How do LV do it (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you have an A class van just check the limit amount on the windscreen.. I can lower my insurance but the cover has a £1500 limit. not really enough for one of those big screens from what I have read.
We have LV and screen cover is not limited😊👍

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
It was the contents cover that I was not happy about. They appear to allow a reasonable amount for caravans but next to nothing for motorhomes. That was 5/6 years ago so perhaps things have changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We are with LV arranged through AIB, our windscreen cover is limited to £600 but I am now concerned that we are only covered TPFT when abroad as a lot of other companies are doing this. I will phone them Monday and check and update. Does anyone else know if this is correct

ROCHESB

Free Member
Mar 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
According to the LV policy document I have for our car & motorhome (insured directly with LV not through a broker/agent) it says:

Where am I covered?

✔️ Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

✔️ When driving in EU countries and those following EU Directives, if a green card has been issued you'll have the same level of cover as you have in the UK for up to 180 days per policy year provided your car is registered and normally kept in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
eventuality got a price from lv for my c1 toad ,,£192 ,,the said the a frame would be classed as a body modification ,,,saga still cheaper at £184 ,,

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If you have an A class van just check the limit amount on the windscreen.. I can lower my insurance but the cover has a £1500 limit. not really enough for one of those big screens from what I have read.
Did you see Greg Wallace in visit the factory this week, all about building new Electric buses. Amazing and the bit about making the windscreen was a real eye opener. I’m not surprised they cost the Earth.On bbc catch up tv.
Phil

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
I did try to get a quote but conversation became strange. I mentioned it was LHD. she asked “is it an import” I said the dealer naturally had imported it as it is German but it wasn’t a personal import. She said we do not insure imports but she would talk to underwriters. On hold for a few minutes. Answer - We do not insure LHDs so that was the end of that. I’m still not sure if I was just unlucky with the agent I got or LV has an unusual understanding of Moho insurance generally. My car is a VW so I don’t think Ill ask for a quote on that. it might lead to a long “import or not” conversation.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did you see Greg Wallace in visit the factory this week, all about building new Electric buses. Amazing and the bit about making the windscreen was a real eye opener. I’m not surprised they cost the Earth.On bbc catch up tv.
Phil

Yes. We watched that 👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did try to get a quote but conversation became strange. I mentioned it was LHD. she asked “is it an import” I said the dealer naturally had imported it as it is German but it wasn’t a personal import. She said we do not insure imports but she would talk to underwriters. On hold for a few minutes. Answer - We do not insure LHDs so that was the end of that. I’m still not sure if I was just unlucky with the agent I got or LV has an unusual understanding of Moho insurance generally. My car is a VW so I don’t think Ill ask for a quote on that. it might lead to a long “import or not” conversation.
Perhaps you could just had said no as it's not a personal import which is what they ask the question for, you wouldn't have had any issues then.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Perhaps you could just had said no as it's not a personal import which is what they ask the question for, you wouldn't have had any issues then.
I think I mentioned in my above post that I did tell her that. Didn’t seem to make much difference. Her checklist probably mentioned “import” and she was unaware of the difference between personal and dealership process. I think the only real issue is their underwriters refusal to insure LHD. Another odd thing was that one of the first questions was my driving licence no. Not been asked that in reference to an insurance quote before. The whole process was difficult.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's that time of year... RENEWAL..

email off Comfort (current insurers) £418 inc breakdown cover

So tried the LV website, waste of time as does not recognise the registration and when confirmed manually it does not give my van's year of manufacture.. Phone call made and all details passed over. I already have my car with them so they started to quote on this multicover stuff.
Asked them to quote on a full year £272.52 inc breakdown.. Had the email so thats confirmed.
Did ask about windscreen over and said no limit but was spouting off all these excess figues..

Got 10 days to study it all before making a decision.. Going to phone Comfort and see what they say.. :whistle2:

** Edit.. From the email quote and to add to above questions in the thread.
Windscreen claim is £140 excess
Contents cover is £1000.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just had our windscreen replaced on A class with LV= £95 excess and £9999 cover for screen👍😊

Good to know... I guess they have increased the excess.
Out of interest (and to save me trawling the forum) who do they use for underwriting ? is it Aviva / Allianz??

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good to know... I guess they have increased the excess.
Out of interest (and to save me trawling the forum) who do they use for underwriting ? is it Aviva / Allianz??
Can’t find any reference to underwriters on my docs only LV general insurance direct🤔

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think they are owned by Aviva

From the website Lee.. (y)

"In 2017 we became the LV= General Insurance Group (LVGIG) and announced a Strategic Partnership with Allianz Holdings PLC which completed in December 2019. Allianz are now our sole shareholder and we have separated from the Friendly Society."

