Interesting option on new motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst merrily pottering around 'Peterbog' show I noticed that some of the new MHs on display have a 'stop start' systems as an option ... I assume this is the same as the system in cars, ie it stops the engine when you're stationary and starts it again when you press the clutch and/or accelerator pedals ... I can't for one minute imagine why anyone would want it on a MH as it drives us crackers on a car so we always turn it off! Has anyone got a new MH with it?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't have it on our motorhome, but do on my car (13 plate Mercedes) took it in for service and was lent a brand new one and was really surprised it has an option to turn off that 'feature', really cant think why you would want to turn it off TBH, my car doesn't have that option

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not got it on the MH but have had it on the last couple of cars. I don't mind it.

All I can say is, it's never let me down. Even in the BMW no matter how fast I've tried to get away from a junction by the time my foot has left the brake and hit the throttle the engine has been ready.

Can't really say anything more than that (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The only car I ever drove that had stop start was a Honda Insight that we had as a courtesy car.
Now, I was taught that when you arrive at traffic lights that are red, you stop, engage handbrake and release foot brake so that you don't dazzle the people behind you with your brake lights (especially at night). Driving like this leaves the engine running in an insight.
If you keep the brake pedal down, it did indeed cut the engine, but moving off, it was so slow to restart, that I kept getting a big kick up the arse and a wheelspin.
I chose to turn on the air conditioning (that seemed to stop it turning off the engine) and using the handbrake.
I have found there is this thing on the side of the steering column in the Motorhome, it's called an 'ignition key'. When I can see I am going to be stopped for a long time I turn it towards me. The engine stops. When the traffic starts to move again, turning this 'ignition key' in the opposite direction starts the engine! :D
I do hate technology that cures a problem we didn't have! GRRR!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I use 2 second FIAT hill start system a lot......this sounds like a step backwards :( it's close enough as it is with 2 seconds but waiting for the engine to start sounds bad!

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Like some of the other posters I don't have this on my van, but do have it on my car.
I believe it is pretty much standard on many cars now, but the systems vary greatly in their performance, and so therefore people's experience of the technology.
Like @NickNic I have a BMW and have to say that the only noticeable difference to any other car I have driven is the noise - i.e. the engine stops.
When I stop the car and all the criteria are right according to the magic gubbins, the engine stops.
I then have a few choices.
I can sit with my foot on the brake pedal and annoy anyone behind, I can put the car in neutral - it's an automatic and so this is the press of a button, or I can apply the handbrake, and likewise this is the press of a button.
Whichever of these options I choose, any other input, either as a requirement from me (selecting a gear, applying the throttle, turning the steering wheel), or from the onboard systems (battery levels, air-conditioning etc) will cause a restart.
As I said earlier the quality of the technology will inform people's experience of these systems.
A friend often comments on mine when the engine stops, but can't accept that it can restart before I can switch my foot from the brake to accelerator pedal.
I wouldn't always be gushing in my praise of BMW, but I believe their stop/start system is pretty impressive.
And if it isn't running it isn't burning fuel.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not got it on the MH but have had it on the last couple of cars. I don't mind it.

All I can say is, it's never let me down. Even in the BMW no matter how fast I've tried to get away from a junction by the time my foot has left the brake and hit the throttle the engine has been ready.

Can't really say anything more than that (y)

I'm with that, my new Smart has it and it's instantaneous. ..it saves fuel so why not! Really aimed at city delivery vans that are stuck in traffic most of their lives I would think....takes geting used to but pointless turning it off IMO

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If it isn't running, it's not burning fuel.

That argument works best for long waits at the lights, but-

If the engine has shut down for only a few seconds, how much fuel is used recharging the battery in comparison to that saved?

It would be a pain in the backside on our van, the Sterling charger wouldn't know where it was with continual stopping and starting!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only car I ever drove that had stop start was a Honda Insight that we had as a courtesy car.
Now, I was taught that when you arrive at traffic lights that are red, you stop, engage handbrake and release foot brake so that you don't dazzle the people behind you with your brake lights (especially at night). Driving like this leaves the engine running in an insight.
If you keep the brake pedal down, it did indeed cut the engine, but moving off, it was so slow to restart, that I kept getting a big kick up the arse and a wheelspin.
I chose to turn on the air conditioning (that seemed to stop it turning off the engine) and using the handbrake.
I have found there is this thing on the side of the steering column in the Motorhome, it's called an 'ignition key'. When I can see I am going to be stopped for a long time I turn it towards me. The engine stops. When the traffic starts to move again, turning this 'ignition key' in the opposite direction starts the engine! :D
I do hate technology that cures a problem we didn't have! GRRR!

Exactly ! Try not using handbrake on a test, you'd fail.
It is nonsense, you stop, handbrake goes on. Sittig with foot on brake pedal also creates a hotspot on the discs leading to warping & vibration.
and in a city.. with stop start traffic, pollution will be vastly cut .. particularly from diesel engined delivery vans.

But some research shows the restart uses more fuel than if left running at lights ?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We recently picked up a new Nissan X-Trail, first vehicle on which we've had the engine stop-start feature. As previously stated, it only does so when conditions are appropriate, and you can use the electric handbrake in addition to brake pedal etc. It restarts really quickly, so you're definitely not left hanging there. I don't believe there is an option to disable it, but I don't personally see why you'd need/want to.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Exactly ! Try not using handbrake on a test, you'd fail.
It is nonsense, you stop, handbrake goes on. Sittig with foot on brake pedal also creates a hotspot on the discs leading to warping & vibration.

But some research shows the restart uses more fuel than if left running at lights ?

And a handbrake doesn't involve pads on a hot disc?
True for a car with a 65/35 ish brake bias, but for a loaded commercial chassis, the brake bias can be very close to 50/50.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
True for a car with a 65/35 ish brake bias, but for a loaded commercial chassis, the brake bias can be very close to 50/50.
If rear brakes are disc it will You don't take your test every day......

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Our Peugot car has it and it drives me mad. That together with it's semitronic type gear box makes me hate it with a passion, because together they do strange things. Try pulling out in a gap in the traffic and you are in for trouble, whilst it sorts it's self out and you are left half way out. Can't wait till September when Mobility will want it back.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Have it on my SEAT Leon and it works very well. There is a button between the seats to disable, which is needed from time to time. In slow but continually moving stop & start traffic, continual stop/start would be tedious, heavy on the battery and fuel consumption. I think the technology disables the system anyway if the battery falls bellow a certain charge level, also if the engine is not warm enough. For stopping at lights, level crossings, junctions however, the system is really good.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John all my vans have had a rear disc and drum combo for the handbrake ;) (y) IE disc to stop and handbrake applied the drum held -
terry

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Got it on our Mini and love it. Starts really quickly, saves fuel.What's not to like, other than it's another gizmo to go wrong as it gets older. As for the motorhome, it feels odd not to have it when I first drive it, but then I don't really want to be in town traffic when out in it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Kia Venga has it, hate it I aways turn it off, unfortunately can't turn it off permanently to have to remember to switch it off after starting the engine. On mine you need to push the clutch all the way to the floor for the engine to start, as the engine is barely audible on tickover unless looking at the tacho you don't realise it's stopped, lights change dip the clutch put it in gear release the clutch & nothing happens - panic, calm down and remember to push the clutch to the floor.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
The last two Nissans ive had, a Note and now a Pulsar both had Stop/Start which could be switched off. In the handbook there are lots of situations where it will not engage such as - stationary on a hill, bonnet open, engine not up to temp, battery voltage low. On the Pulsar when it operates it displays the amount of CO2 saved. It believe it was brought in to reduce emissions and resulted in lower tax bands.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi John all my vans have had a rear disc and drum combo for the handbrake ;) (y) IE disc to stop and handbrake applied the drum held -
terry

