Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Let us know how you get on Jim. I could have done with one last night driving home from work. Parked cars both sides of the road and boy racer coming the other way expecting me to give way to him. It wasn't going to happen.

We both stopped, exchanged glares and then the other guy moved forward and so did I . I heard a slight noise and noticed my wing mirror was forced in and assumed we had touched mirrors.

I carried on but noticed in my mirror that boy racer was doing a u turn. He then proceeded to tailgate me. I was with my wife and he had another chav with him.

"Here we go " I thought. I carried on until I got to my daughters school and pulled in. He did the old block me in routine you see on the films.

I asked what his problem was and he said I had scraped his car. I got out and sure enough my car was scratched and so was his. he said it was my fault , I said it was his. He wanted my insurance details and I said no problem but I want yours as well.

I went back to my car to get a pen and by the time I got back he had changed his tune and said he didn't want to take it any further. I suspect he didn't have insurance.

I don't think it was my fault but I was relieved not to get beaten up to be honest.There are some right nasty pieces of work in this part of South East London. Thankfully he wasn't one of them despite what he looked like.:thumb:

I have a wife too and in a situation like that Treacle i wouldnt hesitate in using her.:ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have had it a few months now and am very pleased with it.
It has dual lenses but I turn off the cab view which makes the forward view wider. It has a GPS attachment which I have not yet used.
But, what I like about it is it is so simple to use. And, to play back through your computer you just take the SD card and pop it in, open and play. It is easy to find the bits you want according to date and time and the picture quality is great!
If there are any bit you want to keep from being erased (if you have a prang or film something interesting) press the orange button and it will save the previous 15 minutes.:thumb:
Mike
Hi Mike,

Have you got a supplier link please. I haven't been able to find a UK supplier.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just received our newsletter from Snooper and they are introducing a video journey recorder, well respected company with customer support up there with the best, very tempted:thumb:

Looks to be a good quality very discreet piece of kit, anyone any views?

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Just received our newsletter from Snooper and they are introducing a video journey recorder, well respected company with customer support up there with the best, very tempted:thumb:

Link Removed

Looks like a nice discreet piece of kit. The advert and pics appear a bit misleading to me. The pics make it look like its a standalone item, so I assumed it was powered by it own battery, which would be great for someone like me with no techie experience. But the specification only mentions a 2/24v hardwire power option? Have I missed something?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Looks like a nice discreet piece of kit. The advert and pics appear a bit misleading to me. The pics make it look like its a standalone item, so I assumed it was powered by it own battery, which would be great for someone like me with no techie experience. But the specification only mentions a 2/24v hardwire power option? Have I missed something?

The spec is very misleading and how its powered had me wondering, suspect it has to be hardwired.:Eeek:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi Mike,

Have you got a supplier link please. I haven't been able to find a UK supplier.

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi J&R,
here is a seller on Ebay in China - not sure if it's the one we bought from. I have bought several things from China and not had any problem.
Link Removed
regards, Mike:thumb:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005

Link Removed

A beautiful design but very pricey!
4gb memory card is a bit small. I bought a 34 gb card for mine

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi J&R,
here is a seller on Ebay in China - not sure if it's the one we bought from. I have bought several things from China and not had any problem.
Link Removed
regards, Mike:thumb:
Thanks for that Mike. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I have had it a few months now and am very pleased with it.
It has dual lenses but I turn off the cab view which makes the forward view wider. It has a GPS attachment which I have not yet used.

Mike, whats the battery life like?
Also, if your running the camera off the lithium battery, does the engine start up/off function still work?

Many Thanks
Jmn

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A beautiful design but very pricey!
4gb memory card is a bit small. I bought a 34 gb card for mine

Unless you want to record the whole journey, 4gb should be enough because you basically only want the last short peiod in your life, the rest can be overwritten. :RollEyes:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The spec is very misleading and how its powered had me wondering, suspect it has to be hardwired.:Eeek:

Have emailed Snooper for clarification of the power issue, also if spare support brackets and power leads will be available to allow transfer between vehicles.

Complemented them on the very discreet design but suggested moving the company logo from the front to make it even less noticeable.

Will post any reply:thumb::thumb::thumb:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Mike, whats the battery life like?
Also, if your running the camera off the lithium battery, does the engine start up/off function still work?

Many Thanks
Jmn

Hi JMN,
I haven't used it on battery alone. In the van I plug it into the ciggy lighter thingy and it starts. Pull it out and it stops.
In the car it starts when I turn on the ignition.
There are various settings which I haven't looked into.
Like all these DVRs, they are not quite so neat when you attach a power cable!
Regards, Mike :Smile:

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
I have three in car cameras for all my vehicles the first one cost £28 on ebay and each year they seem to drop in price. I will not drive over the water without it even if using the car MH etc etc. ::bigsmile:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I was overtaken last week by an idiot overtaking on solid whites, madness......This guy in the video below is supposed to be a professional driver. Certainly the footage would put him in prison if he caused a collision

Link Removed

Published on 06/03/2013 19:30

A truck driver could lose his licence after he was captured on a hidden in-car camera driving dangerously while on a Northamptonshire road.

Adrian Maynard, aged 48, of Springwood Court, Northampton, was yesterday convicted of dangerous driving after he was taped swerving to overtake on the A508, near Stoke Bruerne.

He was captured on film by the driver he was overtaking, who had a secret camera attached to the windscreen. The device was recording the road ahead of him.

The landmark conviction is a first for Northamptonshire and is believed to be the first of its kind in the UK. It could open the door to thousands of similar prosecutions.

Northampton Magistrates’ Court heard Maynard was driving along the A508, towards Northampton, at about 2.30pm on Sunday, May 27, last year, when he caught up with a line of slow moving traffic.

He then swerved into the oncoming lane, crossing two solid white lines to overtake, before veering back into his lane between two bollards.

A clip of the manoeuvre was played in court.

Maynard admitted he was driving the Vauxhall Tigra on the day but denied the overtaking manoeuvre was dangerous.

Magistrates, however, convicted him of dangerous driving and disqualified him from driving for 12 months. He was also sentenced to 40 hours of unpaid work. Maynard, who told the court he is an agency driver who drives 7.5 tonne trucks for a living, told magistrates he will appeal and the sentence was suspended pending the outcome of any appeal.

Maynard has until March 27 to appeal the ban.

A FIRM that promotes the use of hidden car cameras has said there are now “tens of thousands of the devices” in use in the UK.

The landmark conviction of Adrian Maynard for dangerous driving yesterday came after PoliceWitness.com supported his prosecution.

The firm’s chief executive Matt Stockdale said: “This is a huge landmark. For a member of the public to bring a successful prosecution is absolutely huge. There are fewer and fewer police officer on our streets but this just goes to show you, or I, can make a difference.

Last edited:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
camera

we got one 15 quid on ebay really pleased with it:Smile:

nnz2

Free Member
Mar 21, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
RV Hi Top
Exp
ya the price drops every years, I ordered a cheaper dash cam earlier this week. If it works well I might spring for a better one in the future but for my needs right now it doesnt need to be super high resolution and the videos shown by reviewers were more than adequate.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It may be worth remembering the new laws regarding things attached to the windscreen that obstruct your field of view. So Dash board mount recommended.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It may be worth remembering the new laws regarding things attached to the windscreen that obstruct your field of view. So Dash board mount recommended.

Very good point - but it's finding one.

Many (most?) can only be windscreen mounted (and will only mount one way up) despite the fact that they are advertised as dash cameras.

I made up my own mount for the car and my own mounting point in the van to avoid screen obstruction.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

What about the ones that fit behind the rear view mirror? The one I've ordered (but that hasn't arrived yet) is supposed to do that. If it is the size claimed I'll try to velcro it in place.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Honest John in the Telegraph positions his on the top of the passenger side windscreen so if he pulls down his passenger sunshade the camera sits behind it.
Therefore not obscuring the windscreen.

I put my car camera there which if you angle it slightly to cover the right side of the road works fine.

The Motorhome camera clips onto the rearview mirror and is no problem to angle to cover all sections of the road here and on the continent.

I just wish I could get a slightly smaller one for use in the car as when I tried it and used it for a time it did obstruct the passenger sunshade slightly.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm getting a dash camera for the motorhome for my birthday but I couldn't wait so got a cheapy to try out in the car.
I can manage to stick it on the dash with the sucker but it means it records upside down!

I've tried it on the window and it's quite good but I'm damned if I can manage the charger cable. Whichever way I put the thing it gets in the way, how does everyone manage the cables?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I done the same thing and had it upside down, I adjusted it and it now sits attached to the bottom of the windscreen. Works great for a cheapo.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a cheap one in the van, mounted under the drop down bed on a standard tripod screw mount, so that the blinds can be drawn without moving the camera (though of course it only sees the inside of the blinds if they're closed. The 32Gb class 10 micro sd card actually cost more than the camera.
I have one of the dual camera/GPS ones in my car. A little bit more expensive (3x the price) but I wouldn't say the video quality is any better, though it does show speed and position.

The Northampton clip above shows how any camera is useful, the picture quality of that one was terrible and still got a conviction.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
If you put on top of screen push wire into the headlining , then feed wire into the gap between the door seal and dashboard then gaffer tape it under the dash and gather up spare cable. Don't forget to leave enough cable loses so you can take power jack out of cigarette charger!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My cheap camera has arrived and it seems to work well - even though the "manual" isn't at all helpful. However I can't get the PC to recognise it to download stuff. That's a problem for another day.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My cheap camera has arrived and it seems to work well - even though the "manual" isn't at all helpful. However I can't get the PC to recognise it to download stuff. That's a problem for another day.

Some cameras (mine included) can't be linked directly to a PC.

I need to remove the Micro SD card and put it into a reader (adapter supplied with the card or multi-reader from a £1 shop is what I use) then execute the software on the card to show what has been filmed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Some cameras (mine included) can't be linked directly to a PC.

I need to remove the Micro SD card and put it into a reader (adapter supplied with the card or multi-reader from a £1 shop is what I use) then execute the software on the card to show what has been filmed.

That's what I intend to do in the morning, Too tired right now! At least I now know it isn't me and it could be that the PC and camera just don't handshake.

I'll probably get another micro card as well so I have a spare.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Mine is mounted behind ( or in front of, depending which way you look at it) the rear view camera screen so is out of the way, power lead comes out of the headlining.
Hasn't caught any near misses yet, but it did catch the local dealers mechanic misbehaving who has since got the sack.
Powerful stuff, video evidence, as long as it is good quality and reliable. A time stamp is necessary for evidential purposes too.
Allan

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
in car/ motor home camera

I have 2 of these one in my car vico wf1 and the Crocolis in the motorhome, the vico is completely automatic switches on and off, a voice tells you its recording and when its shutting down, you can connect to it with your smart phone, or remove the SD card and play in your computer, it has no screen, you do not need a screen if you have the above, the crocolis is also hd and has a screen.

please see the links below, also on the Techmoan web site he reviews others

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/10/21/vico-wf-1-wifi-car-dashcam-with-smartphone-app-control.html

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh...ction_Camcorders/Sports_Action_Camera_Full_HD

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I fancy protecting myself with an in-cab-camera and you can get them for about £20 I've seen one, more expensive but the spec on this particular camera seems to be superb, two HD lenses, knows if you've had a collision, auto starts with the van etc. It's on ebay; has anyone already got it? Link Removed

The question has to be asked, aren't we all getting a bit paranoid about these cameras how many people out of the masses have actually used the device to secure a insurance claim or whatever:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back