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
** Edit.. From the email quote and to add to above questions in the thread.
Windscreen claim is £140 excess
Contents cover is £1000.
The normal excess we have with Comfort is £200, can't remember the windscreen one but I think it around £75 for replacement, £0 for repair. As for contents, Comfort give a lot more cover and as a forumite found out he was way under insured when he had to make a claim on his policy, can't remember who he was with.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just tried an on-line request - they won't give me a quote! This also happened with a comparison site, think it may be to do with the storage postcode as I had a fight with Comfort some years ago about it.
Might try ringing them later.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just tried an on-line request - they won't give me a quote! This also happened with a comparison site, think it may be to do with the storage postcode as I had a fight with Comfort some years ago about it.
Might try ringing them later.

The website is a waste, the lady I spoke to agreed with me and said it's best to phone.. old school 👍😁

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Having a friend who has a large recovery business, he says for breakdown recovery, they are one of the best.

Apr 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Arto 88
Looking around now for our new Carthago when it arrives. Seems LV have a very broad brush when it comes to motorhomes, classifying them under a "motorcaravan" umbrella. Only vehicle make and engine size. Quoted me a basic price of £211. Breakdown (UK and EU) was another £110. I was told no limits on windscreen cover. I was very surprised that they didn't want to know the value of the MH and didn't ask for any alarm or tracker. Seems too good to be true! Not tried any other insurers yet as this thread was fresh in my mind!
I had this same concern that the quote was so cheap compared to comparators and that they hadn’t asked about the value. When I phoned them back to double check the full value £150k + was definitely covered they said no they couldn’t insure a MH of that value - so be very careful that the cover is sufficient for the value of your MH. As others have said they just work off the base vehicle!

Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
I spoke to LV last week to swap over my car insurance to a new car and as we have policies with them already I thought I would ask about insurance for the MH which is currently with Adrian Flux. I was told categorically that LV will not take on any new MH policies moving forward.

I asked about existing MH customers and was told they would be ok for now but that LV were currently reviewing MH policies generally and that by this time next year they may not cover any MH whether for existing or new customers.

Anyone else been given the above position when calling LV?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I had this same concern that the quote was so cheap compared to comparators and that they hadn’t asked about the value. When I phoned them back to double check the full value £150k + was definitely covered they said no they couldn’t insure a MH of that value - so be very careful that the cover is sufficient for the value of your MH. As others have said they just work off the base vehicle!
I wonder how many on this forum have motorhomes of similar value insured with LV?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
I’ve just had a quote off them for a high value motorhome (£180,000). They’ve quoted £245 fully comp. Value of motorhome was not asked for. Neither was the presence of a tracker or alarm. As mentioned earlier, they seem to generically describe motorhomes with just the make of the base vehicle specified.

That all concerns me a bit, hence I did a search on here for Funsters’ experiences.

After using the website I called and spoke to a lady who put me on hold to speak with the underwriters. She returned to me and said the value is covered, the windscreen is covered (apart from excess), and they don’t specifically note the engine size, whether it’s diesel or petrol, automatic or manual.

I’d like some reassurance in writing before I proceed, so I’ve sent an email. I’ll update with a response if I get one.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
LV are even better value if you are a member of Boundless. Plus you then get all the other associated benefits including Motor Legal Expenses at no additional cost, and a very substantial discount on breakdown cover which will cover most MH's here and abroad. PM me if you want an intro.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A couple or so years ago, LV= acquired Legal & General's insurance arm (not the whole of L&G plc Group). We happened to have our house insured with L&G at the time, and so by default became LV= customers. At the first renewal with them, the premium reduced significantly from what we'd been paying previously. On the one hand, pleasantly surprised, but on the other, felt the need to do a bit of due diligence. Couldn't find any problems in the small print and discovered value of cover provided increased as well. Win-Win. :giggle:

Fast forward to this May when my Jag XE insurance with SwiftCover was up for renewal. For a year or two I'd been paying a very reasonable circa £175, but suddenly for no reason they wanted about 35% more! So, without much expectation of success, I thought it was still worth casting around...

Of course when it came to checking with LV= they were offering me a multi policy discount because of the existing house insurance. The upshot was, they quoted £161 fully comp (2 drivers) for what is a reasonably powerful executive motor. I was amazed, especially because details in the small print were again more advantageous than the old policy.

Mrs mikebeaches' car is up for renewal with Swiftcover in about 7 weeks, so intend to see what LV= can offer? :unsure:

But I haven't attempted to insure the van with them... Yet! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back