How long does your shower stay hot??

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Trikeman, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    a weird one this - Truma Ultrastore, works really well for hot water in the sink, in fact REALLY HOT.

However, in the shower it is initially hot but then reverts to cold again, about 8 seconds of hot (well warm) water is the record.... I am getting grief now, big time from my dear Wife who prefers the MH shower rather than plodding around the campsite in her pre-shower state - I say frightening everyone,,,,,, but don't let her hear me say that.:Laughing:

How long does your warm shower last??? :Blush:

Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

what you need is a instantaneous water heater . far better than them modern things .
    cant help you on your truma though or is it trauma .
    plus you might require a catalytic room heater as well . ha ha
    not all new ideas are great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phill D

Phill D

i'd check the pipe runs to your shower tap first than if it a single mixer tap ( most likely ) i check the the balance of water from hot and cold are about the same; i.e. sounds your getting cold water overriding the hot supply :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Concord Pilot

Concord Pilot Funster

Its 6 gallons of hot water ... use as quickly or as long as you like !!! Cheers Rob

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

You may well have a kinked (or partially blocked) hot supply pipe to the shower which would give an uneven mix.

6. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

A lot longer than 8 seconds,,,,, if it's ok at the sink I would guess there could be a problem with the shower mixer. we normally flick the gas on with the electric as the water gets hotter quicker, but we do use the get wet, get soaped & rinse off method but using this method I don't have to worry about the water going cold and tend to have a good soaking,

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Sounds to me like you are not running it long enough for the truely hot to reach the shower. Try running it longer on HOT only then adjust the hot/cold mix

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well on ours we have two setting 50C and 75C on the 10 lt tank. When set to 75C we can both have a show and there is still hot water left. Check that you have it set to 75C and not 50C...... and that you have allowed it time to heat the water, about 15/20 minutes from cold I think.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Phill D

Phill D

its a bit of squeeze in our shower with two of us:Doh: sorry :RollEyes: could not resist:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  10. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

On EHU ours is preset to 60 degrees and we get 2 seperate showers alright if there are 3 or more I use gas & elec and can get 70 degrees so I would agree with others that there may be a problem with the mixer tap

11. Trikeman

Hi All,
    thanks for getting back - some good recommendations there....

Ah, now it's all coming out :Doh: - Now I have asked my dear Wife to explain (whilst looking around in the dark here) she has now explained to me that in fact on electric the shower is great, plenty of hot water, however when she switched it on gas that's when the problem arose..... Why can't my life be simple, aye?:Laughing:

I have now checked it out on gas and that seems to be the issue, the heating source and not so much the 'tap' end - Oh, Lordy!

I now see what she is banging on about - switch the Truma on gas, green light comes on the dial (yep the outer cover is off) then within a few minutes the little red light comes on as well, indicating a problem somewhere. So, My investigations have now taken a different direction, but it's getting frigging windy down here in North Somerset now.

Lord knows what this issue is but I will have to have a look once the wind goes away tomorrow evening, but you know what it's like - that's all I'll be thinking about all night now, that and will a roof tile fly off and hit my pride and joy.:Eeek:

Ideas?????

Thanks,

12. Phill D

Phill D

have you taken the outside cover off the gas vent? :Blush:

not sure what type of heating / hot water system you have , i.e. combi or separate heater and boiler

13. bailey

bailey

We get hot showers no problem, one after the other

Bill

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have now checked it out on gas and that seems to be the issue, the heating source and not so much the 'tap' end - Oh, Lordy!

I now see what she is banging on about - switch the Truma on gas, green light comes on the dial (yep the outer cover is off) then within a few minutes the little red light comes on as well, indicating a problem somewhere. So, My investigations have now taken a different direction, but it's getting frigging windy down here in North Somerset now.

Ideas?????

Thanks,

Trikeman.:Wink:[/QUOTE]

I am fairly sure a red light means you have no gas, or at least no gas getting to the water heater

Good luck, but why are you using gas if you have electrics??

David

15. Trikeman

Hi Phil,

yep, outer cover is off - always used the electric for water heating and all OK Wife says, but this was the first time she tried it on gas. Its a Truma Thermastore, boiler only system (heating is a separate unit).

Turn on the gas via rotary switch (supply tap to boiler is on), green light comes on, hear a click from the boiler area and heat comes out of the external vent for a while. Then (a few minutes later) another click and the little red light comes on the rotary switch and no more heat from the external vent, it seems to switch off after a few minutes.:Angry:

Regards,

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phill D

Phill D

then your getting gas to the boiler as this would not happen if you were not. a simple thought,,, you need gas and air to maintain a flame, your flue will be a balanced air type check there is no blockage ( spiders webs, dead mice :Rofl1: ) in the outer part of the vent.
    i have read that this type of thing does happen.

17. Trikeman

I am fairly sure a red light means you have no gas, or at least no gas getting to the water heater

Good luck, but why are you using gas if you have electrics??

David[/QUOTE]

Hi David,
    Thanks for the input.
    Plenty of gas and the tap nearest the boiler is on, initially suspected gas supply but all is 'visually' OK there, in fact it fires up and heat comes from the vent, it just knocks itself off after a few minutes.
    Not too sure why Wife tried it on gas, she was reading a book on the van the night before - a little knowledge and all that, I'm glad we still have our MH in one piece.
    Yes, we could go on solely using the electric water heater, but now I know we may have an issue with the gas I will have to sort.

Regards,

18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Sounds like a dodgy gas valve to me. Sometimes they stick if not used for sometime. I have the same problem on the high setting of my gas blown air Truma. The low setting works fine, but because the low setting is the only one that has ever been used the high setting valve has stuck.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

If I have a really long shower (5 mins) then Mrs A has a shower, it usually goes cold just as she starts to rinse her hair ......
    So, about 8 or 9 minutes......:BigGrin:
    Allan

20. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

sounds like the thermocouple has packed up, it senses the heat from the flame and keeps the gas supply relay open after the initial start up( when you here the igniter ticking) , if it isn't sensing the heat/flame it shuts the relay on the gas supply cutting of the gas.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 3