Importing a Hymer from Germany (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm considering (at some point - maybe next year) buying an older Hymer S660 or S700 on a Mercedes chassis.

It seems that there really aren't many over here, so I've been looking on motor.de to see what's about. And, annoyingly, a seemingly perfect (private) example has appeared. Must resist!!!!!!

So, before I get too excited that a trip to Germany is A Good Thing (sticking to my doctrine of next year), what's involved in bringing one back and loving it over here?

There's lights, obviously. An MOT. Re-registration. But what else? Is VAT an issue? Private or dealer?

Has anyone done this before and is it really worth it?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have brought several in from Germany. If its over 10 years old then there are no problems as such. You will get the export plates in Germany which include insurance to bring it back to the UK. The seller should help with this whether private or dealer. On arrival in the UK you will have to put a rear fog light on the right hand side and change headlights to RHD. Some MOT examiners will except beam benders, some wont. Take the vehicle for MOT and then insure with the chassis number. After which you can register with the DVLA. A word of warning though, a few years ago these older S class Mercs were cheap in Germany, but good examples are now becoming rare.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
That's great! Thanks. :thumb:

Agree about the rarity. But there's currently 3 or 4 for sale in Germany and none here. It's very hard not to make a phone all or two right now....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are looking at that chassis have a look at the RMB although the Hymer from that era was good the RMB was in a league of its own.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
If you are looking at that chassis have a look at the RMB although the Hymer from that era was good the RMB was in a league of its own.

I agree. There is a lovely Mercedes RMB . - not cheap though!

Cheers

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Ooh!!:coolthumb:

I like those rather a lot.

Thanks! Agreed, pricey, but definitely worth adding to the search.

I kind of favour a dealer sale as it should be easier, and safer, to complete the transaction.

The idea of spending a weekend motorhome viewing in Germany with a follow-up collection the weekend after really appeals right now.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
one or two here:

___________-http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen/search.html?scopeId=MH&isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&lang=en&categories=Integrated&makeModelVariant1.makeId=11300&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=s700&ambitCountry=

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You have just missed one that a funster has just sold for £14990. A bargain if ever there was one. It was advertised on here.

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
It's always the way. But it wouldn't have been the right time, in truth.

Out of interest, how is the best way to pay? Say, a private transaction in Germany, for instance.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bank transfer is obviously the best, but I have had some that will only take cash. The original owner of my RMB although his son was a bank manager in Germany insisted on cash.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
An old thread but since my question is basically the same, no point in a duplicate thread..

Am also considering buying a second hand motorhome in Germany, probably an RMB or similar, is it really as simple as Dave said.. has anyone done it recently and did you find it easy to get an MOT ...did the examiner accept beam benders .. and was it straightforward getting it registered.. ?

Is it easier to purchase from a dealer rather than private ?

Any other advice or pointers on the process very welcome.. :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Have brought several in from Germany. If its over 10 years old then there are no problems as such. You will get the export plates in Germany which include insurance to bring it back to the UK. The seller should help with this whether private or dealer. On arrival in the UK you will have to put a rear fog light on the right hand side and change headlights to RHD. Some MOT examiners will except beam benders, some wont. Take the vehicle for MOT and then insure with the chassis number. After which you can register with the DVLA. A word of warning though, a few years ago these older S class Mercs were cheap in Germany, but good examples are now becoming rare.
i would insure before the mot unless the german insurance is still in force when you get to the uk and will show on the data base

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
don't use bank as you get a poor exchange rate use a broker but one that is FSA approved! that way good rate and your money safe. buying from a dealer its a lot more straightforward. you will also probably need to change the speedo to MPH and headlights to RHD dipping thats if they cant be adjusted (some can). DVLA registration has tightened up and now hard to get away with stickers on lights

Broken Link Removed

problem buying private in Germany is if its a nice van and a lot of interest, will probably be gone by the time you get your act together...

in reference to Jims post: the DVLA having moved to swansea, this can be a bit of a lottery. if you get your paperwork back for no reason just because they haven't looked at it properly, don't be surprised, if not - result! But I would not be booking any trips based on dvla's performance:cautious:

have done it 9 times now, last time in Feb 2014. choosing the right dealer makes all the difference to be honest, as some far more familiar with exports. some will even do all the changes for you, headlight/speedo (which you supply) fog light. meaning you can have it booked in for inspection on day you return...

