Interesting option on new motorhomes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Whilst merrily pottering around 'Peterbog' show I noticed that some of the new MHs on display have a 'stop start' systems as an option ... I assume this is the same as the system in cars, ie it stops the engine when you're stationary and starts it again when you press the clutch and/or accelerator pedals ... I can't for one minute imagine why anyone would want it on a MH as it drives us crackers on a car so we always turn it off! Has anyone got a new MH with it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I don't have it on our motorhome, but do on my car (13 plate Mercedes) took it in for service and was lent a brand new one and was really surprised it has an option to turn off that 'feature', really cant think why you would want to turn it off TBH, my car doesn't have that option

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Not got it on the MH but have had it on the last couple of cars. I don't mind it.

All I can say is, it's never let me down. Even in the BMW no matter how fast I've tried to get away from a junction by the time my foot has left the brake and hit the throttle the engine has been ready.

Can't really say anything more than that (y)

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The only car I ever drove that had stop start was a Honda Insight that we had as a courtesy car.
    Now, I was taught that when you arrive at traffic lights that are red, you stop, engage handbrake and release foot brake so that you don't dazzle the people behind you with your brake lights (especially at night). Driving like this leaves the engine running in an insight.
    If you keep the brake pedal down, it did indeed cut the engine, but moving off, it was so slow to restart, that I kept getting a big kick up the arse and a wheelspin.
    I chose to turn on the air conditioning (that seemed to stop it turning off the engine) and using the handbrake.
    I have found there is this thing on the side of the steering column in the Motorhome, it's called an 'ignition key'. When I can see I am going to be stopped for a long time I turn it towards me. The engine stops. When the traffic starts to move again, turning this 'ignition key' in the opposite direction starts the engine! :D
    I do hate technology that cures a problem we didn't have! GRRR!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 5
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I use 2 second FIAT hill start system a lot......this sounds like a step backwards :( it's close enough as it is with 2 seconds but waiting for the engine to start sounds bad!

6. Brendan

Brendan Funster Life Member

Like some of the other posters I don't have this on my van, but do have it on my car.
    I believe it is pretty much standard on many cars now, but the systems vary greatly in their performance, and so therefore people's experience of the technology.
    Like @NickNic I have a BMW and have to say that the only noticeable difference to any other car I have driven is the noise - i.e. the engine stops.
    When I stop the car and all the criteria are right according to the magic gubbins, the engine stops.
    I then have a few choices.
    I can sit with my foot on the brake pedal and annoy anyone behind, I can put the car in neutral - it's an automatic and so this is the press of a button, or I can apply the handbrake, and likewise this is the press of a button.
    Whichever of these options I choose, any other input, either as a requirement from me (selecting a gear, applying the throttle, turning the steering wheel), or from the onboard systems (battery levels, air-conditioning etc) will cause a restart.
    As I said earlier the quality of the technology will inform people's experience of these systems.
    A friend often comments on mine when the engine stops, but can't accept that it can restart before I can switch my foot from the brake to accelerator pedal.
    I wouldn't always be gushing in my praise of BMW, but I believe their stop/start system is pretty impressive.
    And if it isn't running it isn't burning fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and in a city.. with stop start traffic, pollution will be vastly cut .. particularly from diesel engined delivery vans.

8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I'm with that, my new Smart has it and it's instantaneous. ..it saves fuel so why not! Really aimed at city delivery vans that are stuck in traffic most of their lives I would think....takes geting used to but pointless turning it off IMO

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

If it isn't running, it's not burning fuel.

That argument works best for long waits at the lights, but-

If the engine has shut down for only a few seconds, how much fuel is used recharging the battery in comparison to that saved?

It would be a pain in the backside on our van, the Sterling charger wouldn't know where it was with continual stopping and starting!

10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Exactly ! Try not using handbrake on a test, you'd fail.
    It is nonsense, you stop, handbrake goes on. Sittig with foot on brake pedal also creates a hotspot on the discs leading to warping & vibration.
    But some research shows the restart uses more fuel than if left running at lights ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We recently picked up a new Nissan X-Trail, first vehicle on which we've had the engine stop-start feature. As previously stated, it only does so when conditions are appropriate, and you can use the electric handbrake in addition to brake pedal etc. It restarts really quickly, so you're definitely not left hanging there. I don't believe there is an option to disable it, but I don't personally see why you'd need/want to.

12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

And a handbrake doesn't involve pads on a hot disc?
    True for a car with a 65/35 ish brake bias, but for a loaded commercial chassis, the brake bias can be very close to 50/50.

13. busby

busby Funster

Just something else to go wrong,,,,and i wonder how long starter motors last,,,,,BUSBY:):)

• Like Like x 6
  14. busby

busby Funster

If rear brakes are disc it will You don't take your test every day......

15. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Our Peugot car has it and it drives me mad. That together with it's semitronic type gear box makes me hate it with a passion, because together they do strange things. Try pulling out in a gap in the traffic and you are in for trouble, whilst it sorts it's self out and you are left half way out. Can't wait till September when Mobility will want it back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Have it on my Honda pcx weird at first but got used to it now seems normal

Joe

17. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

Have it on my SEAT Leon and it works very well. There is a button between the seats to disable, which is needed from time to time. In slow but continually moving stop & start traffic, continual stop/start would be tedious, heavy on the battery and fuel consumption. I think the technology disables the system anyway if the battery falls bellow a certain charge level, also if the engine is not warm enough. For stopping at lights, level crossings, junctions however, the system is really good.

18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi John all my vans have had a rear disc and drum combo for the handbrake ;) (y) IE disc to stop and handbrake applied the drum held -
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Got it on our Mini and love it. Starts really quickly, saves fuel.What's not to like, other than it's another gizmo to go wrong as it gets older. As for the motorhome, it feels odd not to have it when I first drive it, but then I don't really want to be in town traffic when out in it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

My Kia Venga has it, hate it I aways turn it off, unfortunately can't turn it off permanently to have to remember to switch it off after starting the engine. On mine you need to push the clutch all the way to the floor for the engine to start, as the engine is barely audible on tickover unless looking at the tacho you don't realise it's stopped, lights change dip the clutch put it in gear release the clutch & nothing happens - panic, calm down and remember to push the clutch to the floor.

• Like Like x 1