera will be a true optical 16x zoom from 25 through to 400mm which is the equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera. There will be digital zoom option that will extend the zoom even further. Its a heck of a price tag for a bridge camera but there again to buy a dslr and the lens or lenses covering the same zoom ratio would cost you several times more. The downside to bridge cameras with small sensors packed with massive megapixel numbers is the noise generated between the pixels when taking photos in low light.
Thanks vin, I understand what you are saying but are you speaking generally about small sensors and noise etc or is this a view from the details of this camera. The only camera I have at the moment is my phone so I am no expert.:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You might consider getting a DSLR body and an £8-10 adapter which would allow you to use your old SLR lenses. Whilst you may not get full auto-focus function, the better adapters will 'tell' the camera what the aperture setting is so the exposure is correct. My most consistent seller on eBay is old SLR lenses, most of which are going to DSLR users.
Thanks msb, not for me now, my kids are grown up and I have enough hobbies on the go so just want something that will do most things in one package. I could even leave the video camera at home.(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Funny you should mention wifi on a camera. My Lumix has recently had a foreign object appear in the lens, going to see about getting it cleaned. When I was considering how much this might cost against getting a new toy, wifi was the one extra feature I would like to have had on the Lumix (oh dear past tense already) because I often use my phone camera as I know I want to send the image off to family and friends and wifi makes it so simple. I will check that out. Of course after I see who can look at the Lumix ;-) Now Google. ..... Janie
Thanks bob, I hadn't thought about the wifi feature, that sounds like a good thing to have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back