Joy of Joys... Another wheel bearing failed today ! (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Had a wheel bearing on my A Class Hymer fail while on route home from Austria cost me two day stop over and 600 yowzazs, tell tale is usually a horrible noise from the hub area I strongly believe early failure is down to SMS sleepy motorhome syndrome, I’m defo guilty of it not taking Herman out for run during the winter and then expect him to wake up and carry me off round the country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
2nd the opinion on possibly be a binding front calliper. I’ve had to replace both of mine so far. I now have a new spare nearside one in the van with me at all times. Along with a set of pads.
You can guarantee something will happen miles from anywhere ( normally the Scottish west coast with me ) and it’ll take a garage a few days to get spare parts. Not if you already have them it won’t. (y)

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I think I'd better leave this forum or sell the van!
It seems like a meeting place for PSA vehicle owners to discuss the never ending usually expensive list of ways these vehicles can up of failing when left alone for a few days :crying1:
Was happy with mine till I started reading
now just anxious at the thought of having to go out in. it::bigsmile:

Apr 22, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
GR73tLX:fzBDbY!
Exp
Burstner I'm new
Getting the van ready for the summer season, first time it's been out for a couple of months, so decided on a day trip to Felixstowe to check all is working as it should..

En route we stopped at Tesco's for some picnic goodies.. as I locked the the van I could smell burning.. walked around and felt the near side front hub, red hot..

so no trip today.. managed to drive home ..

Returning from France last year I had the rear offside bearing fail ..which turned out a very costly repair !

Rear Wheel Bearing Fail

It may well be prudent to have the other wheel bearings done at the same time.. will see what the garage says ..

Oh well.. it's only money .. but starting to lose faith in the old girl .. it's a black hole for hard earned.
Our MH is a Bürstner Harmony 625t - 2003 Ducato 2.8 JTD 42,000. We put it in for a pre-MOT check and found it has a cracked calliper. We have never done any off road driving. Only having it for a year with very little use, we don't know if previous owner did. Having said that, it passed last MOT.

Oct 13, 2021
Wareham, UK
Funster No
MH
weinsberg 650
Exp
since 2000
hi, any know if there are any grease nipples or grease points on a 2021 ducato. i will probably crawl under if the ground ever dries up

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
It’s the lack of movement that causes the problems, the rollers sit on the same part of the inner and outer race and it causes an indent over time which eventually leads to a failure.

I wouldn’t say it was common but is known in HGV’s with a lift axle that rarely comes down.

My advice would be to change the remaining bearings.

As said it could be a caliper, easy way to check is see which is hotter the disc or the hub, use an infrared thermometer if you’re not sure.

Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Was advised once to put the van up on axle stands when parked up for a few months.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
3,250 miles per year over a period of twenty years! My opinion of vehicles with so low an annual mileage is that they will always be very prone to problems like this. These vehicles were designed for commercial use probably doing in excess of 20,000miles per year. Everyone that I hear of who does very low mileages each year experiences unexpected failures or wear patterns i.e. brake disc /pad wear, chassis / exhaust corrosion etc. etc.

Oh god, I'm doomed!! :eek:

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Maybe get it a nice comfy bed with an electric blanket!
Or treat it to a good thrashing regularly,like white van mas does.
Axle stands may take weight off bearings and tyres but will discourage taking it for a run wich seems to be the preferred way to help avoid problems.
Mine has been sat for 6 months without rolling a wheel beyond a few feet..remains to be seen if it's had plenty of time to come up with a new and interesting way to fail !!!

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Maybe get it a nice comfy bed with an electric blanket!
Or treat it to a good thrashing regularly,like white van mas does.
Axle stands may take weight off bearings and tyres but will discourage taking it for a run wich seems to be the preferred way to help avoid problems.
Mine has been sat for 6 months without rolling a wheel beyond a few feet..remains to be seen if it's had plenty of time to come up with a new and interesting way to fail !!!

