Interesting option on new motorhomes (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I heard that these systems strain starter motors and have led to increased wear in some vehicles. I don't know if this is hearsay or backed up with evidence.
There is a known fault on some Smart ForTwos - the stop/start system puts a lot of strain on the belt and starter motor and eventually the bolt holding the starter motor can wear and allow it to move slightly, this then allows the belt to move and eventually it shreds, or the belt can just shred anyway if it moves ... this is what happened on one of the ForTwos we had! It is, however, fully covered for repair by Smart FOC, even if the car is out of warranty, I'm not sure what they do exactly although I believe the belt is changed form a smooth one to possibly a V or groove/teeth one. The only problem if the belt suddenly goes is that as connects the ancillaries such as water pump, oil pump and a few other bits and bobs so consequently you can easily boil your engine within a very short distance .... if it ever happens always STOP immediately and get recovered, don't ever be tempted to try to get home ... On ours when the belt when it thwacked the temperature sensor so that also needed replacing FOC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back