How long does your shower stay hot?? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
a weird one this - Truma Ultrastore, works really well for hot water in the sink, in fact REALLY HOT.

However, in the shower it is initially hot but then reverts to cold again, about 8 seconds of hot (well warm) water is the record.... I am getting grief now, big time from my dear Wife who prefers the MH shower rather than plodding around the campsite in her pre-shower state - I say frightening everyone,,,,,, but don't let her hear me say that.:roflmto:

How long does your warm shower last??? :Blush:

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you need is a instantaneous water heater . far better than them modern things .
cant help you on your truma though or is it trauma .
plus you might require a catalytic room heater as well . ha ha
not all new ideas are great.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i'd check the pipe runs to your shower tap first than if it a single mixer tap ( most likely ) i check the the balance of water from hot and cold are about the same; i.e. sounds your getting cold water overriding the hot supply :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
A lot longer than 8 seconds,,,,, if it's ok at the sink I would guess there could be a problem with the shower mixer. we normally flick the gas on with the electric as the water gets hotter quicker, but we do use the get wet, get soaped & rinse off method but using this method I don't have to worry about the water going cold and tend to have a good soaking,

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sounds to me like you are not running it long enough for the truely hot to reach the shower. Try running it longer on HOT only then adjust the hot/cold mix

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well on ours we have two setting 50C and 75C on the 10 lt tank. When set to 75C we can both have a show and there is still hot water left. Check that you have it set to 75C and not 50C...... and that you have allowed it time to heat the water, about 15/20 minutes from cold I think.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Well on ours we have two setting 50C and 75C on the 10 lt tank. When set to 75C [HI]we can both have a show and there is still hot water left.[/HI] Check that you have it set to 75C and not 50C...... and that you have allowed it time to heat the water, about 15/20 minutes from cold I think.

its a bit of squeeze in our shower with two of us:Doh: sorry :RollEyes: could not resist:winky:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
On EHU ours is preset to 60 degrees and we get 2 seperate showers alright if there are 3 or more I use gas & elec and can get 70 degrees so I would agree with others that there may be a problem with the mixer tap

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
thanks for getting back - some good recommendations there....

Ah, now it's all coming out :Doh: - Now I have asked my dear Wife to explain (whilst looking around in the dark here) she has now explained to me that in fact on electric the shower is great, plenty of hot water, however when she switched it on gas that's when the problem arose..... Why can't my life be simple, aye?:roflmto:

I have now checked it out on gas and that seems to be the issue, the heating source and not so much the 'tap' end - Oh, Lordy!

I now see what she is banging on about - switch the Truma on gas, green light comes on the dial (yep the outer cover is off) then within a few minutes the little red light comes on as well, indicating a problem somewhere. So, My investigations have now taken a different direction, but it's getting frigging windy down here in North Somerset now.

Lord knows what this issue is but I will have to have a look once the wind goes away tomorrow evening, but you know what it's like - that's all I'll be thinking about all night now, that and will a roof tile fly off and hit my pride and joy.:Eeek:

Ideas?????

Thanks,

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
have you taken the outside cover off the gas vent? :Blush:

not sure what type of heating / hot water system you have , i.e. combi or separate heater and boiler

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi All,
a weird one this - Truma Ultrastore, works really well for hot water in the sink, in fact REALLY HOT.

However, in the shower it is initially hot but then reverts to cold again, about 8 seconds of hot (well warm) water is the record.... I am getting grief now, big time from my dear Wife who prefers the MH shower rather than plodding around the campsite in her pre-shower state - I say frightening everyone,,,,,, but don't let her hear me say that.:roflmto:

How long does your warm shower last??? :Blush:

Regards,

We get hot showers no problem, one after the other

Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have now checked it out on gas and that seems to be the issue, the heating source and not so much the 'tap' end - Oh, Lordy!

I now see what she is banging on about - switch the Truma on gas, green light comes on the dial (yep the outer cover is off) then within a few minutes the little red light comes on as well, indicating a problem somewhere. So, My investigations have now taken a different direction, but it's getting frigging windy down here in North Somerset now.

Ideas?????

Thanks,

Trikeman.:winky:[/QUOTE]

I am fairly sure a red light means you have no gas, or at least no gas getting to the water heater

Good luck, but why are you using gas if you have electrics??

David

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
have you taken the outside cover off the gas vent? :Blush:

not sure what type of heating / hot water system you have , i.e. combi or separate heater and boiler

Hi Phil,

yep, outer cover is off - always used the electric for water heating and all OK Wife says, but this was the first time she tried it on gas. Its a Truma Thermastore, boiler only system (heating is a separate unit).

Turn on the gas via rotary switch (supply tap to boiler is on), green light comes on, hear a click from the boiler area and heat comes out of the external vent for a while. Then (a few minutes later) another click and the little red light comes on the rotary switch and no more heat from the external vent, it seems to switch off after a few minutes.:Angry:

Regards,

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Phil,

yep, outer cover is off - always used the electric for water heating and all OK Wife says, but this was the first time she tried it on gas. Its a Truma Thermastore, boiler only system (heating is a separate unit).

