Having bad bad thoughts about the dark side , let me explain. ...... (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
In three years time i had fully intended to trade in the Bailey for something bigger / more luxurious and with a max outlay , including trade in , of approx 60K to 80K GBP, BUT now im seriously contemplating buying a brand new Rexton 4 x 4 ( replacing two cars that i now already own , a Tivoli and an old banger Focus ) and a top end caravan ( Buccaneer) trading in the Bailey for a total outlay of approx 30K GBP.
The maths look great tbh , i rarely wild camp or use Aires , am i missing nsomething here ? cheers in advance !

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
In three years time i had fully intended to trade in the Bailey for something bigger / more luxurious and with a max outlay , including trade in , of approx 60K to 80K GBP, BUT now im seriously contemplating buying a brand new Rexton 4 x 4 ( replacing two cars that i now already own , a Tivoli and an old banger Focus ) and a top end caravan ( Buccaneer) trading in the Bailey for a total outlay of approx 30K GBP.
The maths look great tbh , i rarely wild camp or use Aires , am i missing nsomething here ? cheers in advance !
:imoutahere: BAN HIM

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Im wondering if you could go from a MoHo to a Caravan but only you would know that ;)

Would it be worth hiring a Caravan to see how you get on with it.
I know we don't like being in one place for long thats why we don't do pack holidays :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You're missing aires and wild camping !

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Makes sense to me, we don't often go to motorhome / caravan shows but the last 2 we've been to the caravans have really impressed us, can see us eventually doing something similar.:)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If you don't wild camp or use aires, a caravan could make sense....
If you stay mostly in the UK, caravan wins imo. Height barriers and parking restrictions limit what you can do here.
If you travel overseas, the sheer convenience of a motorhome wins for me.
I can't understand why some are so hostile towards caravans, we're both doing similar things, just in a different way...

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Makes sense to me, we don't often go to motorhome / caravan shows but the last 2 we've been to the caravans have really impressed us, can see us eventually doing something similar.:)

huh, shocking, wannabe tuggers...........:boxing:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
If you don't wild camp or use aires, a caravan could make sense....
If you stay mostly in the UK, caravan wins imo. Height barriers and parking restrictions limit what you can do here.
If you travel overseas, the sheer convenience of a motorhome wins for me.
I can't understand why some are so hostile towards caravans, we're both doing similar things, just in a different way...

omg theyre everywhere:sneaky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
tis true...........but thats no excuse, so go on, off ye go, sinners...............

It's a long term debate on here. Folk town a car behind a MH then sit in the MH for weeks in one place. Instead use a single motor vehicle to tow a caravan and the whole thing is so much more efficient. Half the costs and half the running expense.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Without the cab and engine the whole picture changes dramatically. The accommodation for a third of the cost is staggering.
Precisely!
When folk are scratching around desperate for any motorhome...convincing themselves that a damp ridden, old rust bucket is actually ok for six, seven, eight thousand pounds plus....
They could buy a decent caravan and tow car for the same money, I can never understand that one...

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Precisely!
When folk are scratching around desperate for any motorhome...convincing themselves that a damp ridden, old rust bucket is actually ok for six, seven, eight thousand pounds plus....
They could buy a decent caravan and tow car for the same money, I can never understand that one...

i give in totally, thought i'd joined motorhome fun:confused: shall we rebrand:ROFLMAO:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

DON'T DO IT

Think with a motorhome you pull up check if your level switch on the gas and get the kettle on

with a caravan you
park on pitch
check if you're level if not get the wedges out from the bottom of the front box
hook up the electric switch on the gas
Fill the Aquaroll fit the water pump / connect the water up
set up the drain /wastemaster
switch on the gas
put up your choice of awning (Porch 15 minutes- full awning 30 minutes)

Collapse into a chair whilst swbo puts the kettle on

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
with a caravan you
park on pitch

As with a MH

check if you're level if not get the wedges out from the bottom of the front box

As with a MH

As with a MH

Don't some caravans have tanks now ?

switch on the gas

As with a MH, but you've already done this once.

As with a MH.

As with a MH.

See RED comments.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Swapped our motorhome fir a caravan last year, only been out in it a few times because of the hassle.

We've only found 2 advantages so far -
The level of comfort per pound is higher in a carava.
We have a car to use when we're on holiday.

Seriously thinking of going back to a motorhome when finances allow.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We started with a caravan.

Following a serious accident, not our fault, we switched to motorhomes. After a few years sold the m/h to finance the purchase of our base in France and replaced with a caravan.

After three years decided to go back to motorhomes as it suited us better, especially as we could start our travels already in France.

It's horses for courses but can be expensive while you work out which is best for you. Both have advantages and disadvantages. We find the ability to just "get up and go" with a m/h outweighs the disadvantages.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In 10 years a Caravan would not be accepted by 'travellers' and the car would be ready for recycling. A Moho on the other hand is only probably a few grand less.
Why say this? I thought about 10 years ago. I could have bought an X5. That'd be ready for the knackers yard now or only worth a couple of grand. The caravan would need replacing. I reckon my Moho has only lost about 7k in that time and it's still better.
Would I do it the same way given the opportunity? Yessssssssss

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have just stopped on one of the rebranded CAMC Sites in Brighton. Very nice. Full of MH's even the Wardens have MH's parked up. It was a real surprise how many there were then all of a sudden the caravans arrived. This one has even got a proper grey water disposal point. No crawling about trying to hold pipes in place it's got a full width drain that works really well.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
DON'T DO IT

Think with a motorhome you pull up check if your level switch on the gas and get the kettle on

with a caravan you
park on pitch
switch on the gas

In 10 years a Caravan would not be accepted by 'travellers' and the car would be ready for recycling. A Moho on the other hand is only probably a few grand less.
Why say this? I thought about 10 years ago. I could have bought an X5. That'd be ready for the knackers yard now or only worth a couple of grand. The caravan would need replacing. I reckon my Moho has only lost about 7k in that time and it's still better.
Would I do it the same way given the opportunity? Yessssssssss

Spurious argument? I wouldn't keep a motorhome/ caravan / car for that length of time . Technology moves at too beautiful a pace to put up with old tech .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Started with a caravan and in no rush to go back, I can see how it works for some people especially those who need/want a car for getting about while away or those who stay mostly on sites for longer than a couple of days.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back