Lorry Drivers HGV Licence HoldersBeware (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
40 mph on single carriageway roads for LGV is the law. If like myself they have a trakker they will stick to it because ours are regularly pulled up and checked. I drive a Renault Trafic now and my limits are 50 single 60 dual 70 m/way and within reason I stick to them.
You can always tell the ones with trackers fitted - they are the only ones sticking to 40 on the single carriageway............

..........which says something about the law as it stands, and the enforcement of the same.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You can always tell the ones with trackers fitted - they are the only ones sticking to 40 on the single carriageway............

..........which says something about the law as it stands, and the enforcement of the same.

Scammera vans will prosecute for going over weight speed limits eg 40 in a NSL road and 50 for me, speed cameras can't tell but my gaffer can. :mad: Plus having a mile long queue puts a) pressure on you to speed or b) stuff you I'm going as fast as the EU will let me. :LOL:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I thought HGV's were limited to 56 actual 60 indicated? I believed that 50 limits are imposed by supermarkets on their vehicles as their choice not law

The law says, for a HGV-

60 on a motorway
50 on a dual carriageway
40 on single carriageways

HGVs are fitted with a 90kph (56mph) limiter by EU law.

They don't do it to upset people, its the law. I can't see why people get upset!
Those who do are ignorant of the law, obviously!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I was talking about motorways. Allowed speed and owner imposed speed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Scammera vans will prosecute for going over weight speed limits eg 40 in a NSL road and 50 for me, speed cameras can't tell but my gaffer can. :mad: Plus having a mile long queue puts a) pressure on you to speed or b) stuff you I'm going as fast as the EU will let me. :LOL:
Not just HGV's a colleague was done for doing 65 on the A14 when he thought he could do 70...... Nope - it was recorded against the documentation for the vehicle and as a PHGV with over 3050kg unladen he was committing an offence and got 3 points for it. I think there was a similar case written about in MMM some months back as well. We are very careful not to exceed the speed limits of 50/60/70 in our van and not too worried if in doing so we are slowing down the traffic behind us a little

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On frequent travels to Derbyshire I would much rather see a HGV doing 40 down Woodhead than see an HGV hammering down at more than 40 and far too close to the vehicle in front, which happens all too often.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Haha, Beeching buggered that up didn't he. Cycle tracks now, put some on a bike :LOL:
No, not Beeching, Wilson's government which implemented the report without proper thought. Beeching did the job he was told to, designed a rail network based on a reduced budget. If he had been told to design a rail network based on current and projected service requirements it would have been rather different :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not just HGV's a colleague was done for doing 65 on the A14 when he thought he could do 70...... Nope - it was recorded against the documentation for the vehicle and as a PHGV with over 3050kg unladen he was committing an offence and got 3 points for it. I think there was a similar case written about in MMM some months back as well. We are very careful not to exceed the speed limits of 50/60/70 in our van and not too worried if in doing so we are slowing down the traffic behind us a little

Correct, if you notice I said 40 for HGV and 50 for me. My van has no car based example unlike for example an Astra van or Fiesta van so I and all the other vans and motorhomes are 50/60/70 because the base van hasn't got a car derivative.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

And not just PHGVs.

A commercial van with a gross weight over 2000kg is also subject to 50/60/70. That includes Transit connects, Peugeot Experts and the like as well as Transits and Sprinters!
There is reference to car derived vans, but the main reason these are excluded is because they are below 2000kg gross anyway.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Correct, if you notice I said 40 for HGV and 50 for me. My van has no car based example unlike for example an Astra van or Fiesta van so I and all the other vans and motorhomes are 50/60/70 because the base van hasn't got a car derivative.
Yes, that was the MMM case, if I recall as well

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Apart from the fact I think lorries are a nuisance or our roads and they should all be made to travel at night.My neighbour lost his arm in a bike accident many years ago and drives thousands of miles a year as a rep, incident free ,ONE HANDED!
Uses a hands free Phone and has passed an advanced driving test.
So the one hand off the wheel safety issue is bollox.

Vlad

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
No, not Beeching, Wilson's government which implemented the report without proper thought. Beeching did the job he was told to, designed a rail network based on a reduced budget. If he had been told to design a rail network based on current and projected service requirements it would have been rather different :)

Given the information Beeching had at that time coupled with his master's remit he couldn't really have made any other choices. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: GJH

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Given the information Beeching had at that time coupled with his master's remit he couldn't really have made any other choices. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree. Wilsons man but Beeching will always be the fall guy. Canals went the same way, funny really because railway companies bought them up and closed them and road transport helped kill rail freight and now we would like them both carrying freight to ease the congestion on the roads. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So tell me the difference talking to some one in the car or on mobile fone.
A passenger in the car can see if the driver is at a junction or in heavy traffic and shut up. Someone on the other end of the phone doesn't know the person is driving or what the driving conditions are.... and could even be winding up or abusing the driver.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just had two accidents at the bad corner on our road. In both cases the drivers were on the phone.

In the first case the driver went through the bus shelter - the school bus is the only vehicle that calls there and 5 minutes later and the shelter would have been full. In the second case the driver went into the grit box.

The drivers had obviously misjudged the bend and were going too fast. How much the phone use was to blame I can't say.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just had two accidents at the bad corner on our road. In both cases the drivers were on the phone.

In the first case the driver went through the bus shelter - the school bus is the only vehicle that calls there and 5 minutes later and the shelter would have been full. In the second case the driver went into the grit box.

The drivers had obviously misjudged the bend and were going too fast. How much the phone use was to blame I can't say.
The fones not driving. The drivers to blame

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's my point it's the drivers fault as he was on the fone and not paying attention.
That's rather different from what you appeared to be saying in the post on the first page:
But wat is the different from on the fone or chatting to your mate next to u. Or a police officer on his her radio wen after somebody....
though the fact that it is in gobbledegook rather than English does make it difficult to interpret accurately.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
That's rather different from what you appeared to be saying in the post on the first page:

though the fact that it is in gobbledegook rather than English does make it difficult to interpret accurately.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
It's not being on the fone which is the killer it's the lack of attention whilst driving. So your telling me wen your in the car with somebody u don't talk.....
im not even gonna awswer that statement:(
brian

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I must say when we were on our way back from Scotland a couple of weeks ago the amount of HGV Drivers we passed who was on the mobiles txt was a little unbelievable - its pretty damn scary when you think about it - one of them ploughing into you would be no laughing matter

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I must say when we were on our way back from Scotland a couple of weeks ago the amount of HGV Drivers we passed who was on the mobiles txt was a little unbelievable - its pretty damn scary when you think about it - one of them ploughing into you would be no laughing matter
So wen your driving your looking to see who is on there mobile fones .and how do u know they where texting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back