Good manners?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by maison, Nov 22, 2013.

1. maison

maison Funster

We live in a village accessed via a single track road with passing places. Today, on returning from a trip out with our MH we were about halfway along the lane when a "Gentleman" driving a black Audi A4 entered the lane from the opposite end.

On seeing our MH he accelerated along the lane, ignoring two passing places, until he ended up bumper to bumper with us. He then preoceeded to wind down his window and tell us to reverse out of his "f***ing" way. We were told that drivers of such "F***ing" vehicles should not use narrow roads! He then turned off his ignition and sat with his arms folded.

By now we had another car behind us although this appeared to make no difference to the "Gentleman" concerned.

I got out of our MH and pointed out to him, politely of course, that since we were equipped with cooking facilities, toilet and beds we could probably wait there longer than he could.

At that he started his engine and reversed with the engine screaming all the way along the lane, again ignoring the passing places. As we passed him I noticed in my mirror that the car following us gave him a wave (of the two fingered variety)! At least the look on his face, and his irate reaction to the car following us showed that it wasn't just us who got up his nose.

Perhaps he was just having a bad hair day! :Angry:

• Like Like x 25
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Worrying, glad you got away without a fight.

A kid did it to me once when I was in a car, so I did reverse, very slowly and deliberately touching each kerb in turn. He was going apeshit, his girlfriend was trying to calm him.

• Like Like x 9
  3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Unfortunately, he isn't the only one of those kind of drivers on the road.:Sad:

4. maison

maison Funster

Good manners

The guy concerned would have been in his sixties and should have known better.

Perhaps the fact that I was considerably bigger than him had something to do with the outcome, but you can't be too careful these days I know.

• Like Like x 3
  5. themogs

themogs Funster

:BigGrin:It sounds that he was lucky that you're a gent :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I had that once in Wales on a very tight road. I put the kettle on and showed him the cup :Rofl1::Rofl1: He reversed in a similar manner to yours :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Ignorant, stupid, selfish drivers are everywhere. Today while out on roadtest in a motorhome doing 40 MPH in a 40 limit through an industrial estate (straight road, good visibility). Car coming towards me on other side of road indicates left and pulls into layby, no probs. Then when I'm about 150 yds from her she suddenly pulls out of the layby and does a u turn (still indicating left) and pulls into an entrance on my side and stops, poor driving but not too critical for me. Then when I'm about 25 metres from her she pulls out in front of me causing me to brake hard. 100 metres up the road she suddenly turns into a side road with no indication whatsoever, not even using the brakes! 300 metres further on I see a lorry waiting to pull out of a side road (my side), when I get to about 50 metres from him he decides to pull out across my path again causing me to brake hard.

D.

8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

While I was waiting for my Seaman's book to come thro after leaving the Services, I took a job delivering Schweppes. I was the other side of the river near Fowey, narrow road, this young female came towards me, ignoring the Passing Place.
    We Eyeballed each other, bumper to bumper, I got out the Cab and explained to her the nearest passing place for her was 30 metres, the nearest on my side was 60 metres.
    She burst into tears! and wailed "I don't know how to reverse!!!"
    I reversed the truck back to the passing place, and as she passed, she tooted the horn and gave me the Finger:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Why is it that 4x4 off road vehicles never want to go off road and get out of the way

• Like Like x 5
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Are you sure it was to do with driving? :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So you're importing Romulan cloaking devices now. You might consider an interlock so they don't engage when moving.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

You see it's just that kind of generalisation that gets everyone a bad name.
    I drive a 4 x 4 and I ALWAYS pull over and share the off-roading down narrow lanes.
    I suppose ALL Bikers are lunatics and ALL Rottweillers are dangerous dogs too??:Angry:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Not all of them obviously, just every one of them that I meet on a narrow road

• Like Like x 2
  15. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Most 4x4 drivers around here think "off road" means going up their drive.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Audi drivers

Alas that's pretty standard behavior for a Audi driver

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

No worries there. Sit tight and if no response go to bed. Am never in a hurry to go anywhere. They can huf and puf as much as they like, but there is only one thing that will shake me and that is if they touch my bus they deal with the devil :thumb:.

• Like Like x 4
  18. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

If you'd met the same guy in the street or shopping in Tesco, do you think he'd have tried to face you down with his shopping trolley?
    I seriously doubt it.
    More likely he'd have gone, "Oops sorry, my fault" and stepped aside in that delightfully English way.
    The problem is that when some people get inside the warm, cosy little cocoon that is their vehicle, they seem to think that somehow they've become the most important and untouchable being in all of creation.
    WTF is wrong with people today?
    Why does no-one seem to give a flying f..... for anyone else's feelings??

• Like Like x 5
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Most 4x4 drivers around here think "off road" is driving up the pavement to park to drop their kids off for school.

• Like Like x 5
  20. laneside

laneside Funster

You will all be very glad of many of the 4x4 drivers when you get your 100 days of snow

• Like Like x 3