Free Member
May 16, 2013
felixstowe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i" a newbie
hello all, used a caravan for a couple of years doing tours of France etc have now retired
and have brought a motorhome will be touring France Germany etc and using there free parks on the odd nights, so can see gas supply running out even with 2 bottles after 3weeks or so was thinking of fitting a Lpg refillable conversion with adapters for filling in other countrys would be glad to hear what others do thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends where i,m going . i do have german french spanish bottles . so can take what suits . also uk bottle . i would say two 13/129kg bottles would last the time .one should i would think . i only used 5 in last winters trip . i fill bottles as well . i have so many problems with some so called refillable bottles i wouldnt use them .

OP
OP
B

bikerisme

Free Member
May 16, 2013
felixstowe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i" a newbie
can only get 2 7kg bottles in locker so will need to top up with gas,i used to run a car on LPG gas that i could get refill from garages was wondering what others do if touring for few weeks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If you're going to be using Aires and Stellplatz, with little scope for the use of electric heat sources, then you will get through some gas. I base my gas requirement on the following, which I hope will help you in some way.

Oven - 220g/hr
Hob (each ring) - 100g/hr
Fridge - 50g/hr
Space Heating - 220g/hr

FYI The top two are actual loads and the remainder diversified loads; I don't like to run out of gas unexpectedly so I use 50% diversity.

Enjoy your tours.
Ed

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On our trip to France back in April using only Aires I reckon we got through around a litre of gas per day in total for fridge, hob, hot water/shower and running the blown air heater for a while in the mornings. It was a 15 day trip and I had to top up with 15 litres at the end of it.

Our 11Kg refillable cylinder has a maximum top up capacity of 22 litres so I reckon it'd last us three weeks. If you're buying continental adapters try the ones by Gas-It - they're cheaper, and try to fill up at supermarkets rather than motorway services.

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Gas

Last week I wrote an article abot gas usage - it is Link Broken. A couple of comments from Gaslow users too.

We have used Gaslow in the past, but without boring you with the details, never again.

We could onsider a fixed tank though instead.

Russell

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Last week I wrote an article abot gas usage - it is Link Broken. A couple of comments from Gaslow users too.

We have used Gaslow in the past, but without boring you with the details, never again.

We could onsider a fixed tank though instead.

Russell

Thats a very good article:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have had Gaslow fitted 11KG and a second 11KG added a few weeks ago. We have used it in France and besides Lyon have had no problem filling it up. We hummed and had over a long time and the benefits of Gaslow are many, not having the lift the cylinders out, pigtails or slipping wrenches, and more importantly cost and convenience.
When we were in France a few weeks ago, we used the heater most nights and never thought “oops must cut back on usage.” I think we used 11Kg or there about over the two weeks, yes we were on some hook-ups, but Gaslow was for us…
Yes it s bit outlay, but its always an asset , have you tried getting your deposit back from Calor?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
can only get[HI] 2 7kg[/HI] bottles in locker so will need to top up with gas,i used to run a car on LPG gas that i could get refill from garages was wondering what others do if touring for few weeks

That's not a lot of gas!

We have a 55L (holds 44L @80%) underslung tank fitted by Chris Wise at Autogas 2000 at Thirsk in Yorkshire. We recieved great advice and service, even to the point of a query whist in France and Chris emailed me back on a Saturday with answers.

Apart from the convenience of just being able to top-up at any time it now leaves our gas locker free for other storage.

I would give Chris a call ........

01845 523 213 ..... info@autogasleisure.co.uk ..... Broken Link Removed

I'm sure he will have a solution for you.

Just to point out I have no connection with Autogas 2000 except being a very satisfied customer.

Brian

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I would agree with the usage of one litre/0.5kg of gas per day. Last October we went to Biarritz and the Pyrenees, we have two 6kg Calorgas cylinders I weight the partly full one before leaving, it contained 3.6kg as best as I could tell. So 9.6kg for 17 nights and it sort of lasted out, in France all was well we had no EHU and used the room heater for a short while most mornings. On the way back home from Dover we stopped for a P&T break, but ended up with a luke warm kettle of water and no gas.

We have ordered our new MH with a fix gas tank and filling adapters. Not a particularly large tank, 38L which at 80% hold 30L/15kg of gas. The main reason was that being able to refill at will we have no need to worry about being without gas. The advantage of a fix tank over Gaslow refillable cylinder is that it frees up the gas locker for outside storage.

Gordon

OP
OP
B

bikerisme

Free Member
May 16, 2013
felixstowe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i" a newbie
hi, thanks to all for the advise will get some info from Gaslow as to prices etc then decide whats best system for me many thanks

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Hi
My opinion is an underslung lpg tank is the way to go, you can fill up at any filling station that sells lpg .It is cheaper than buying bottles and The motorhome dedicated gas locker storage then becomes available for other uses, to me that is the + side of a tank vs refilable bottles.
Have had a underslung tank on my past & present motorhomes recomend autogas 2000 for fitting they do a first rate job based at Carlton Minniot near Thirsk .

:Smile: Ron

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back