Lorry Drivers HGV Licence HoldersBeware (2 Viewers)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Cmon, surely you dont think i would be staring at other drivers while overtaking - you can clearly see vehicles in the distance swaying all over the lanes and veering onto the hard shoulder, Mrs T looks and has a good ol stare as we pass "Yep on the phone" Yep reading a map" yep drinking a cuppa" we passed one and it looked like no one was driving - he got up from maybe picking something up off the floor Oh Please! ! ! !
Or maybe it was a left hooker.....:Eeek:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Very true but PROFESSIONAL drivers in charge of huge vehicles must have higher standards of care and attention. Sadly many clearly don't.

You will also find that many are agency drivers who's licence still has wet ink. The lads being made redundant from the army are taught how to pass the test and the poor buggers then have to learn how to drive a HGV. Because I'm an old fart I can rope and sheet a loaded flatbed complete with a full length flysheet, chain steel with dogs (look it up), timber with straps, tippers, Ro-Ro's. Many out there can't including a lot of the famously popular Eddies lads.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
My dad taught me to rope and sheet wen I was 7.I was doing dolly and double dollys. The first truck I ever drove was an aec mandator.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages

Not sure if you should be to concerned about large trucks ,when you can do this amount of damage with a motorhome size vehicle
Hgv drivers do have a lot of training and sit a lot tougher driving test than say a pre 97 licence car driver let loose in a 4 or 5 ton motorhome with little or no training
As said before it,s all down to concentration and distractions and vehicles of all sizes have accidents....

I,ll just dust off my flack jacket
Atb lau

(hope the link works)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can we agree on this?

Most drivers / riders (cycle, motorbike, trike, car, van, motorhome, all types of HGV) are good, law abiding citizens who obey the rules and the law and drive to the conditions of the road.

However there is a very small number of mavericks who do not give a monkey's and it is these few that should not be on the road.

Sure we are all human (or at least I think we are) and all make mistakes from time to time.

I'm going for a nice mug of cocoa, will finish watching "Amazing Spaces" and then have an early night.
No problem with agreeing with that. The problem comes when trying to justify "Using a mobile phone or other handheld device while driving is a serious road safety risk and a criminal offence." by one set of mavericks (who coincidentally have the capacity to cause much more harm by virtue of the size of vehicles they drive) over other drivers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My dad taught me to rope and sheet wen I was 7.I was doing dolly and double dollys. The first truck I ever drove was an aec mandator.
My Dad was a cabinet maker and joiner. He taught me how to make a hole in the wall using a Rawlplug tool and a big hammer when I was a young boy. I have since learned that it is easier and safer to use an electric drill. I do not, however, consider it safe to use either tool when simultaneously using a mobile phone.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Cmon, surely you dont think i would be staring at other drivers while overtaking - you can clearly see vehicles in the distance swaying all over the lanes and veering onto the hard shoulder, Mrs T looks and has a good ol stare as we pass "Yep on the phone" Yep reading a map" yep drinking a cuppa" we passed one and it looked like no one was driving - he got up from maybe picking something up off the floor Oh Please! ! ! !
As posted often before, Jill drives the van whilst I navigate. I've often found it frustrating when we've passed a truck displaying such swaying that I haven't had a camera in my hand. I must remember to have the camera ready starting tomorrow.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think the driving tests need to be revised, they should now teach people how to steer with their Knees whilst rolling a fag or pouring a hot coffee. How to control a floppy sandwich to stop the tomato falling on your lap and searching for a cd in the glovebox, how not to pull back into lane 1 once you have overtaken. Only once you have mastered the above should your licence be granted.:):unsure::ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I agree. With out truckers this country would sink.

Total rubbish, you can say that about every profession. Doctors, Nurses etc, even banking, you try and run any business without the financial system, it would grind to a halt..So forget the 'truckers rule' argument is simply does not hold any credence, besides in your world.

The phone whilst driving is simple enough... Its against the law, enforcement/education whatever may be part of the answer, when the 'pain' threshold gets too much then they will stop using them. You could have a three strikes and bye bye license, you could force the truck owners to install a jammer if the vehicle is moving.

Talking to a passenger is LEGAL, taking on the phone is NOT.

The damage that a 44t truck can do compared to a smart car is easy enough to work out, its called risk assessment and the insurance companies do that daily.

I wonder how many truckers smoke in their cab?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My dad had his own haulage business in the 1960's and 70's he was hiring over 30/40 trucks a day. He always wanted me NOT to follow in his footsteps, wise move. I was able to retire at 50 not like him, under trucks in all weather fixing them, servicing them. No, not for me..

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
the actual speed limit for trucks on certain roads may still be 60MPH but all trucks are now limited to a maximum of 90 kmh (56 MPH) by law. various companies (not just supermarkets) choose to limit their trucks to a lower speed in the interests of fuel economy and, belive me, when your vehicle is doing 8 or 9 to the gallon, fuel economy is very important!

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
My dad had his own haulage business in the 1960's and 70's he was hiring over 30/40 trucks a day. He always wanted me NOT to follow in his footsteps, wise move. I was able to retire at 50 not like him, under trucks in all weather fixing them, servicing them. No, not for me..
It's a passion of love Davie boy wat can I say. As for retiring . Do u ever retire do u really. Na u just work in the circle of life. Giz a hug. :lips:.....:rofl:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have one of these on order,

protective%20suit.jpg

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Fraid not pink , having said that it takes real men to wear pink.. And I have on a number of occasions. The suit should give me enough protection to get past Birmingham...

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fraid not pink , having said that it takes real men to wear pink.. And I have on a number of occasions. The suit should give me enough protection to get past Birmingham...
Well if your ever up this way pop in. Have a cup of coffee.....

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The initial post would have been far better headed "Any driving licence holder". It's all to easy to direct blame for bad driving habits on HGV drivers alone. Many HGV drivers do in excess of 1200 miles a week on every type of road and are true professionals. There's far more bad car and van drivers out there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back