Got my motorhome - now to spend some money! (1 Viewer)

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
As per title, I am now the proud owner of a Laika Ecovip 5 LG. I bought the Laika as it has a garage area, which my race bike will fit in nicely. I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to put jerry cans, the generator, tyre warmers, wet wheels, tools and spares yet but planning the logistics will be fun... I think. I'm also looking forward to taking my kids away for adventures. They're going to love it.

I bought the MH as a 'trade' van so I'm sure that it will need some work. It's off for a full service, timing and auxiliary belt, and MOT on Monday. From there on it's off to the local garage to fill up with LPG, fill up the water tanks and start testing stuff.

The electrical system needs inspection. I will need to test both the solar panel output and the leisure battery, which I'm pretty sure needs replacing.

The MH has been fitted with an underslung LPG tank. It also has 2 water tanks and plenty of underfloor storage as it has a double floor.

I am building up a number of questions but I'm off to do some research for myself before I start plaguing people.

All the best,
Lee.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Hi Lee and welcome from a fellow biker you Will be surprisrd at how many bikers there are on here,
Pete

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Hi & welcome. Sounds as though your getting it all in hand (money that is) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Garry. Yes, that's the one. I'm very pleased with it even though I am rapidly finding out why it was sold as a 'trade vehicle'. Still, no damp which is a bonus.

There is a mistake in the advert: it says plated at 3850kg but the plate I found by the bonnet catch says 3500kg so I've lost 350kg already.

We have a local public weighbridge so I'll fill with diesel and some gas (did I mention that it has a rather heavy looking underslung LPG tank?). Water might have to wait. I'm still holding out hope as my race bike will weigh less than a scooter. Fingers crossed.

Oh how much you learn after you have bought something :roflmto:
I would probably have found an excuse to buy it anyway.

Cheers,
Lee.

Careful, though. You can probably get the 3850kg restored with the right paperwork. However, given your usage it will probably be regarded as a "living van". That opens a can of worms with regards to operator licences, plating, off road storage, tachos, driving licences, driving hours etc., depending on your exact usage of the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Welcome to the club, fellow bikers here too. We race motocross but tow a trailer as we have no garage. Friends of ours have a rear box fitted that takes some of their equipment, spares etc. At least with road racing you wont suffer with the " being towed into and out of the field again" syndrome :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sift

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Welcome to the club, fellow bikers here too. We race motocross but tow a trailer as we have no garage. Friends of ours have a rear box fitted that takes some of their equipment, spares etc. At least with road racing you wont suffer with the " being towed into and out of the field again" syndrome :Doh:
If last season is anything to go by I'll be spending most of the time being pulled out of the gravel. That's me, not the motorhome :winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back