Having bad bad thoughts about the dark side , let me explain. ...... (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Started with a caravan and in no rush to go back, I can see how it works for some people especially those who need a car for getting about while away or those who stay mostly on sites for longer than a couple of days.

Martin

I don't get the " longer than a couple of days " thing , I can't imagine it takes an age to set up / dismantle a caravan set up .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Spurious argument? I wouldn't keep a motorhome/ caravan / car for that length of time . Technology moves at too beautiful a pace to put up with old tech .
May be spurious to you but I have considered a newer Moho but haven't found one to beat the one I've got.
You may not keep a vehicle that long but I object to being called a liar or giving false reports.
I put the reply on in good faith and honesty and it's my experience not lies.
Screenshot_20170317-222306.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Spurious argument? I wouldn't keep a motorhome/ caravan / car for that length of time . Technology moves at too beautiful a pace to put up with old tech .
So @Adbt, can you explain why you think I suggested a spurious argument

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I don't get the " longer than a couple of days " thing , I can't imagine it takes an age to set up / dismantle a caravan set up .
No it doesn't its only water that takes longer but your new caravans have built in water tank

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
We tended to stay in 1 place for a week or more so decided to go for the extra comfort .Plus we used to tow a car as well which when you think about it you may as well have a caravan and a car

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp

Your line of reasoning appeared apparent to you but appeared not actually valid to me , in my opinion therefore it was spurious .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might just be the way we caravanned but we used to put an awning up, small one for a weekend and full one for any more so that meant that there was a bit of work involved in setting up and getting sorted great when it was done though as there was a place for table and chairs and bikes etc BUT the downside was that once settled we didn't want to move. With the motorhome everything gets put away in the garage at night and we are ready to go in a few minutes.

I remember being on a site in France and we had ridden all directions and really it was time to pack up and move down the road for some new cycle routes but we couldn't be bother to pack up so sat and discussed the other options for doing what we were doing and motorhomes came up in the general discussion.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No it doesn't its only water that takes longer but your new caravans have built in water tank

And unhitching and jacks and levelling ramps and waste container and the awning if you have one.

Martin

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

We have just traded in our 13 year old caravan our last one was 15 years old

Why keep them for so long - it takes us this long to acquire the wherewithal to purchase something else unfortunately working as a nurse not a nurse manager meant quite poor pay for the level of commitment and stress but the caravan was my out and now we are retired we are going to enjoy our new to us motorhome would have been good to buy a newer one but

Never fear we will enjoy our retirement

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
After owning a Danbury T2 where we had to put up an awning I vowed never again to have to hammer pegs into the ground ! There will be no caravan awning for me !

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I think you have to do your homework and decide what works best for you, nobody else can or should influence that decision. Whilst caravans hold no allure for us, good luck with your decision making.
A part of the homework tho is seeking advise from others and their experience / experiences surely , thanks for the good wishes tho btw !

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
In three years time i had fully intended to trade in the Bailey for something bigger / more luxurious and with a max outlay , including trade in , of approx 60K to 80K GBP, BUT now im seriously contemplating buying a brand new Rexton 4 x 4 ( replacing two cars that i now already own , a Tivoli and an old banger Focus ) and a top end caravan ( Buccaneer) trading in the Bailey for a total outlay of approx 30K GBP.
The maths look great tbh , i rarely wild camp or use Aires , am i missing nsomething here ? cheers in advance !
Do it, plenty of caravan forums to join when you leave here. Good luck (y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Must be something appealing about caravans figures indicate almost 3 caravans for every motorhome. We're not set in our ways and keep an open mind and if a caravan suited our needs better we wouldn't hesitate to change.
Yet they cost 20% of the price, which must answer that question for you

It's horses for courses but can be expensive while you work out which is best for you. Both have advantages and disadvantages. We find the ability to just "get up and go" with a m/h outweighs the disadvantages.
Precisely

I think he meant to say "specious" ("superficially plausible, but actually wrong")

The advantages of a caravan are that you have generally greater space for your money, but there is a set up premium in terms of time, fiddle factor, and so forth. The advantages of a motor home are that you have greater level of self containment, greater longevity, lower depreciation, etc. I wouldn't buy a boat without a motor, and I loathe camp sites, therefore I choose a M/H. There again, I wouldn't go on a trip and spend most of my time living in a plastic box, I tour. And I consider a M/H far better for touring (get up and go) purposes.

Lugging a box on wheels around the continent just doesn't suit me

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Yet they cost 20% of the price, which must answer that question for you

Precisely

I think he meant to say "specious" ("superficially plausible, but actually wrong")

The advantages of a caravan are that you have generally greater space for your money, but there is a set up premium in terms of time, fiddle factor, use of the towing vehicle and so forth. The advantages of a motor home are that you have greater level of self containment, greater longevity, lower depreciation, etc. I wouldn't buy a boat without a motor, and I loathe camp sites, therefore I choose a M/H. There again, I wouldn't go on a trip and spend most of my time living in a plastic box, I tour. And I consider a M/H better for touring )get up and go) purposes.

