Importing a Hymer from Germany

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by Bellini, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I'm considering (at some point - maybe next year) buying an older Hymer S660 or S700 on a Mercedes chassis.

It seems that there really aren't many over here, so I've been looking on motor.de to see what's about. And, annoyingly, a seemingly perfect (private) example has appeared. Must resist!!!!!!

So, before I get too excited that a trip to Germany is A Good Thing (sticking to my doctrine of next year), what's involved in bringing one back and loving it over here?

There's lights, obviously. An MOT. Re-registration. But what else? Is VAT an issue? Private or dealer?

Has anyone done this before and is it really worth it?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have brought several in from Germany. If its over 10 years old then there are no problems as such. You will get the export plates in Germany which include insurance to bring it back to the UK. The seller should help with this whether private or dealer. On arrival in the UK you will have to put a rear fog light on the right hand side and change headlights to RHD. Some MOT examiners will except beam benders, some wont. Take the vehicle for MOT and then insure with the chassis number. After which you can register with the DVLA. A word of warning though, a few years ago these older S class Mercs were cheap in Germany, but good examples are now becoming rare.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bellini

Bellini Funster

That's great! Thanks. :thumb:

Agree about the rarity. But there's currently 3 or 4 for sale in Germany and none here. It's very hard not to make a phone all or two right now....

4. Snowbird

If you are looking at that chassis have a look at the RMB although the Hymer from that era was good the RMB was in a league of its own.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

I agree. There is a lovely Mercedes RMB here - not cheap though!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Ooh!!:coolthumb:

I like those rather a lot.

Thanks! Agreed, pricey, but definitely worth adding to the search.

I kind of favour a dealer sale as it should be easier, and safer, to complete the transaction.

The idea of spending a weekend motorhome viewing in Germany with a follow-up collection the weekend after really appeals right now.

7. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

8. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

one or two here:

___________-http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen/search.html?scopeId=MH&isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&lang=en&categories=Integrated&makeModelVariant1.makeId=11300&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=s700&ambitCountry=

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. herbies

herbies Read Only Funster

the one youve posted looks fab. grab it for 19.5 euro!

10. Snowbird

You have just missed one that a funster has just sold for £14990. A bargain if ever there was one. It was advertised on here.

11. Bellini

Bellini Funster

It's always the way. But it wouldn't have been the right time, in truth.

Out of interest, how is the best way to pay? Say, a private transaction in Germany, for instance.

12. Snowbird

Bank transfer is obviously the best, but I have had some that will only take cash. The original owner of my RMB although his son was a bank manager in Germany insisted on cash.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

An old thread but since my question is basically the same, no point in a duplicate thread..

Am also considering buying a second hand motorhome in Germany, probably an RMB or similar, is it really as simple as Dave said.. has anyone done it recently and did you find it easy to get an MOT ...did the examiner accept beam benders .. and was it straightforward getting it registered.. ?

Is it easier to purchase from a dealer rather than private ?

Any other advice or pointers on the process very welcome.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i would insure before the mot unless the german insurance is still in force when you get to the uk and will show on the data base

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

don't use bank as you get a poor exchange rate use a broker but one that is FSA approved! that way good rate and your money safe. buying from a dealer its a lot more straightforward. you will also probably need to change the speedo to MPH and headlights to RHD dipping thats if they cant be adjusted (some can). DVLA registration has tightened up and now hard to get away with stickers on lights

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials-for-imported-vehicles-c53.html

problem buying private in Germany is if its a nice van and a lot of interest, will probably be gone by the time you get your act together...

in reference to Jims post: the DVLA having moved to swansea, this can be a bit of a lottery. if you get your paperwork back for no reason just because they haven't looked at it properly, don't be surprised, if not - result! But I would not be booking any trips based on dvla's performance:cautious:

have done it 9 times now, last time in Feb 2014. choosing the right dealer makes all the difference to be honest, as some far more familiar with exports. some will even do all the changes for you, headlight/speedo (which you supply) fog light. meaning you can have it booked in for inspection on day you return...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Judge Mental

I just wonder as this an old 2013 thread. What did Belini end up getting....

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If I remember right he ended up with an RMB?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

RMB Silver star. I believe it is now a family heirloom. Good RMBs are getting thin on the ground nowadays. Not that many were made compared with the likes of Hymer and since the opening up of the EU, many are going to the old Eastern block which would have come to the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Judge Mental

Thanks, A new one with slide out on mobile.de...eye watering price though:)

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

thanks for the extra information.. we are still at the 'deciding' stage .. it's a moving target :rolleyes: