Joy of Joys... Another wheel bearing failed today ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Getting the van ready for the summer season, first time it's been out for a couple of months, so decided on a day trip to Felixstowe to check all is working as it should..

En route we stopped at Tesco's for some picnic goodies.. as I locked the the van I could smell burning.. walked around and felt the near side front hub, red hot..

so no trip today.. managed to drive home ..

Returning from France last year I had the rear offside bearing fail ..which turned out a very costly repair !

Rear Wheel Bearing Fail

It may well be prudent to have the other wheel bearings done at the same time.. will see what the garage says ..

Oh well.. it's only money .. but starting to lose faith in the old girl .. it's a black hole for hard earned.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My tps is good for detecting heat rises, once in the mountains coming down I was surprised how hot the wheels could get from all the braking…

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What base vehicle?
Don’t get much bearing failure in my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What base vehicle?
Don’t get much bearing failure in my experience.
Nor mine either... in 50 + years of motoring, never had it on any other cars or vans..

it's a 2003 Ducato 2.8 JTD 65,000 ml

No off roading .. lol

a few failures here at low milages

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The prevalence for bearings to fail may be due to the chassis final purpose, namely carrying effectively a caravan about on it, so extra stress on bearings and general running gear 🤷‍♂️
Mike.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Probably original bearings, grease breaks down overtime,hot cold cycles condensation and periods of inactivity all lead to the demise of bearings.have they ever been stripped cleaned and regreased? Probably not, they are 21 years old.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Probably original bearings, grease breaks down overtime,hot cold cycles condensation and periods of inactivity all lead to the demise of bearings.have they ever been stripped cleaned and regreased? Probably not, they are 21 years old.
yes.. probably ..

that was my thoughts when I said I was having the others done at the same time .. peace of mind

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Indeed,I’m in the haulage and Hgv & trailer repair& mot
business, hardly anything now has grease nipples, prop shafts,steering joints and even kingpins are sealed for life on some vehicles now
It was amazing how many other things got checked when one was looking for all the grease nipples! 😇

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Remember the good old days when the manufacturers fitted grease nipple's? 👍
oh yes indeed.. and it took a whole day to grease the nipples on an old Jag I had..

I still have a grease gun ..

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Nor mine either... in 50 + years of motoring, never had it on any other cars or vans..

it's a 2003 Ducato 2.8 JTD 65,000 ml

No off roading .. lol

a few failures here at low milages

3,250 miles per year over a period of twenty years! My opinion of vehicles with so low an annual mileage is that they will always be very prone to problems like this. These vehicles were designed for commercial use probably doing in excess of 20,000miles per year. Everyone that I hear of who does very low mileages each year experiences unexpected failures or wear patterns i.e. brake disc /pad wear, chassis / exhaust corrosion etc. etc.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The grease nipples were in the stub axles and centre cap.
This grease used to feed the bearings.
By the sound of it, your probably too young to remember? 😄
Kind of you to speculate on my age, if only it were true. Now you come to mention it, I can vaguely remember grease nipples on centre caps, but never on anything I owned.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Getting the van ready for the summer season, first time it's been out for a couple of months, so decided on a day trip to Felixstowe to check all is working as it should..

En route we stopped at Tesco's for some picnic goodies.. as I locked the the van I could smell burning.. walked around and felt the near side front hub, red hot..

Returning from France last year I had the rear offside bearing fail ..which turned out a very costly repair !

Rear Wheel Bearing Fail

It may well be prudent to have the other wheel bearings done at the same time.. will see what the garage says ..

Oh well.. it's only money .. but starting to lose faith in the old girl .. it's a black hole for hard earned.
Check the brakes first, it’s more likely that.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe so Jim, but being stood for so long it could be a stuck/sticking piston.
I recently replaced both pistons in the rear calipers due to the pistons sticking after fitting new pads.
up until tJan this year it was the daily driver .. so not sitting around for long.. but it's strong possibility even if only sitting for a couple of months..

hopefully if that is the problem will have all the brakes looked and serviced

will report back when fixed

Jan 30, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2010

Rear Wheel Bearing Fail

Peugeot Boxer I had in 2010 had three wheel bearings go, and yes I can confirm they are expensive to replace.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Common fault on our Master....once had overheated binding handbrake...in its course it must of melted the wheel bearing grease....that failed shortly afterwards...I think..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back