Good manners? (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We live in a village accessed via a single track road with passing places. Today, on returning from a trip out with our MH we were about halfway along the lane when a "Gentleman" driving a black Audi A4 entered the lane from the opposite end.

On seeing our MH he accelerated along the lane, ignoring two passing places, until he ended up bumper to bumper with us. He then preoceeded to wind down his window and tell us to reverse out of his "f***ing" way. We were told that drivers of such "F***ing" vehicles should not use narrow roads! He then turned off his ignition and sat with his arms folded.

By now we had another car behind us although this appeared to make no difference to the "Gentleman" concerned.

I got out of our MH and pointed out to him, politely of course, that since we were equipped with cooking facilities, toilet and beds we could probably wait there longer than he could.

At that he started his engine and reversed with the engine screaming all the way along the lane, again ignoring the passing places. As we passed him I noticed in my mirror that the car following us gave him a wave (of the two fingered variety)! At least the look on his face, and his irate reaction to the car following us showed that it wasn't just us who got up his nose.

Perhaps he was just having a bad hair day! :Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Worrying, glad you got away without a fight.

A kid did it to me once when I was in a car, so I did reverse, very slowly and deliberately touching each kerb in turn. He was going apeshit, his girlfriend was trying to calm him.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Unfortunately, he isn't the only one of those kind of drivers on the road.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Good manners

The guy concerned would have been in his sixties and should have known better.

Perhaps the fact that I was considerably bigger than him had something to do with the outcome, but you can't be too careful these days I know.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had that once in Wales on a very tight road. I put the kettle on and showed him the cup :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He reversed in a similar manner to yours :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ignorant, stupid, selfish drivers are everywhere. Today while out on roadtest in a motorhome doing 40 MPH in a 40 limit through an industrial estate (straight road, good visibility). Car coming towards me on other side of road indicates left and pulls into layby, no probs. Then when I'm about 150 yds from her she suddenly pulls out of the layby and does a u turn (still indicating left) and pulls into an entrance on my side and stops, poor driving but not too critical for me. Then when I'm about 25 metres from her she pulls out in front of me causing me to brake hard. 100 metres up the road she suddenly turns into a side road with no indication whatsoever, not even using the brakes! 300 metres further on I see a lorry waiting to pull out of a side road (my side), when I get to about 50 metres from him he decides to pull out across my path again causing me to brake hard.

D.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
While I was waiting for my Seaman's book to come thro after leaving the Services, I took a job delivering Schweppes. I was the other side of the river near Fowey, narrow road, this young female came towards me, ignoring the Passing Place.
We Eyeballed each other, bumper to bumper, I got out the Cab and explained to her the nearest passing place for her was 30 metres, the nearest on my side was 60 metres.
She burst into tears! and wailed "I don't know how to reverse!!!"
I reversed the truck back to the passing place, and as she passed, she tooted the horn and gave me the Finger:Sad:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Why is it that 4x4 off road vehicles never want to go off road and get out of the way

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
While I was waiting for my Seaman's book to come thro after leaving the Services, I took a job delivering Schweppes. I was the other side of the river near Fowey, narrow road, this young female came towards me, ignoring the Passing Place.
We Eyeballed each other, bumper to bumper, I got out the Cab and explained to her the nearest passing place for her was 30 metres, the nearest on my side was 60 metres.
I reversed the truck back to the passing place, and [HI]as she passed, she tooted the horn and gave me the Finger[/HI]:Sad:

Are you sure it was to do with driving? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Why is it that 4x4 off road vehicles never want to go off road and get out of the way
You see it's just that kind of generalisation that gets everyone a bad name.
I drive a 4 x 4 and I ALWAYS pull over and share the off-roading down narrow lanes.
I suppose ALL Bikers are lunatics and ALL Rottweillers are dangerous dogs too??:Angry:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
You see it's just that kind of generalisation that gets everyone a bad name.
I drive a 4 x 4 and I ALWAYS pull over and share the off-roading down narrow lanes.
I suppose ALL Bikers are lunatics and ALL Rottweillers are dangerous dogs too??:Angry:
Not all of them obviously, just every one of them that I meet on a narrow road

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Audi drivers

Alas that's pretty standard behavior for a Audi driver

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No worries there. Sit tight and if no response go to bed. Am never in a hurry to go anywhere. They can huf and puf as much as they like, but there is only one thing that will shake me and that is if they touch my bus they deal with the devil :thumb:.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
If you'd met the same guy in the street or shopping in Tesco, do you think he'd have tried to face you down with his shopping trolley?
I seriously doubt it.
More likely he'd have gone, "Oops sorry, my fault" and stepped aside in that delightfully English way.
The problem is that when some people get inside the warm, cosy little cocoon that is their vehicle, they seem to think that somehow they've become the most important and untouchable being in all of creation.
WTF is wrong with people today?
Why does no-one seem to give a flying f..... for anyone else's feelings??

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Alas that's pretty standard behavior for a Audi driver

You are right Mike - I read that Audi drivers are the most dangerous on the roads, surprisingly. I actually thought BMW drivers were... but that's my prejudice coming out! :ROFLMAO:

Catherine

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You will all be very glad of many of the 4x4 drivers when you get your 100 days of snow

Yeah, well I'm keeping clear of Todmorden, don't know what vibrations you left behind you. And stop sending pics of sunny beaches will you please? :cry::cry:

Catherine

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you'd met the same guy in the street or shopping in Tesco, do you think he'd have tried to face you down with his shopping trolley?
I seriously doubt it.
More likely he'd have gone, "Oops sorry, my fault" and stepped aside in that delightfully English way.
The problem is that when some people get inside the warm, cosy little cocoon that is their vehicle, they seem to think that somehow they've become the most important and untouchable being in all of creation.
WTF is wrong with people today?
Why does no-one seem to give a flying f..... for anyone else's feelings??

Or their crash helmet!
We must have the worst motorcyclists in the world here. When I rode a bike for a living I had to adhere to the highway code and other regulations, seems the bikers of today are exempt. Same too for many 4x4 drivers and the usual Audi BMW etc drivers.
I nearly lost my front wing today in the van. Car parked on my side of the road and someone flashed me to come through ( we also have a lot of very kind and considerate motorists here) which I did. As I returned to my side of the road a black Ferrari came up to a junction on my left and stopped with about 3 feet of her car over the stop line, I had to pull into the middle of the road to avoid her, but luckily, the driver who had stopped for me also saw what she had done and stayed where he was, giving me a shrug as I went past.
Had I been in my old Citroen Picasso, I don't think I would have seen her....:RollEyes:

Allan

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
WE had a wierd experience last week on a quiet residential road in the village we live in, a white Astra van came tearing up the road towards us, doing about 40-50mph, as he drew level with us he braked hard and stuck up 2 fingers at us, (me and the wife), then accelerated frantically away, I naturally turned round to glare at him, but made no gestures of any kind, whereupon he braked very hard to a stop about 20 yards further along, leant out of the window and shouted "F**k your mother, then accelerated away again, we were so flabbergasted, we forgot to get his number, but will keep an eye out for him in future.
My wife was very upset, what are these people on.?? :Angry:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Or their crash helmet!
We must have the worst motorcyclists in the world here. When I rode a bike for a living I had to adhere to the highway code and other regulations, [HI]seems the bikers of today are exempt. Same too for many 4x4 drivers and the usual Audi BMW etc drivers.[/HI]

Allan

It's funny because, having ridden bikes for over 30 years and having driven 4 x 4's for over 10 and currently owning two bikes and (not only a 4 x 4 but, God forbid) a BMW 4 x 4, it's only now that I realise just how dangerous and inconsiderate I actually am.
Still, at least I have the redeeming qualities of being a Caravanner and a Motorhomer eh!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The other element of bad driving which seems to be on the increase is running red lights. These days when we are stopped at a busy junction waiting for the lights to change it's almost inevitable that at least one vehicle will go through a red.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
WE had a wierd experience last week on a quiet residential road in the village we live in, a white Astra van came tearing up the road towards us, doing about 40-50mph, as he drew level with us he braked hard and stuck up 2 fingers at us, (me and the wife), then accelerated frantically away, I naturally turned round to glare at him, but made no gestures of any kind, whereupon he braked very hard to a stop about 20 yards further along, leant out of the window and shouted "F**k your mother, then accelerated away again, we were so flabbergasted, we forgot to get his number, but will keep an eye out for him in future.
My wife was very upset, what are these people on.?? :Angry:

I upset a man by turning right off a main road and because he'd been behind a bus I'd not seen him. He sped out from behind it as I went to turn into the street. I stopped and lifted up my hand said sorry. I hadn't seen him and I know it would have been my fault, although he was behind the bus and seemed to come out of no where at speed.
He replied to my apology , very loudly summer open windows, F off b!t(h I hope you get cancer and die ! :whatthe:
I was gob smacked.( which takes a lot ! ) :roflmto:
But I managed to say ahh thanks a lot sweetheart have a nice day , whilst blowing him a kiss.
It did upset me though , I was quite shook up afterwards. At least I only had a couple of hundred yards to get home.
There are some prats on the road.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think what I've learned from reading this thread so far is that there a lot of bad/inconsiderate road users.

So I haven't really learnt anything - I already knew that.

The thing that always puzzles me, as I assume that at least some of these people actually TOOK their driving test and some of them probably passed it - when I took mine we had a book to read called The Highway Code. I don't think that can exist any more.

There were lots of things in that book, some of them very useful, some of them not very depending on what and where you were intending to drive. But there was at least ONE instruction that applied to all road users whether on foot or in or on a vehicle.

'Apply consideration to other road users at all times'.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reversed the truck back to the passing place, and as she passed, she tooted the horn and gave me the Finger:Sad:

theres a sucker born every minute :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back