Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we certainly dont

many years ago our daughter (about 6 at the time) used to sleep up in the overcab... only problem was she liked to rock herself to sleep. many evenings we were sat outside talking to friends whilst the van swayed back and forth, as if we were busy ding the old horizontal hokey kokey. It got many laughs and the occasional cheer :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Must admit I've not tried it, but our Autosleeper has the thinnist hardest mattress and the heaviest ladder with little thin rungs that dig into your bare feet, I can only imagine the torture it would be getting in, out and sleeping up there:Doh:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
No we don't, it's a shed, it's not for sleeping in:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We used our old Elddis overcab bed all the time. The dinette bed was too short for me! The overcab was also cramped and claustrophobic, although it looked nicely styled on the outside!

We have also used the overcab on our current MH. It's comfy, heated, spacious (king-size sheet and duvet required) and you can sit up and read. The ladder has wide steps and is at a sensible angle. There is a fold-up board to stop you falling out at night. There is good lighting and storage for glasses, books, pyjamas, etc.!:Smile:

Maybe it's just the 'aerodynamically' designed overcabs found on many Brit vans that are not fit for purpose? Our overcab looks huge and ungainly from the outside, but boy does it work!:thumb:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I'll add to my last post.........

Is the fact some overcabs are only kiddy-sized a reflection of the perceived marked for these motorhomes? After all, in the UK, the perceived majority of motorhome owners are mature and only have kids to accommodate at school holiday time. Plus we Brits have become materialistic about such things; a sporty look to the outside of our MH is just the thing to make us look good on the CC site or keep us ahead of the Jones's next door!

The market for family MHs on the continent is made up of younger families. They simply need a MH design that WORKS for a family. Hence the the boxy, ungainly exterior designs, but bigger interior overcab space.

Any thoughts anyone?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well if it's just my wife and me travelling then certainly on particularly hot nights we'll sleep apart with me in the overcab and Jackie in the rear double.

The overcab is enormous. Agree it is a shed at other times and very useful too. :thumb:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I am not sure that the European vans look "boxy" I saw some very nice looking vans on our last trip to Europe, although I must admit there did appear to be a younger set of owners. Although we did notice that a lot of families with teenagers also put a small tent up for them to sleep. I was speaking to a Dutch MH'er with teenagers and he was saying his kids preferred a tent rather than the overcab, plus it gave them (the adults) some privacy! (don't know what he wanted privacy for!!!!) We only use the overcab for grand kids or the occasional inter loping sister in law. Apart from that it is a great storage area for some of the bulky items like sun loungers and extra chairs etc... We are considering changing our van soon and the discussion is "do we need the overcab, what are the pros and cons"

It is another one of those things that come down to personal preferences. Some want it some don't.

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We've only had our van a few weeks but we sleep in the over cab every time, not sure why it just feels great lol.

If we fancy a change sometime we can move "downstairs" :)

Happy camping

Andy

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Me and SWMBO use the overcab bed all the time.

Very comfy it is too. We added a 2" mattress topper and now it is even more comfy than our bed at home......:thumb:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
overcab beds

We've recently changed our lovely Peugeot Nuevo for a Burstner I595 and now have a huge drop down bed and a 3ft transverse fixed single. They are SO comfortable and 79 year old partner shins up his short ladder with no problems. (He's wrapped rubber around the treads for added comfort. I personally couldn't sleep in a normal overcab as I'm a bit claustrophobic and the low ceiling in smaller vans (like ours) would bother me. We've lost a bit of living space with this arrangement but I don't thinkI could go back to even the small amount of nightly easy bedmaking we had before. I've also been surprised at the extra headroom you get in the cab with a drop down bed - haven't bumped my head once with this van!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just out of morbid interest, do ANY adults use their luton bed for sleeping in:RollEyes::thumb:

Strange question, what do you expect us to do, play golf in it ?

Of course we sleep in it, that's what bed are for.

I guess this relative of the question "do you defecate in your toilet ?"

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Must admit I've not tried it, but our Autosleeper has the thinnist hardest mattress and the heaviest ladder with little thin rungs that dig into your bare feet, I can only imagine the torture it would be getting in, out and sleeping up there:Doh:

Ah, wrong motorhome error, get a Burstner and you get a 5* huge comfy bed. Can't sit up and read but otherwise an excellent bed. And a nice wooden ladder with wide smooth rungs.

Vorsprung durch technik.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
ladder with flat rungs

Hi Brian

We've got a Burstner but without the flat runged ladder (had to wrap rubber around ours for comfort). Any idea where we could get one like yours? Looked on computer and found one but it was very expensive for a short ladder.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian

We've got a Burstner but without the flat runged ladder (had to wrap rubber around ours for comfort). Any idea where we could get one like yours? Looked on computer and found one but it was very expensive for a short ladder.

Sorry no. Though it's a very simple piece of woodwork, find some nice beech and get sawing.

Or you could find some nice timber and make the rungs to fit over the metal ones and screw from below.

Or for that matter, some metal and make rungs welded to originals.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The overcab in our Hobby is really comfy, my sister in law uses all the time, she has lights, windows, storeage and she loves it, we are not into making up beds every night, we ourselves have 2 singles at the back plus room to sleep 6 dogs in the garage in comfort !!:thumb:

Dave

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
garage for 6 dogs

Where do you keep your bikes?????????

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Have a McLouis Glen with a huge 'luton' bed. Very comfy. Was the biggest bed in any van at the dealers on the day I had a debit card burning a hole in my pocket.
Why buy a van with a overcab bed that's too small to use unless you intended it for storage all along?!
MM

milesofsmiles

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 08/12
Yep...On our first trip last week 'im indoors went up top....it did cause a few giggles with the G.Kids though when he was struggling up the ladder and peeping through the curtains...:ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The overcab in our Hobby is really comfy, my sister in law uses all the time, she has lights, windows, storeage and she loves it, we are not into making up beds every night, we ourselves have 2 singles at the back [HI]plus room to sleep 6 dogs in the garage in comfort[/HI] !!:thumb:

Dave

[HI]Where do you keep your bikes[/HI]?????????

Why would the dogs want bikes.....?:RollEyes:

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
I would never buy a M/H without an overcab bed, good storage when needed for any larger items, easy to chuck bedding up there, use it myself when feeling fit enough to get up the ladder, emergency bed for grandkids if they ever get invited! And a good 'sick berth' out the way if anyone ever feels ill rather than make the place look untidy in the day by being buried under blankets and pillows on the seats. Looking at the difference in height on some models that offer low profile there is hardly anything in it so don't see the benefits of not having one myself.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

:thumb:not at our age,but its great for our grandkids.and our foster child.not at the same time through. they all seem to like it. they can have it,with my blessing.:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looking at the difference in height on some models that offer low profile there is hardly anything in it so don't see the benefits of not having one myself.

The killer in terms of wind drag is the overhang, all the air gets trapped below the bed area has to be forced out sideways by the engine, pretty expensive.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
yes use ours for sleeping in the boss downstairs and me up so get a good nights kip as converted bed too short for me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back