gas usage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bikerisme, May 18, 2013.

1. bikerisme

bikerisme Read Only Funster

hello all, used a caravan for a couple of years doing tours of France etc have now retired
    and have brought a motorhome will be touring France Germany etc and using there free parks on the odd nights, so can see gas supply running out even with 2 bottles after 3weeks or so was thinking of fitting a Lpg refillable conversion with adapters for filling in other countrys would be glad to hear what others do thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

depends where i,m going . i do have german french spanish bottles . so can take what suits . also uk bottle . i would say two 13/129kg bottles would last the time .one should i would think . i only used 5 in last winters trip . i fill bottles as well . i have so many problems with some so called refillable bottles i wouldnt use them .

3. bikerisme

can only get 2 7kg bottles in locker so will need to top up with gas,i used to run a car on LPG gas that i could get refill from garages was wondering what others do if touring for few weeks

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

fill your bottles up at lpg pumps . just like filling your car tank .

5. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

If you're going to be using Aires and Stellplatz, with little scope for the use of electric heat sources, then you will get through some gas. I base my gas requirement on the following, which I hope will help you in some way.

Oven - 220g/hr
    Hob (each ring) - 100g/hr
    Fridge - 50g/hr
    Space Heating - 220g/hr

FYI The top two are actual loads and the remainder diversified loads; I don't like to run out of gas unexpectedly so I use 50% diversity.

Enjoy your tours.
    Ed

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

On our trip to France back in April using only Aires I reckon we got through around a litre of gas per day in total for fridge, hob, hot water/shower and running the blown air heater for a while in the mornings. It was a 15 day trip and I had to top up with 15 litres at the end of it.

Our 11Kg refillable cylinder has a maximum top up capacity of 22 litres so I reckon it'd last us three weeks. If you're buying continental adapters try the ones by Gas-It - they're cheaper, and try to fill up at supermarkets rather than motorway services.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Gas

Last week I wrote an article abot gas usage - it is here to read. A couple of comments from Gaslow users too.

We have used Gaslow in the past, but without boring you with the details, never again.

We could onsider a fixed tank though instead.

Russell

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Thats a very good article:thumb:

9. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

We have had Gaslow fitted 11KG and a second 11KG added a few weeks ago. We have used it in France and besides Lyon have had no problem filling it up. We hummed and had over a long time and the benefits of Gaslow are many, not having the lift the cylinders out, pigtails or slipping wrenches, and more importantly cost and convenience.
    When we were in France a few weeks ago, we used the heater most nights and never thought “oops must cut back on usage.” I think we used 11Kg or there about over the two weeks, yes we were on some hook-ups, but Gaslow was for us…
    Yes it s bit outlay, but its always an asset , have you tried getting your deposit back from Calor?

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That's not a lot of gas!

We have a 55L (holds 44L @80%) underslung tank fitted by Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 at Thirsk in Yorkshire. We recieved great advice and service, even to the point of a query whist in France and Chris emailed me back on a Saturday with answers.

Apart from the convenience of just being able to top-up at any time it now leaves our gas locker free for other storage.

I would give Chris a call ........

01845 523 213 ..... info@autogasleisure.co.uk ..... www.autogasleisure.co.uk

I'm sure he will have a solution for you.

Just to point out I have no connection with Autogas 2000 except being a very satisfied customer.

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  11. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

I would agree with the usage of one litre/0.5kg of gas per day. Last October we went to Biarritz and the Pyrenees, we have two 6kg Calorgas cylinders I weight the partly full one before leaving, it contained 3.6kg as best as I could tell. So 9.6kg for 17 nights and it sort of lasted out, in France all was well we had no EHU and used the room heater for a short while most mornings. On the way back home from Dover we stopped for a P&T break, but ended up with a luke warm kettle of water and no gas.

We have ordered our new MH with a fix gas tank and filling adapters. Not a particularly large tank, 38L which at 80% hold 30L/15kg of gas. The main reason was that being able to refill at will we have no need to worry about being without gas. The advantage of a fix tank over Gaslow refillable cylinder is that it frees up the gas locker for outside storage.

Gordon

12. bikerisme

hi, thanks to all for the advise will get some info from Gaslow as to prices etc then decide whats best system for me many thanks

13. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

Hi
    My opinion is an underslung lpg tank is the way to go, you can fill up at any filling station that sells lpg .It is cheaper than buying bottles and The motorhome dedicated gas locker storage then becomes available for other uses, to me that is the + side of a tank vs refilable bottles.
    Have had a underslung tank on my past & present motorhomes recomend autogas 2000 for fitting they do a first rate job based at Carlton Minniot near Thirsk .

:Smile: Ron

14. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster