Long distance trip

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Don Madge, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Anyone feeling adventurous?

A very good friend of mine is planning a long distance trip next year, for part of it he needs to link up with at least two other motorhomes in order to share costs.

1) Experienced travellers preferred.
    2) Well maintained, fully self contained motorhome essential.
    3) They generally prefer to travel independently, however one country requires that foreign vehicles travel together on a pre-planned route with a guide. We need to travel together for this county only.
    4) They expect to be travelling for at least 6 months.

If anyone's interested in more details please email direct: andy(at)bm-services.co.uk

If this trip was being organised a few years we would be first in the queue but unfortunately we are well passed long distance travel these days.

Safe travelling.

Don

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hi Don

I guess they maybe thinking of China, you definately need at least three to share those costs.

If they struggle, they could look at the Silk Route Club, they have an english branch that I am a member off, they had some members go to china last year and I think that there could some be interest for 2014 trip. They tend to have a variety of vehicle but some did it in normal motorhomes.

Pm me if you can find a link to them and if they need any help.

Pat

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/ and look at there yahoo group type forum.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. UKMotorhomes

UKMotorhomes Read Only Funster

Hi Pat,

Spot on - China it is :Smile:

We are Silk Route Network members and have posted details of our proposal on the Group. Unfortunately no other member's plans really fit with ours.

BTW, thanks to Don for posting our request, I don't get on here very often...

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. BgClick

BgClick Funster

Just curios, why would cost more?

5. Pat4Neil

Hi Andy

Thats a shame, are you going to Malvern silk route weekend, we arent as we are going to Willys treffen in Germany.

Are you going to Adventure Overland september weekend.

Bgclick
    In China you have to have a tourist guide with you all the time, which for 3 months which would cost around 8,000 dollars, I might be well off with the price but I know my friends paid a lot.

Also you have to have some sort of driving test when entering china.

Pat

• Like Like x 1
  6. UKMotorhomes

No - we were able to go to last years as the date was moved back a week so it didn't clash with a local festival that we always attend. This year the SRMN weekend is back to the beginning of September so sadly we won't be going.
    Yes :Smile:
    Yes, China is very bureaucratic, you have to have a guide and travel an agreed route. There is also a vehicle inspection, temporary vehicle registration, customs deposit, compulsory vehicle insurance and accident insurance. The good tour companies are well versed in dealing with all this so it is normally relatively painless, but time consuming, at the border. Tour company costs work out around 5500GBP each, for 3 motorhomes for 90 days.

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pat4Neil

Have you looked at petrostroika or seabridge tours for china, mind you far too many people in the group for my liking.

But might suit others who want some of the planning and know how catered for.

(individually as quoted it would be over £5000 each motorhome for 90 days ouch)

See you at Overland Adventure.

Pat

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

last winter we met loads that had just come back . some in a group others individual. one said he didnt have a guide and went where ever he wanted . mind long way to go to get it wrong . amazing how many normal campers in normal m,homes are getting into long travels . the world is definately getting smaller.

9. UKMotorhomes

Yes, I've looked at those big tours - too many motorhomes! I would much prefer the DIY approach and a small group.
    Will do!

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. UKMotorhomes

Hi Alan :Smile:
    It's only those driving their own vehicles into China that must have a guide. Don't know how you could even get into China in a vehicle without a guide, never mind drive around, there are fairly frequent police checks I understand.

Andy

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

sounds like a great adventure. A little too soon for us, but definitely something we would consider.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1