Free Member
Sep 7, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
February 2011
I run with a Smart Cam £70 good bit of kit, works day or night good quality pictures, it with do the job it is there for without spending a fortune.
Gus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Has anyone used anything similar on a motor cycle/scooter? ideally fitted to windshield rather than helmet/rider.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can have 'action camera' for motorcycles - it will mount wherever you like it!

They are water and vibration resistant. I am only just getting them in, so not sure on what they should retail at.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
FOR INFO, the new trucks arriving at work are fitted with Roadhawk, someone must have investigated them, they dont issue gloves unless you make them!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have been using one for some time now - in the van and in the car. Having seen the one you are after I think I may change and get that one. There is also a great looking one that fits over the mirror.
As for being admissible in court - you'd probably never get that far down the line as any con would realise you've got enough evidence to show 'e dunnit
:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks, it looks good, but its too pricey for me. Gonna go withLink Removed that I mentioned in post one:thumb:

DON'T do it JIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

half that price same one?
Link Removed

and a right con man here
Link Removed

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't buy one of those cameras at all.

Everyone who has one seems to get into accidents.

Just look on YouTube theres loads of them and they are all recording accidents.

They are obviously dangerous.

::bigsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Let us know how you get on Jim. I could have done with one last night driving home from work. Parked cars both sides of the road and boy racer coming the other way expecting me to give way to him. It wasn't going to happen.

We both stopped, exchanged glares and then the other guy moved forward and so did I . I heard a slight noise and noticed my wing mirror was forced in and assumed we had touched mirrors.

I carried on but noticed in my mirror that boy racer was doing a u turn. He then proceeded to tailgate me. I was with my wife and he had another chav with him.

"Here we go " I thought. I carried on until I got to my daughters school and pulled in. He did the old block me in routine you see on the films.

I asked what his problem was and he said I had scraped his car. I got out and sure enough my car was scratched and so was his. he said it was my fault , I said it was his. He wanted my insurance details and I said no problem but I want yours as well.

I went back to my car to get a pen and by the time I got back he had changed his tune and said he didn't want to take it any further. I suspect he didn't have insurance.

I don't think it was my fault but I was relieved not to get beaten up to be honest.There are some right nasty pieces of work in this part of South East London. Thankfully he wasn't one of them despite what he looked like.:thumb:

reminds me of the old joke
bloke in pub is talking to the barman and says his from bermondsey the bar man doesnt belive him so asks him to prove it so he stabs him

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Just bought a duel recorder. It has front and rear facing lense however it records your journey from the front and the inside of the car. At first I thought why inside the car? But, if you happen to be victim of the fraudsters they may well claim you were not paying attention cause you were on your mobile or changing a CD. With this camera you have film to prove you were not distracted but driving normally. Anyway here is a review. Iincidentally, I only paid £30 plus £5 postage. Reckon it should be good in my van (when I get it)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WwuZn8J6IA"]A cheap Dual Camera Car Black Box DVR with GPS - YouTube[/ame].

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Enery,

I'd be pleased to know how you get on with your new dual recording camera please, once you've had time to assess it. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
No problem Jock. So far I have had it in my Rangie and it works pretty well. Not hooked up the cables yet. The mounting bracket will only adjust one way. On the range rover windscreen it severely limits the positions you can mount it. The pictures show the upper mounting behind the interior mirror and the lower position which is fairly obvious. The main problem from my point of view is the connection of the cables and routing them around the window which is why I am trialing the lower position.
I will publish a report on the camera when I have had a chance to thoroughly check it out.

Attachments

• upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 48
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi Jim,

Have a look at Techmoan.com he has reviewed a number of in car cameras.
I have just bought the rearview mirror camera that he has recently reviewed.

My thoughts on this camera were,

It is unobtrusive, you would not know you have a camera in the cab.

You do not have to take it off the screen when you leave the van or close your blinds

As my van has no rear view, a solid back, the rear view mirror is redundant. Therefore I will be able to ensure that the camera covers all the road.

I cut a cardboard template from the measurements given and checked it would fit and I could pull down the blinds before I purchased it.

It cost £38.90 ( not sure yet if I will pay duty and handling charge) but if there are it would cost around £51 so worth a punt

Bought it from the link on Techmoan.

Will let you know how it works when I get it.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
From where?, please:thumb:

Hi Tim,
Bought it on ebay. seller is steph2102paige. Recorded 1st class, quick delivery.
hope this helps
Bill

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I bought a dual lens camera a few weeks ago, got it last week (from China).
It replaces one I bought about 18 months ago which was OK at the time but technology has moved on leaps and bounds.
The new one has a much clearer image and also has GPs (which I haven't connected yet). There are a lot on the market. This one got good reviews so I went for it even though there are nicer looking ones on the market!:RollEyes:

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 47

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
I bought a dual lens camera a few weeks ago, got it last week (from China).
It replaces one I bought about 18 months ago which was OK at the time but technology has moved on leaps and bounds.
The new one has a much clearer image and also has GPs (which I haven't connected yet). There are a lot on the market. This one got good reviews so I went for it even though there are nicer looking ones on the market!:RollEyes:

Hi ojibway,
looks like the same mount as mine which also has GPS (which I haven't connected yet either :winky:) I have noticed that the price I paid was bargain basement although I didn't realise that at the time :thumb:
Good luck with your new camera, please let us know how you get on with it.
Bill

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Sorry I thought it was from a trader not a private sale:Doh: I was wondering why I couldn't find it so cheap:winky:

She actually started with 5 on offer and I got the last one. I dont know if she will have any more though. Looking at her feedback she has sold a number of these so is likely buying them from the Chinese supplier. www.chinavasion.com

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Fitted X3000 in the car at last. Due to the slope of the windscreen and the mounting bracket not a lot of choices where to mount it. Motorhome may have less sloped windscreen so might be better. I decided to mount it low as I did not want to be running cables in the Rangie because it is waiting to be sold. Anyway, fitted the camera in the bracket and connected the cables (power and GPS) the power cable is u/s just like the one in the Techmoan review, common fault??? :Angry:
Changed power cable for my 5 volt Tomtom satnav power cable - sorted! The GPS cable fitted next, switched on ignition and, low and behold the unit fired up and worked perfectly. With the GPS unit just lying in the corner of the windscreen took about half minute to pick up a satellite signal (pleased with that :thumb:)
switched ignition off few seconds later unit went off but continued charging.
I have used the PC software and felt it was pretty east to use. However, not been pushed to the limit as yet but it does look okay, I will report back on this in the near future.
Main problem so far is the power lead not working:Angry:.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've been thinking of mounting a camera for a while. Not only for accidents but for general recording of the trip as some of the views when driving in Scotland are stunningl Anyone reccomend one from experience. I'd be looking for one that it's easy to transfer the recording to a pc from.:Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
:roflmto: We have used a video on a bean bag or cushion for years when on holiday or somewhere nice.

The nest bit of playing it back is the general conversation in the background! It makes for a giggle some times:whatthe:

Eddie

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Well, having used the camera for a few weeks now I have to say I like it. This one does not allow you to choose the length of each piece of film just runs on till switched off I think. I have now used it with the GPS which seems the pick up the satellite easily even with the receiver just chucked on the dash near the wind.
It has proved its worth on 2 occasions, once when some one reversed out onto the main road in front of me the other when some old nutter came around the corner on my side of the road at break neck speed. No damage but evidence is available should I ever need it.:thumb:
So, very happy with the camera, leave it in the windscreen, fires up when I start the engine and turns off when I switch off. Take the card out when I want to back it up to the computer - easy peasy.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well, having used the camera for a few weeks now I have to say I like it. This one does not allow you to choose the length of each piece of film just runs on till switched off I think. I have now used it with the GPS which seems the pick up the satellite easily even with the receiver just chucked on the dash near the wind.
It has proved its worth on 2 occasions, once when some one reversed out onto the main road in front of me the other when some old nutter came around the corner on my side of the road at break neck speed. No damage but evidence is available should I ever need it.:thumb:
So, very happy with the camera, leave it in the windscreen, fires up when I start the engine and turns off when I switch off. Take the card out when I want to back it up to the computer - easy peasy.
Thanks for the update Enery8. :Smile:

Nice one. :thumb:

Jock.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
A further post about this camera. I have noticed that it occasionally drops bits of film or reports 'bad film' (could be the micro SD card) so that is not very encouraging. Worth considering if you are looking at buying.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I have had it a few months now and am very pleased with it.
It has dual lenses but I turn off the cab view which makes the forward view wider. It has a GPS attachment which I have not yet used.
But, what I like about it is it is so simple to use. And, to play back through your computer you just take the SD card and pop it in, open and play. It is easy to find the bits you want according to date and time and the picture quality is great!
If there are any bit you want to keep from being erased (if you have a prang or film something interesting) press the orange button and it will save the previous 15 minutes.:thumb:
Mike

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.