Turn on the gas via rotary switch (supply tap to boiler is on), green light comes on, hear a click from the boiler area [HI]and heat comes out of the external vent for a while[/HI]. Then (a few minutes later) another click and the little red light comes on the rotary switch and no more heat from the external vent, it seems to switch off after a few minutes.:Angry:

Regards,

then your getting gas to the boiler as this would not happen if you were not. a simple thought,,, you need gas and air to maintain a flame, your flue will be a balanced air type check there is no blockage ( spiders webs, dead mice :ROFLMAO: ) in the outer part of the vent.
i have read that this type of thing does happen.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I am fairly sure a red light means you have no gas, or at least no gas getting to the water heater

Good luck, but why are you using gas if you have electrics??

David[/QUOTE]

Hi David,
Thanks for the input.
Plenty of gas and the tap nearest the boiler is on, initially suspected gas supply but all is 'visually' OK there, in fact it fires up and heat comes from the vent, it just knocks itself off after a few minutes.
Not too sure why Wife tried it on gas, she was reading a book on the van the night before - a little knowledge and all that, I'm glad we still have our MH in one piece.
Yes, we could go on solely using the electric water heater, but now I know we may have an issue with the gas I will have to sort.

Regards,

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Phil,

Turn on the gas via rotary switch (supply tap to boiler is on), green light comes on, hear a click from the boiler area and heat comes out of the external vent for a while. Then (a few minutes later) another click and the little red light comes on the rotary switch and no more heat from the external vent, it seems to switch off after a few minutes.:Angry:

Regards,

Sounds like a dodgy gas valve to me. Sometimes they stick if not used for sometime. I have the same problem on the high setting of my gas blown air Truma. The low setting works fine, but because the low setting is the only one that has ever been used the high setting valve has stuck.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If I have a really long shower (5 mins) then Mrs A has a shower, it usually goes cold just as she starts to rinse her hair ......
So, about 8 or 9 minutes......::bigsmile:
Allan

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
sounds like the thermocouple has packed up, it senses the heat from the flame and keeps the gas supply relay open after the initial start up( when you here the igniter ticking) , if it isn't sensing the heat/flame it shuts the relay on the gas supply cutting of the gas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
then your getting gas to the boiler as this would not happen if you were not. a simple thought,,, you need gas and air to maintain a flame, your flue will be a balanced air type check there is no blockage ( spiders webs, dead mice :ROFLMAO: ) in the outer part of the vent.
i have read that this type of thing does happen.

MICE :Eeek: ,,,,,,,,, would I not smell something 'cooking'?? I could just imagine the Wife in the shower and a mouse 'pops' out - sacre blur, there'd be no sides left on the van here, and for sure it would be all my fault.

Sorry, yes have now seen little snippets of these 'issues' on fault diagnostics notes so will check out. Cobwebs, that's interesting as we had a right flap on the other night......

I put the van into reverse (in the dark) and my wife asked how does the reverse camera work in the dark as she looked into the screen, I tried to explain the infrared AGHHHHHHHHH - suddenly the spider from hell walked out and must have walked over the lens with the infrared on - YAHOO, she kicked off straight away with screams of "the biggest spider in the world is on the back of our van" :roflmto: It did look big though.

Regards,

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Try getting yourself a trigger Shower Head, adjust your water temp. using the Trigger, Soak yourself, Trigger off, soap, lather, Rinse using Trigger, DON'T!!! DON'T!!! Get in there and think you are at home, No my friend you do not have an endless warm water supply!:Doh:
SOAK
SOAP LATHER
RINSE
FINETO COMPLETTO!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
MICE :Eeek: ,,,,,,,,, would I not smell something 'cooking'?? I could just imagine the Wife in the shower and a mouse 'pops' out - sacre blur, there'd be no sides left on the van here, and for sure it would be all my fault.

Sorry, yes have now seen little snippets of these 'issues' on fault diagnostics notes so will check out. Cobwebs, that's interesting as we had a right flap on the other night......

I put the van into reverse (in the dark) and my wife asked how does it work in the dark as she looked into the screen, I tried to explain the infrared AGHHHHHHHHH - suddenly the spider from hell walked out and must have walked over the lens with the infrared on - YAHOO, she kicked off straight away with screams of "the biggest spider in the world is on the back of our van" :roflmto: It did look big though.

Regards,

your lucky it did not cary the van off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I had the same problem after I bought our MH as it had never been used on gas and I just kept on switching the gas on but not actually using the water and eventually stayed on and have no problems since then

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Enough to get in shower, get wet . Turn off and lather hair. Rinse hair. Turn off and put conditioner on. Wash body then rinse hair and body. Usually hot still when finished.
Lin

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If the heater fires for so long then goes out it is most likely the ionisation probe dirty or out of adjustment or the cicuit on the main board that the probe goes to the board is not seeing the flame lit signal then it shuts the main burner down thinking it has not lit the ionisiation probe will show anything from 4 micro amps to 10 micro amps when the flame is lit dont know wether this wiil help

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All,
thanks for getting back - some good recommendations there....

Ah, now it's all coming out :Doh: - Now I have asked my dear Wife to explain (whilst looking around in the dark here) she has now explained to me that in fact on electric the shower is great, plenty of hot water, however when she switched it on gas that's when the problem arose..... Why can't my life be simple, aye?:roflmto:

Lord knows what this issue is but I will have to have a look once the wind goes away tomorrow evening, but you know what it's like - that's all I'll be thinking about all night now, that and will a roof tile fly off and hit my pride and joy.:Eeek:

Ideas?????

Thanks,

Had the same problem, if it is not the thermocoupler it could be the same problem as our Truma - a crashed circuit board. You will not be able to diagnose this yourself so it will mean sending the circuit board to Truma who will test it for you and supply a replacement at a PRICE.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back