Hi Terry
All my Transits have had a rear disc handbrake. As do all HGVs.
Pretty sure the Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall Trafic/Primastar/Vivaro does too.
I know the disc/drum rear combo was popular on GM and Volvo cars.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have it on Chris`s Skoda Octavia estate, manual gearbox, foot on clutch and the engine starts, on my Vw Golf estate depressing the accelerator starts the engine, auto gearbox with auto handbrake.
The annoying feature of this is when driving in city traffic when you are stop start, you stop for seconds and just when it`s time to go the engine cuts out.
It`s fine at a set of lights as you don`t have that stop start scenario.
Personally the first thing I do is turn out off, Chris leaves hers on.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry
All my Transits have had a rear disc handbrake. As do all HGVs.
Pretty sure the Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall Trafic/Primastar/Vivaro does too.
I know the disc/drum rear combo was popular on GM and Volvo cars.
Hi John cheers for that info -Never touched any of the Transits except for older ones that only had rear drums and that was years ago -Come to think of it yes the Vivaro has rear disc/HB --I had alloy wheels fitted the other day but took little notice -My Ivehco's have all had Disc/drum combos -Think I had better leave the mechanic-ing to my mate these days :)
terry

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just something else to go wrong,,,,and i wonder how long starter motors last,,,,,BUSBY:):)

I heard that these systems strain starter motors and have led to increased wear in some vehicles. I don't know if this is hearsay or backed up with evidence.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I've got one on my Merc car and I find myself turning it off because the re-starting at traffic lights irritates me, completely illogical on my part I know. I read somewhere that idling uses 6-8% of all fuel consumed. It is also against the law apparently to idle excessively although it seems unclear what "excessively" means!
The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002

PART 6STOPPING OF ENGINES
Stopping of engine when vehicle stationary
12.—(1) An authorised person who has reasonable cause to believe that the driver of a vehicle that is stationary on a road is committing a stationary idling offence may, upon production of evidence of his authorisation, require him to stop the running of the engine of that vehicle.

(2) A person who fails to comply with a requirement under paragraph (1) shall be guilty of an offence and be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

Issue of fixed penalty notice: stationary idling offence
13. An authorised person who considers that a stationary idling offence has been committed may, in accordance with Part 7, issue a fixed penalty notice to the driver of the vehicle.

I'm often found to be stationary and idling at home but that's usually on the sofa, if my manager sees this she may fine me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sittig with foot on brake pedal also creates a hotspot on the discs leading to warping & vibration.
Then my car must have special discs.
after 9 years they arent warped or cause vibrations in use.

The car is 9 years old, I have owned it for the last 5 years and the only time the handbrake gets used is at MOT.
Its a foot operated brake with an awkward release lever low down under the dash......

why ?

Because america doesn't use a handbrake other than for parking.
By the time you have reached down and released the brake you have lost your chance to exit the junction etc.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had a hire Audi with it on thought it was excellent I'd definitely have it on a new motorhome.
Cuts pollution saves fuel whats not too like.:eek:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

A "disc" handbrake is miniscule in comparison to the actual braking pad surface area.& it is the front ones that warp & cause the vibration problem.My wife used to do it regularly.

Then my car must have special discs.
after 9 years they arent warped or cause vibrations in use.

The car is 9 years old, I have owned it for the last 5 years and the only time the handbrake gets used is at MOT.
Its a foot operated brake with an awkward release lever low down under the dash......

why ?

Because america doesn't use a handbrake other than for parking.
By the time you have reached down and released the brake you have lost your chance to exit the junction etc.
My wife used to regularly ruin our discs. One even warped within 300miles from new & nothing to do with me as I hadn't even had time to drive it.:cry:

mines exactly the same .foot operated & dash release. When I stop, on it goes & hand is on the release from the moment I've stopped . Never cause me a problem getting out.Whereas sit with foot on brake pedal & touch throttle with the other foot & on comes engine management light & limp mode as computer says you can't operate both at same time.:(

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my ducato is drum in disc hand brake but my vivaro is disc hand brake

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun