Got my motorhome - now to spend some money!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Sift, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Sift

Sift Read Only Funster

As per title, I am now the proud owner of a Laika Ecovip 5 LG. I bought the Laika as it has a garage area, which my race bike will fit in nicely. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to put jerry cans, the generator, tyre warmers, wet wheels, tools and spares yet but planning the logistics will be fun... I think. I'm also looking forward to taking my kids away for adventures. They're going to love it.

I bought the MH as a 'trade' van so I'm sure that it will need some work. It's off for a full service, timing and auxiliary belt, and MOT on Monday. From there on it's off to the local garage to fill up with LPG, fill up the water tanks and start testing stuff.

The electrical system needs inspection. I will need to test both the solar panel output and the leisure battery, which I'm pretty sure needs replacing.

The MH has been fitted with an underslung LPG tank. It also has 2 water tanks and plenty of underfloor storage as it has a double floor.

I am building up a number of questions but I'm off to do some research for myself before I start plaguing people.

All the best,
    Lee.

• Like Like x 5
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Another Yorik -- have you spotted him in here ?

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi welcome to Fun, ask as many questions as you need, that is what it is all about. :welcomefunster:

4. Sift

Sift Read Only Funster

Thanks both.

I have just searched for Yorick and found some nice pics of his conversion. He rides proper bikes though.

• Like Like x 4
  5. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

welcome to the mad house.you sound as crazy as the rest of us .:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi and :welcomefunster:
    We're not all mad on here, just the majority .......... and it helps!:Laughing:

Margaret & Bill

7. Sift

Sift Read Only Funster

I am currently going through that 'What have I bought?' stage and 'For £xxx more I could have got this and that' but hey ho, it's done now and I'm on the MH ladder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welcome:

9. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

HI Lee and a big :welcomefunster:I lived in Bournemouth for 30 yrs before moving to France and ran my Truck from Raymond Browns yard in Ringwood so know it well,any questions ask away you will always get an answer here,well of one kind or another :Smile:
    Good luck with the van,by the way,what do you race??
    Brian.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome -but mostly enjoy :thumb: With that lot (you describe) I will watch for you selling after you have lost your license for overloading :Rofl1::BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 3
  11. Yorick

Yorick Funster

What do you ride then ?

12. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

New motorhome

Wecome, I am sure that you will have lots of fun, although as said in a previous post be aware of overloading, the best advise I can give you is to fill it up with fuel and half full of water, then go to the local weigh bridge usually run by the council and weigh the unit and the front and rear axles, if like my council they wont charge providing you dont want a printed ticket.

once you have this info you will then know what and where you can load, also check the train weight as you may be able to tow a box trailer as well, there is lots of opinion and advise here from many menbers with lots of experience :BigGrin:

Above all enjoy your new motorhome:thumb:

13. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN the best motorhome site for any and all advise you might need. We too have a Laika and are very pleased with it, great build and very reliable. Ours came fully loaded with very thing you could think of but I've still bought load of stuff too much according to my beautiful wife but mainly kitchen items, knives etc. Try your van out for a trip or two then you will soon find out what you might need. Have FUN. :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Lee and welcome to the Fun site! :welcomefunster:

15. Sift

Sift Read Only Funster

Cheers all for the lovely responses.

I ride in the 250 MZ (2 stroke, single cylinder) class with BEMSEE. I was novice champion in 2013 and came 7th overall out of 30+ racers, which I am very proud of. It's a great class and a great little club which is growing all the time. We had 36 riders out at Brands Hatch last weekend, with reserves waiting.

The MZ will probably weigh less then a scooter (which the rear garage is made for) but all the other gubbings will add up the weight. Thanks for suggestion of weigh bridge; I'll definitely need to do that to see how close I am to the limit. I do have a tow bar so a box trailer could be an option.

Thanks again,
    Lee.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  16. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Can I interest you in some Magic Beans?

• Like Like x 1
  17. the stig

the stig Funster

Hi and welcome to fun, if it makes you feel any better, they do say we never get it right first time, usually by the third we are happy lol But boy you'll have fun getting there...
    btw if its of any use look in classifieds as we are selling a remote controlled bike rack!

cheers
    Andrea & Jeff

18. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Glad you are having fun :Laughing:

I instruct for Focused Events and we see loads of noisy MZs annoying folk on much bigger sports bikes :Wink: :Laughing:

19. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Why can't I find classifieds ? :cry:

20. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Well the bike looks pretty cool to me :thumb:,
    I had several MZ'S when buying my first house in Ferndown and having a big mortgage,lifetime biker and used to spend as much time as possible at Thruxton.
    Never seen MZ'S racing but have seen Citroen 2CV racing over here though :Rofl1: