Importing a Hymer from Germany (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Best F.E is a great tip, I only found 1.31 rates earlier today, the m/h was tuv'd in October and I checked for damp with a meter so hopefully all will be ok.
Like Eddie I used Easyfx as well, I got an online rate that was very good but a quick phone call improved it by half a cent, don't ask don't get.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
View attachment 53894 Our new acquisition is back home after a grueling 20 hour day, it would have been shorter but snow closed Luton airport for an hour on the way out, then deep joy the ferries were running late due to bad weather, other than a seller with a shitty unhelpful attitude the process was fairly simple as we had already arranged the German transit plates to get her home. The S520 went straight to the garage for a service and mot as Saga who had previously offered insurance as soon as the motorhome was here backtracked and told us they would not offer cover until it had passed an mot. Don't we all love the insurance companies NOT.
When I was ringing round to get cover on a VIN plate Saga said they would cover the van providing the wheels didn't touch the ground, I didn't think the aerodynamics were good enough to fly it back from Dover so I didn't bother with them. :D

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
@paintman interested in the process please keep us up to date with ref to registering etc. also what are transit plates? what did you do for insurance back to Britain?

Hi Mick, you can buy German transit plates at the local vehicle office in every town, if you buy from a dealer they will normally arrange this, if you buy privately perhaps the seller would take you to the office and guide you through the process, in our case the garage got them for us, now from my research I expected red ends on the number plate, (which include 5 days insurance) but in the event as you will see from the photo the ends were yellow which may mean we had no insurance on the way home (Wikipedia explanation) although the seller assured me the plates were correct for export.
In the event it was -2 in Dortmund on Thursday and we had already been delayed by snow so we hi tailed it to Calais and then home. I have a motor traders insurance policy for my work which might have covered me if we had a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
I've had a conversation with Nick Legg at Bundesvan this week re this - and TBH will use their 'turnkey' service to facilitate the purchase, importation and registration. A small price to pay to have it all done professionally without any aggro considering the savings to be had. (y)
Very helpful and informative on the phone.

I am sure they are but if we had used them we would have missed out on a 20 hour, weather delayed, freezing cold, adventure, which I wouldn't change for all the tea in China, it's our first m/h and that day will be a fantastic memory.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
When I was ringing round to get cover on a VIN plate Saga said they would cover the van providing the wheels didn't touch the ground, I didn't think the aerodynamics were good enough to fly it back from Dover so I didn't bother with them. :D

Yep they may have lost our business as well.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
When I brought my latest van back from Germany last Oct.
5 days insurance €37 Export plate €20 including tag.
Spoke with Darren at AIB re UK insurance on vin number ,no probs once it is in this country, but no road cover until it is registered on UK plates ,and informed that this was normal to all UK insurance ,so possible this is what Saga meant .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
First van I brought back I insured with Scenic, present one with NFU, both covered driving home from the port & to take the van for necessary inspection.
Used NFU on the present van as they would cover for 30 days & no cancelation charge. Once registered cancelled and went back to Comfort as they were half the price.

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
NFU are a great insurer they were the only company I could find that would offer cover when we were planning a trip that involved travel in non E U countries, just a tad pricy sadly, but you get what you pays for I guess.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When I brought my latest van back from Germany last Oct.
5 days insurance €37 Export plate €20 including tag.
Spoke with Darren at AIB re UK insurance on vin number ,no probs once it is in this country, but no road cover until it is registered on UK plates ,and informed that this was normal to all UK insurance ,so possible this is what Saga meant .
NFU are a great insurer they were the only company I could find that would offer cover when we were planning a trip that involved travel in non E U countries, just a tad pricy sadly, but you get what you pays for I guess.
I went with them (NFU Louth) for my RV, just passed test for HGV, they gave me cover at a rate that was better than the professional lorry driver who I bought from. Since then I have moved our 2 cars to them at a rate that encouraged me to move. They have confirmed that they will insure my new Flair on VIN from the dealer in germany fully comp from the minute I take ownership. I think insurance is about the risk for those who struggle?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Dealer I and others use offers full comp 5 days export plates...they export a lot and arranged it with their insurers. So it is possible if they have a mind to.....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
NFU piled on the premium every year, when it came up for renewal, so we ditched them in favour of Comfort, whose premiums have only risen by less than a tenner a year. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Interesting, I have found the opposite, my RV element went down. A post code lottery perhaps?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've found the same with Comfort and the A Class is cheaper than the low profile we had, prices for the Exsis NFU 530, Comfort 252.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Interesting, I have found the opposite, my RV element went down. A post code lottery perhaps?

Yes I had a ridiculous quote from them probably because we live in London. We stick with Safeguard. NFU used to be good years back but later on refused to cover due to post code

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If you are looking at the older Hymer S class take a good look for cracks in the body skin at window edges, particularly on the N/S by the fridge outlet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back