In Van Camera

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I fancy protecting myself with an in-cab-camera and you can get them for about £20 I've seen one, more expensive but the spec on this particular camera seems to be superb, two HD lenses, knows if you've had a collision, auto starts with the van etc. It's on ebay; has anyone already got it? In Car Camera

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Let us know how you get on Jim. I could have done with one last night driving home from work. Parked cars both sides of the road and boy racer coming the other way expecting me to give way to him. It wasn't going to happen.

We both stopped, exchanged glares and then the other guy moved forward and so did I . I heard a slight noise and noticed my wing mirror was forced in and assumed we had touched mirrors.

I carried on but noticed in my mirror that boy racer was doing a u turn. He then proceeded to tailgate me. I was with my wife and he had another chav with him.

"Here we go " I thought. I carried on until I got to my daughters school and pulled in. He did the old block me in routine you see on the films.

I asked what his problem was and he said I had scraped his car. I got out and sure enough my car was scratched and so was his. he said it was my fault , I said it was his. He wanted my insurance details and I said no problem but I want yours as well.

I went back to my car to get a pen and by the time I got back he had changed his tune and said he didn't want to take it any further. I suspect he didn't have insurance.

I don't think it was my fault but I was relieved not to get beaten up to be honest.There are some right nasty pieces of work in this part of South East London. Thankfully he wasn't one of them despite what he looked like.:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thanks Jim, I missed that thread. Did you buy one in the end?

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not yet, decided against a cheapo on the basis that if ever needed as evidence they wouldn't provide enough info .. gps location etc ...

Santa has promised me a RoadHawk

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yes, two things for me, with this one definition and the autostart feature. Without a good pic quality you may as well not bother and Sods law says, the day I need it I'd have forgotten to turn it on:Doh:

7. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Greetings Jim, sounds like a good product. Have you thought of contacting them to see if you can get a Funsters discount? I am sure there would be quite a few on here would be interested. Most of us either drive slow or driven slow vehicles which have been targeted in the past by rear shunt scammers.
    Just a thought. John

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

10. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

I have the same one very happy with it and it records my French words when some tit head cut s me up

11. Dingray

Dingray

In car camera

Hi Jim,
    I can definately recomend the Roadhawk camera, It links into Google mapping and records sound, vision and map location, it also registers your speed. When I bought mine I also ordered a second mount and power cable for use in the car and M/H.
    One thing to remember is when another vehicle or pedestrian makes you brake/swerve and you automatically mutter " stupid ***** " this is also recorded so remember who or what you talk about while driving!! If I have a passenger I normally switch the sound recorder off,
    tho it can be interesting to hear what was said at a later date.
    If you go into Roadhawk website you can see a recording of an accident which proved the lorry driver was not to blame. (these recordings can be used in court)
    Ray.:thumb:

12. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

There's a good Android app if you have a decent android camera phone.
    I have a Samsung galaxy S2 paired with Samsung's own car mount. Pop the phone into the mount and it automatically switches to car mode (video cam, hands free etc).
    Records in HD and auto start.

App is called VideoReg, also has many settings e.g. displays location on mini map.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you mean the vehicle that punted a Merc car up the boot it proved he was 100% responsible.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Have you got a link to the one you use Ray?

15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

What about high temperature?

Just looking at these cameras myself and the possible problem of excessive heat near the windscreen got me wondering if this could be a factor.

Most of the details I have read on the various models do not mention working temperatures ..... the only one that does states 0 - 40 deg C (see here ) and surely the temperature can raise well above this upper level in direct sun in the summer.

Anyone got any views on this?

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Here ya go Jim.. http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/
    If you can afford it, they are without doubt the best out there :thumb:

Brian, no idea what the top temp is supposed to be mate, but mine has been in the windscreen facing the sun in Italy this year with an ambient temperature of 39C, so inside the screen proly closer to 50c++, and it was absolutely fine :thumb:

17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You need to spend around the £200 margin for a decent set-up.

£20 ones will not be that hot as they are cheap copies - and keep in mind, that most of that £20 will be shipping and profit - quality of materials are dubious!

Makes such as Esycam and Roadhawk are fine, if you want to go pro and have all round inside and out security then you will be looking at around £600 margin. That will give you a black box dvr similar to aircraft and up to 6 cameras.

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thanks, it looks good, but its too pricey for me. Gonna go with this one that I mentioned in post one:thumb:

19. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

A couple of points; 1) a very well known national company has been using a similar system for a few years now with good "preventative" results, ie stickers notifying everyone of the camera. System cost,s is excess of £1000.
    2) What is your insurers take on this, in the event of a claim, would they actually be bothered that you had a camera, if so, is there a discount as there is with alarms?
    3) Despite the rumours, are they admissable in court, and who says so?......only 2% of cctv is ever used succsessfully in court.

On the current EVIDENCE, it woud appear that a few well plced stickers would be as usefull as a system.

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Nice one Jim.. Would appreciate a report on it as that looks like a very good upgrade option to what I already have.

DL, I have NO idea if a court would take it as valid, but I speak from close experience, the police DEFINITELY do

We was on a ride out when the guy doing tail end charlie was a SMIDNSY victim

Police were called and the guy in the car that pulled out said the bike was travelling considerably faster than he should have ( 30 limit ) and he thought he would have plenty of time to pull out.. blah blah blah

Officer noticed David had a Pro-Cam mounted on the front.. He pulled the card and viewed it there and then in the police car

Went back to the car driver and nicked him on the spot for all sorts including trying to pervert the course of justice ( I guess by giving false evidence.. no idea really and no idea if it stuck )

David had a full payout, and the car drivers insurers did not contest any of the claim at all

• Like Like x 1