Luton beds?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wizzer59, Aug 26, 2012.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Just out of morbid interest, do ANY adults use their luton bed for sleeping in:RollEyes::thumb:

2. tofo

tofo Funster

Yep me
    misses down
    me in the Luton
    It's like a beached whale in a poaching cup:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Gel sleeps and kicks in the back, I sleep in "the cave" (luton):Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we certainly dont

many years ago our daughter (about 6 at the time) used to sleep up in the overcab... only problem was she liked to rock herself to sleep. many evenings we were sat outside talking to friends whilst the van swayed back and forth, as if we were busy ding the old horizontal hokey kokey. It got many laughs and the occasional cheer :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Must admit I've not tried it, but our Autosleeper has the thinnist hardest mattress and the heaviest ladder with little thin rungs that dig into your bare feet, I can only imagine the torture it would be getting in, out and sleeping up there:Doh:

6. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

No we don't, it's a shed, it's not for sleeping in:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We used our old Elddis overcab bed all the time. The dinette bed was too short for me! The overcab was also cramped and claustrophobic, although it looked nicely styled on the outside!

We have also used the overcab on our current MH. It's comfy, heated, spacious (king-size sheet and duvet required) and you can sit up and read. The ladder has wide steps and is at a sensible angle. There is a fold-up board to stop you falling out at night. There is good lighting and storage for glasses, books, pyjamas, etc.!:Smile:

Maybe it's just the 'aerodynamically' designed overcabs found on many Brit vans that are not fit for purpose? Our overcab looks huge and ungainly from the outside, but boy does it work!:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I'll add to my last post.........

Is the fact some overcabs are only kiddy-sized a reflection of the perceived marked for these motorhomes? After all, in the UK, the perceived majority of motorhome owners are mature and only have kids to accommodate at school holiday time. Plus we Brits have become materialistic about such things; a sporty look to the outside of our MH is just the thing to make us look good on the CC site or keep us ahead of the Jones's next door!

The market for family MHs on the continent is made up of younger families. They simply need a MH design that WORKS for a family. Hence the the boxy, ungainly exterior designs, but bigger interior overcab space.

Any thoughts anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well if it's just my wife and me travelling then certainly on particularly hot nights we'll sleep apart with me in the overcab and Jackie in the rear double.

The overcab is enormous. Agree it is a shed at other times and very useful too. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I am not sure that the European vans look "boxy" I saw some very nice looking vans on our last trip to Europe, although I must admit there did appear to be a younger set of owners. Although we did notice that a lot of families with teenagers also put a small tent up for them to sleep. I was speaking to a Dutch MH'er with teenagers and he was saying his kids preferred a tent rather than the overcab, plus it gave them (the adults) some privacy! (don't know what he wanted privacy for!!!!) We only use the overcab for grand kids or the occasional inter loping sister in law. Apart from that it is a great storage area for some of the bulky items like sun loungers and extra chairs etc... We are considering changing our van soon and the discussion is "do we need the overcab, what are the pros and cons"

It is another one of those things that come down to personal preferences. Some want it some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Read Only Funster

We've only had our van a few weeks but we sleep in the over cab every time, not sure why it just feels great lol.

If we fancy a change sometime we can move "downstairs" :)

Happy camping

Andy

• Like Like x 2
  12. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Me and SWMBO use the overcab bed all the time.

Very comfy it is too. We added a 2" mattress topper and now it is even more comfy than our bed at home......:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

We don't have one. A good job really as I have enough problems getting the wife out of the top bunk on the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry! Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

overcab beds

We've recently changed our lovely Peugeot Nuevo for a Burstner I595 and now have a huge drop down bed and a 3ft transverse fixed single. They are SO comfortable and 79 year old partner shins up his short ladder with no problems. (He's wrapped rubber around the treads for added comfort. I personally couldn't sleep in a normal overcab as I'm a bit claustrophobic and the low ceiling in smaller vans (like ours) would bother me. We've lost a bit of living space with this arrangement but I don't thinkI could go back to even the small amount of nightly easy bedmaking we had before. I've also been surprised at the extra headroom you get in the cab with a drop down bed - haven't bumped my head once with this van!

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Luton,beds

Yeh, Just north of Harpenden,herts::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Strange question, what do you expect us to do, play golf in it ?

Of course we sleep in it, that's what bed are for.

I guess this relative of the question "do you defecate in your toilet ?"

• Like Like x 1
  17. hilldweller

Ah, wrong motorhome error, get a Burstner and you get a 5* huge comfy bed. Can't sit up and read but otherwise an excellent bed. And a nice wooden ladder with wide smooth rungs.

Vorsprung durch technik.

18. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

ladder with flat rungs

Hi Brian

We've got a Burstner but without the flat runged ladder (had to wrap rubber around ours for comfort). Any idea where we could get one like yours? Looked on computer and found one but it was very expensive for a short ladder.

19. hilldweller

Sorry no. Though it's a very simple piece of woodwork, find some nice beech and get sawing.

Or you could find some nice timber and make the rungs to fit over the metal ones and screw from below.

Or for that matter, some metal and make rungs welded to originals.

20. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

The overcab in our Hobby is really comfy, my sister in law uses all the time, she has lights, windows, storeage and she loves it, we are not into making up beds every night, we ourselves have 2 singles at the back plus room to sleep 6 dogs in the garage in comfort !!:thumb:

Dave

• Like Like x 1