Life Members Animated Avatars (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Can I be the negative one.

I've moaned before, may even have been on F@@TS.

I hate them. The problem being, I'm reading a post or posts and in the corner of my eye are these distractions.

YO HO HO knickers.
I'm sure you aren't the only one. They are a real nuisance. Let's hope they are only for Christmas!

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I'm sure you aren't the only one. They are a real nuisance. Let's hope they are only for Christmas!

Many people have said they don't like them but unfortunately @Jim seems to disregard all those who say that - unless he is working on a system for those of us who don't like them to turn them off. (In which case forget I said that Jim.)

PLEASE Jim.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( oh no. I love them ... I didn't realise they are shortlived. I'd better keep dancing. :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many people have said they don't like them but unfortunately @Jim seems to disregard all those who say that - unless he is working on a system for those of us who don't like them to turn them off. (In which case forget I said that Jim.)

PLEASE Jim.

Dave

If you use the excellent Firefox.....

Link Removed

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Unfortunately the snail avatar I am trying to upload does not just puff smoke from its chimney - the black background is flashing too. So it is very distracting on any post I have responded too.

I will re-think this one.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

PLEASE Jim.

Dave
dave, install adblock on your computer and then you can right click on any offensive image and stop it loading

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've managed to switch them off in Google Chrome using the link I gave earlier for an extension which disables animation. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on Chrome on my Android tablet, it only works on the PC.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've managed to switch them off in Google Chrome using the link I gave earlier for an extension which disables animation. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on Chrome on my Android tablet, it only works on the PC.

You mean you can't see the lovely dance I am doing for you? :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You mean you can't see the lovely dance I am doing for you? :)
I can at the moment - I'm using the tablet. :xsmile:
Perhaps I need to make a set of curtains for it, if I just draw a curtain a little way in from the left it would cover up all the bouncing, flashing avatars. :xrofl:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I can at the moment - I'm using the tablet. :xsmile:
Perhaps I need to make a set of curtains for it, if I just draw a curtain a little way in from the left it would cover up all the bouncing, flashing avatars. :xrofl:

But John .. look at me ... look at meeeeee .. loook ..look .. I'm dancing .. watch me ..watch me .. look .. wheeeeeee .. whey .. look at meeeee .. watch me .. can you see me ... look at meee .. :) :) :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Marty-Feldman-Anim.gif

Almost worth it for this:
Je6yP64.gif

And this.....

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can I suggest that all who have an animated avatar put it into a post in this thread otherwise when they are 'stopped' after Christmas we won't know what the hell everyone was talking about!!! :LOL:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I had a moving Avatar up until Jim changed servers a couple of years ago and many others did as well, Pappajohn lost his bumpy ride, Champers ears stopped flapping and my ketch stopped sailing, @JockandRita have always had there romantic smoke aftersex Avatar, I like them.

I had a Santa peeing 'Happy Christmas' into the snow a few years back.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
they are 'stopped' after Christmas
I missed that. :(

are they right
no more movies after christmas :crying:
Surely not? :(

@JockandRita have always had there romantic smoke aftersex Avatar, I like them.
Not always Griff. We gave up the weed for a good while, but now that we are down to a kiss and a cuddle only, we are back on it again, (getting bored) as although it's still illegal, it's easier to get away with smoking it in public, ie, like on here...............and who's going to stop us before Christmas? :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But John .. look at me ... look at meeeeee .. loook ..look .. I'm dancing .. watch me ..watch me .. look .. wheeeeeee .. whey .. look at meeeee .. watch me .. can you see me ... look at meee .. :) :) :)
Yes, but you are "flashing" as well. It just lacks the raincoat for the full effect...:xgrin:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Re. What happens after Christmas

I haven't been following this in fine detail, but I thought Jim's plan was to restrict animated avatars to life members while he tested them out on the current forum software, then if all was well, he'd roll out the option to everyone. Thus restoring the situation to as it was before he had to change the forum software a couple of years ago.

That meant that non-lifers wouldn't get a chance to have fancy animated Christmas themed avatars, so anyone else who wanted to join the fun early could do so for a donation to charity. :xThumb:

There were plenty of moans when the change of forum software meant we couldn't have animated avatars any more & now there are more moans when we can. All of which goes to prove the old 'You can't please all of the people all of the time' saying. :xgrin:

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence. They are a bit distracting, but some are very clever, witty & definitely bring a smile & a sense of fun to the place. I don't think I'll do one of me beating the bejausus out of a dead goat though. Other bodhran players will understand. :xrofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think I'll do one of me beating the bejausus out of a dead goat though. Other bodhran players will understand. :xrofl:
Is that the one where it's skinned and then inflated and used like a 'rugby' ball in a massive scrum to get it from one 'goal' to the other etc ...

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Is that the one where it's skinned and then inflated and used like a 'rugby' ball in a massive scrum to get it from one 'goal' to the other etc ...
You're thinking of the Haxey Hood, I suspect. I've forgotten what they make that out of, but I don't think it's a goat.
EDIT: A tube of bovine leather these days. In days past, it was reported to be a freshly slaughtered bullock's head!

No, see my avatar. That's a goat skin drum. That particular one isn't mine, but I've a couple made by the same guy. Made in California by a chap from Grimsby!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Can I ask a serious question re right handed ness and left handed ness

Me being left handed I tend to focus to the right hand side
Wherass as I understand it a right handed person to focus to the left of the same picture, replace that picture with a hand held pad or computer
I view that the same

Now I don't find the moving avatars a problem because they aren't close to my focus point
And I'm just wondering if the good folk that the moving avatars annoy are right handed or left handed

Just asking like
Spose I'll get flak but hey ho nothing ventured nothing gained

:dance:

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can I ask a serious question re right handed ness and left handed ness

Me being left handed I tend to focus to the right hand side
Wherass as I understand it a right handed person to focus to the left of the same picture, replace that picture with a hand held pad or computer
I view that the same

Now I don't find the moving avatars a problem because they aren't close to my focus point
And I'm just wondering if the good folk that the moving avatars annoy are right handed or left handed

Just asking like
Spose I'll get flak but hey ho nothing ventured nothing gained

:dance:
Now there's an interesting question!
I can 'focus' them out - moving avatars on the left, and moving adverts on the right - so I'm no help to your research, sorry! (right-handed, left-eyed though).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Right handed ... They don't bother me but I am aware of them .. but am also aware of the tv which is in front of me behind the computer ... sorry if that doesn't help much . :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back