I said and meant spurious, I suggest you don't waste your time second guessing other people's use of vocabulary, it'll only end in tiers .

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It's a long term debate on here. Folk town a car behind a MH then sit in the MH for weeks in one place. Instead use a single motor vehicle to tow a caravan and the whole thing is so much more efficient. Half the costs and half the running expense.

This baffles me too..

I have done it all, big 7.5 tonner, 3.5 tonne PVC with caravan, Tag Axle coachbuilt , and now Tag axle A class.

Everything was bought for my purpose, nobody elses, and that is what you need to be honest about.. my needs are to get places fast, carry what i need , and be the minimum of fuss, for us the MH is a tool , not something to have just for having, its out pretty much every other week, but we rarely use sites, and i dont think i have been on a UK site for the last 5 or 6 years.

Even if i had it, i couldnt drop £80k on a vehicle, i might drop £20k on four, but thats a lot of expensive eggs in one basket.

The flip side is you spend a lot of time driving round in a car you have to have to tow, and dont tow with it.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's not better when you want to get up and go, just easier usually.

However when you want to stop, but nip out occasionally to eg get a pint of milk or visit some local attractive place with narrow streets that's atop a 1 in 1 hill - you're onto a loser with most Mohos. I miss the convenience of a car and caravan for the former, and the compactness of a tiny tent and a powerful motorbike for the latter.

We still have the bikes and the little tent, and we have the car, which could easily tow a decent sized caravan - but don't have room to park a caravan here as well as a Moho. (Saw a belting 2 berth Avondale for sale a few months ago - I'd have bought it there and then to add to the stable if we'd had that room!)

It is, whatever the best option for you happens to be at the time, depending on your circumstances at that time - and NONE of them is wrong !

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
For us we got rid of the caravan because it didn't get used, just too much hassle to fit around work. The van gets used loads more and we are upgrading in the next few months...

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
When we were looking we were really impressed with the space in modern caravans and loved the end bedrom and it was a third of the price of a motorhome. On paper a caravan made so much sense as I drive a 4x4 that could happily tow and with no mot, tax, insurance and cheaper servicing to pay it would have cost so much less.

I would not have used a caravan as much, because our Moho gets used for day trips and long journeys so we can stop over and split up the journey. Do I use the Moho three times more? Probably not. But I enjoy driving my Motorhome, when I have towed a caravan it was a chore and just a means to an end.

Our Moho is only 6.3 metres long so we can squeeze it in to most car parks without a height barrier and like to go off site in it knowing we have everything on hand. But we have compromises, we can't have a fixed bed and a spacious lounge so we have to make up a bed every night.

It is really down to your usage, and what works for you. I find it hard to understand why someone has a Moho so big you need to tow a car to get about but if it works for them then that is all that matters.

I hope whatever you choose works long term for you.

kevinktwo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
not yet
I think it is totally down to how long you spend in one place, the longer you spend the more suitable a caravan. Although I have spent the last 40 years towing, a large twin axle caravan never felt completely stable when driving. Especially if there is a side wind(Jeep Grand Cherokee tug)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had both and they both have their purposes. A caravan is inconvenient for touring but fine if you stay on sites, especially in the uk. Fuel costs are higher with a caravan though as you tend to go out and come back to the same placerather than tour from place to place. My Discovery is only marginally more fuel efficient than the motorhome even without towing.
We always go to the continent and tour so a caravan would not do us.
A worthwhile point as we get older is that public conveniences are becoming a rarity, with a motorhome we always have one nearby.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Your line of reasoning appeared apparent to you but appeared not actually valid to me , in my opinion therefore it was spurious .
Ah right, so on your post, nobody is allowed their comments without you saying that they are liars then?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don`t do it..... been down the road of Tent`s... Small Camper vans... bigger camper vans... caravans... 5th wheel`s... small and big RV`s....

Then in October last year an all singing all dancing top of the range Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Warrior, and a 1 year old hardly used Twin axle Swift Challenger...

We never slept in it, couple of visitors did when we did not have enough beds in the house to put them up....

I was Ostrichized taken the *iss out of called names, so much so we have traded the lot in and bought a new Boxer Majestic Mo-Home... :Grin:

So as of 10am this Monday we will be back in the fold.... and maybe "Funsters" will start to talk to us again... (Maybe not.. :giggler:)

Never lost so much money in such a short time. :crying1:.. so think carefully.. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Just saying like.... but do what you think is best for you.. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back