Ours sits for months on end with no one even looking at it. It's a 2011 and has done about 54,000km, so never very much at all. It sounds like it's all going to fall apart soon, reading some of the posts above.

Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
If ya greasing ya nipples 👌👌 on an alko chassis hope ya taking the weight off the chassis otherwise the grease can’t get to were it needs to be. Just saying 😳

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Just be careful its not a binding brake , very similar symptom
To test for binding brake(s) let the van coast to a stop, if you feel a slight jolt when it finally comes to rest, it's most likely binding brake. Naturally the "jolt" will vary depending on the degree of binding.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Our MH is a Bürstner Harmony 625t - 2003 Ducato 2.8 JTD 42,000. We put it in for a pre-MOT check and found it has a cracked calliper. We have never done any off road driving. Only having it for a year with very little use, we don't know if previous owner did. Having said that, it passed last MOT.
Did he say what part is cracked

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Because if true wouldn’t it be defective and therefore a fail

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
Because if true wouldn’t it be defective and therefore a fail
It wouldn’t fail if it was a pre MOT check, however no sensible workshop would allow a lay-person to drive a vehicle with a defective brake system, historically my policy was to lock the keys in the safe and inform the customer that the police would be called if they attempted to remove it without a recovery truck.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Getting the van ready for the summer season, first time it's been out for a couple of months, so decided on a day trip to Felixstowe to check all is working as it should..

En route we stopped at Tesco's for some picnic goodies.. as I locked the the van I could smell burning.. walked around and felt the near side front hub, red hot..

so no trip today.. managed to drive home ..

Returning from France last year I had the rear offside bearing fail ..which turned out a very costly repair !

Rear Wheel Bearing Fail

It may well be prudent to have the other wheel bearings done at the same time.. will see what the garage says ..

Oh well.. it's only money .. but starting to lose faith in the old girl .. it's a black hole for hard earned.
Are they sealed bearings ( I mean is there a separate deal ,or are they tapered roller bearings ?
Biggest problem I found was when bearings are fitted when some grubby mechanic is not careful enough when fitting/ disturbing bearings, and making sure they are treated like a Surgeon doing a operation, you have make sure grit don't touch the bearing (s) those little rollers or ball bearings turn around millions of times on a mile, one piece of grit and it's like grinding paste.
Ps . I was mechanic, but I tired to be clean , and I didn't drink my own bath water 😄
PPS always try to avoid deep water I don't trust wheel bearing seals

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are they sealed bearings ( I mean is there a separate deal ,or are they tapered roller bearings ?
Honest cant say.. but believe they are sealed..

but having thought on this further, it was probably a seized brake rather than the bearing fail .. by the time I got home it had cooled down a bit which would point to brake seized .

but will find out next Tuesday when it goes into the garage (who fitted the new discs and pads last year all round.) .

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Had several go on an old Fiat Ducato. Garage suggested incorrect fitment. Said the bearings have a deformable spacer that crushes very slightly when the hub nut is torqued up correctly to give the required bearing clearance. Also that seized calipers keep pressure on the bearing sideways increasing wear.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Had several go on an old Fiat Ducato. Garage suggested incorrect fitment. Said the bearings have a deformable spacer that crushes very slightly when the hub nut is torqued up correctly to give the required bearing clearance. Also that seized calipers keep pressure on the bearing sideways increasing wear.
On one older VW campers, can't remember which one, (but, I think it was the T25) the early production needed a spacer washer between the stub axles and the bearing, later production model had different stub axle and spacer not needed.
Often this spacer got worn or was not supplied or fitted on bearing change, so led to problems because end of thread and torque was reached before correct pressure.
Only the older professional VW mechanics (and a few others) knew this.
Some didn't tell, it cost them work/wages if they had.

Apr 22, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
GR73tLX:fzBDbY!
Exp
Burstner I'm new
Did he say what part is cracked
No they haven't, but I will find out. It was striped down awaiting the arrival of a new part. The company sent out the wrong part!!! Fingers crossed nothing else is wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back