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I just wonder as this an old 2013 thread. What did Belini end up getting....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I just wonder as this an old 2013 thread. What did Belini end up getting....

RMB Silver star. I believe it is now a family heirloom. Good RMBs are getting thin on the ground nowadays. Not that many were made compared with the likes of Hymer and since the opening up of the EU, many are going to the old Eastern block which would have come to the UK.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks, A new one with slide out on mobile.de...eye watering price though:)

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
We put a deposit on a Hymer in Dortmund a few days ago, the seller is a car dealer who happened to buy in this S 520. The import process hopefully looks manageable, I will post details when its done and we have her home. We tried contacting a couple of private sellers of motorhomes, sadly one did not respond and the other did not speak English.

The guy wants payment in cash, so we are trying to find the cheapest way of buying Euro's, any suggestions ?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We are buying our new Flair from the main dealer in Dortmund, we are at the factory and then the dealer in early February. Not sure how much your deal is but HiFX, https://www.hifxonline.co.uk has worked well for me, but then I just get them to transfer into his bank, can be same day if you need too, not a wad of notes if I interpret your statement correctly. A good time now with the rate as it is.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
We are buying our new Flair from the main dealer in Dortmund, we are at the factory and then the dealer in early February. Not sure how much your deal is but HiFX, https://www.hifxonline.co.uk has worked well for me, but then I just get them to transfer into his bank, can be same day if you need too, not a wad of notes if I interpret your statement correctly. A good time now with the rate as it is.

Yes you have the gist of it, the negotiated price was for cash which I now realise is going to cost more than a bank to bank transfer. Enjoy your new Flair and if you see a broken down old Hymer on your way home, no laughing.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You are certain that his cash is notes, and not just a lost in translation "no px or credit"? If no speak with HiFX they may be able to do a deal on conversion and then cash available at a bank in Dortmund? Just a thought?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what age is it..are you getting it checked? damp surveyed?

I use these for cash rate 1.32 at moment. dont know how much is involved but would get cash delivered!

https://www.bestforeignexchange.com/index.php

bank to bank transfers expensive! Use a Broker.... last time i imported used (FSA approved - best rates at the time - early 2014) was: http://www.easyfx.com/

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Best F.E is a great tip, I only found 1.31 rates earlier today, the m/h was tuv'd in October and I checked for damp with a meter so hopefully all will be ok.

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
I don´t believe any can beat Currencyfair.co.uk which is a member to member conversion site, currently the rate is 1.3293 with a 3 quid charge for onward transfer of money. Doesn´t matter who you use there are costs, but if there is a better site that currencyfair I'd be amazed. Doesn´t get you round your problem of getting the cash out in Germany because you´ll need a recipient Euro account somewhere in Europe, for larger amount all banks over here require notice.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
image.jpg Our new acquisition is back home after a grueling 20 hour day, it would have been shorter but snow closed Luton airport for an hour on the way out, then deep joy the ferries were running late due to bad weather, other than a seller with a shitty unhelpful attitude the process was fairly simple as we had already arranged the German transit plates to get her home. The S520 went straight to the garage for a service and mot as Saga who had previously offered insurance as soon as the motorhome was here backtracked and told us they would not offer cover until it had passed an mot. Don't we all love the insurance companies NOT.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I've had a conversation with Nick Legg at Bundesvan this week re this - and TBH will use their 'turnkey' service to facilitate the purchase, importation and registration. A small price to pay to have it all done professionally without any aggro considering the savings to be had. (y)
Very helpful and informative on the phone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back