Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
upload_2016-4-24_16-51-22.png

Good job I'm not getting any, living around 200m from the beach that would be a real pain in the ar*e, also a bit difficult when visiting daughter in Thailand for 4 or 5 weeks.:D

Why would they put that in the instructions if the legs are stainless?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Reading through the manual on the website I had the impression that you could release the handbrake once the ignition was off.

Some vehicles have swivel chairs that do not function when the hand brake is engaged. As soon as the levelling system is finished and the ignition switch is off, you are able to disengage the hand- brake. Before doing that, you must of course check if the car is in gear.

Are you saying Andy that this doesn't happen or haven't you tried it yet?

Richard.
It also says on page 15
REMARK: Depending on how the system is connected, all jacks are retracting also when the parkbrake is released or the ignition is switched on.

Notice it says OR not AND

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think either way you might find that only one click on the handbrake will bring up the warning light on the dash.
I have a rarespares handbrake so no problem for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The reality is that the legs can't retract quickly enough if you release the handbrake with legs still down. In addition, the EP levelling won't function without the engine running. All the legs don't retract simultaneously from experience, since the hydraulic fluid has to pump to the four corners of the vehicle, so there is a slight lag.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think either way you might find that only one click on the handbrake will bring up the warning light on the dash.
I have a rarespares handbrake so no problem for me
No problem for me either
I leave the remote control for the jacks by the speedo as a reminder to re apply the brake, before turning on the ignition

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it will operate without the engine running, only has to have the ignition on to deploy. It is only recommended to have it running

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ours requires the engine to be running - double fail safe. Thats because our air assisted handbrake only works when the engine is running.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
No problem for me either
I leave the remote control for the jacks by the speedo as a reminder to re apply the brake, before turning on the ignition
Don't mean to interrupt this love fest of levellers but where are the Tuscan photos of food and lovely buildings today!? Please!:LOL:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Do you think you may have compromised your E&P warranty by spraying galvanised paint on the legs?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Ours requires the engine to be running - double fail safe. Thats because our air assisted handbrake only works when the engine is running.
Mine was commissioned without it running. I got it outside and played with it a bit and then found it would not start and Mick had to jump it for me.
I haven't seen it in the manual where it says you must start the engine?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do you think you may have compromised your E&P warranty by spraying galvanised paint on the legs?
Who me? I haven't sprayed anything. They coat it with stone guard
Matt black I'd say?
image-jpeg.102510

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mine was commissioned without it running. I got it outside and played with it a bit and then found it would not start and Mick had to jump it for me.
I haven't seen it in the manual where it says you must start the engine?
It refers to engine running for calibration, I just have ignition on for that.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The E&P Hydraulics levelsystem (continued) 1.2 Using the levelsystem

• Park the camper on a surface that is as level as possible.
• The HAND BRAKE of the vehicle must be engaged.
• The transmission must be in a neutral position or in the parking position.
• When the levelling system is operating, persons or animals are not allowed in the vehicle. • The ignition of the vehicle must be switched on.

Nowhere does it say it must be started

Here it is recommending engine running

4. Operating the levelsystem 4.1 Automatic levelling

Before starting the automatic levelling procedure: Make sure that the vehicle’s parking brake is engaged, the engine is running (the ignition is on). Also note that everyone has exited the vehicle, including yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess it just depends how the fitter wires it, I am sure ours has to be running so must come off the alternator D+ rather than just an ignition on +ve.

I will try it next week without the engine running though just to be sure I am not talking rubbish.

Again.

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The hydraulic levelsystem does not work

Possible causes

● The ignition of the vehicle is not on

● The parking brake is not engaged

● The control panel switched itself off (4 minute rule)

Solution(s)

● Switch on the ignition
● Engage the parking brake
● Press button ON / OFF (no. 5)

User manual

Troubleshooting (continued)
The indicator LED“BATTERY” lights up

Possible causes

● The battery is almost empty

E&P HYDRAULICS

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
5.3.2 Programming the VB air suspension system (when installed)
Ensure the vehicle stands in a position as level as possible. Make sure that the vehicle’s parkingbrake is engaged, the engine is running (the ignition is on) and the vehicle is levelled FIRST by means of the automatic or manual procedure.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Andy I should have said that the requirement of ign on was only relative to calibration when air suspension is linked. Basic ep systems do not need this so you are right I suppose.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we have had a quite a few attempts to deploy our jacks where they fail, due to 'uneven ground', I don't fully understand that message and the ground is often not that far out of level when we have had issues

It was worrying / annoying early on but I have now found that we can deploy the jacks in manual option and overcome the 'problem', just odd that the auto option wouldn't allow what turns out to be OK o_O

we do love ours though, very easy levelling and totally stable when moving around or when windy, possibly more of an issue with the Mercedes Hymer wheels being quite a long way inset relative to body width
We had that issue at the Peterborough show ,wifey got upset as she thought that they were not working properly ,I told her that they probably needed to be properly set up on the zero, I set them manually

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The reality is that the legs can't retract quickly enough if you release the handbrake with legs still down. In addition, the EP levelling won't function without the engine running. All the legs don't retract simultaneously from experience, since the hydraulic fluid has to pump to the four corners of the vehicle, so there is a slight lag.
I feel that the legs add a little extra security and will slow down a thief

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had that issue at the Peterborough show ,wifey got upset as she thought that they were not working properly ,I told her that they probably needed to be properly set up on the zero, I set them manually

I got upset early on, then found that manual is as easy, and as Mick (SAP) has told me since it doesn't lift as high, which is also useful for not lifting step too far off the ground

It is really odd how it seems to decide when it is too far out of level, we have zeroed ours and it didn't make any difference

Still a good bit of kit though, but I will persist with the auto option to see how it goes

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say I use Auto at least 90% of the time and they work fine, the ability of the system to level depends on the amount of ram travel that you have, our van might have longer rams than say @DavidG58 's Merc based Hymer as we have a deeper chassis and a lot of space underneath, Andy's van has double acting rams so again will have plenty of stroke.

Martin

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I would ring them and ask for their website price. :mad:

Postage should make no difference - still weigh the same. ;)

EBay is often more expensive than sourcing direct. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back