Gas it / Gas Low or alternative (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Safefill do have the 80% cutoff. Asked Safefill at dusseldorf show re end of 10 year, they said take back to dealer and current price was, i think, about 30 euro to have cylinder retested / exchanged. No idea what price will be in 10 years thou!
It is a requirement under pressure test regulations to have cylinders( pressure vessels) retested. Of course you may choose to ignore the regs.
Hmmm ... I wonder if that has been changed over the years then as I was under the impression that there wasn't an 80% cut off on them, good that they have them now then!(y)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Anyone fitted the aluminium refillables to reduce weight? even though the cost might be quite a bit higher!

I have fitted
2 x 14kG to a Frankia and
2 x 11kG to a La Strada (to save weight)

And then immediately sold them both.

So now, have 1 x 11kG gasit and seeking a second bottle. 11kG Alugas, £202, Gasit £120. Yes the alugas is lighter and a great quality product. !

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
SafeFill are all the same diameter and come in three different heights. To my knowledge, have always limited the fill to 80%.
As they are interchangeable with 'ordinary' propane bottles, they need a pol connector.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
All this does sound very complicated to me and you do not sound to gain very much. Either in space or weight. Have you considered having an underslung tank fitted? It would be more money initially but you gain a large locker and I have never had any problem filling. I have filled in the UK, France, Spain and Portugal. The fill point is in the side skirt near the fuel fill point. So I can fill with both gas and diesel without moving the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All this does sound very complicated to me and you do not sound to gain very much. Either in space or weight. Have you considered having an underslung tank fitted? It would be more money initially but you gain a large locker and I have never had any problem filling. I have filled in the UK, France, Spain and Portugal. The fill point is in the side skirt near the fuel fill point. So I can fill with both gas and diesel without moving the van.
Not sure exactly what you are referring to as being very complicated but just to add that Terry mentioned in an earlier post that he actually has a tank so he's probably going to fit that himself.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Not sure exactly what you are referring to as being very complicated but just to add that Terry mentioned in an earlier post that he actually has a tank so he's probably going to fit that himself.
Sorry missed the tank bit. Typical for me. It was just,what cylinders, what hoses. Where to put the fill point. Is it better in a locker or better outside? Will the cylinders fit through the locker door or not?
I have an under slung tank and no way would I change it for refillable cylinders. Each to their own I guess.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sorry missed the tank bit. Typical for me. It was just,what cylinders, what hoses. Where to put the fill point. Is it better in a locker or better outside? Will the cylinders fit through the locker door or not?
I have an under slung tank and no way would I change it for refillable cylinders. Each to their own I guess.
Nothing wrong at all with your wanting a tank and if it wasn't so expensive to have one I'm sure others would too ... when we bought our set-up originally in 2009 having a tank fitted was VERY expensive, more so than now, hence why we went with a cylinder and it is easier to move from one vehicle to another - our 11kg Gaslow cylinder started out in a Rimor, then I moved it into our Chausson, an Autocruise PVC (with the help of a lump hammer! :D ) and now in our Globecar PVC with it's little 6kg brother. No doubt when we come to change again in the future (quite a while I suspect) they will happily come away on adventures with us again.:D2

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi @glenn2926 just to clarify I have a u/s tank and 2x 11 kg gaslow with auto changover to fit on new van,provided I take the gaslow out of my current van before selling ....the reason behind my original question is I have not made my mind up whether to remove the gaslow or sell with van ....hence the Q of different makes etc and price.....as a self builder no problems on fitting ;)
Terry

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi @glenn2926 just to clarify I have a u/s tank and 2x 11 kg gaslow with auto changover to fit on new van,provided I take the gaslow out of my current van before selling ....the reason behind my original question is I have not made my mind up whether to remove the gaslow or sell with van ....hence the Q of different makes etc and price.....as a self builder no problems on fitting ;)
Terry
Ah, it all becomes clear. Would you get the cost of the gas low back if you sold with the van? Could the gas low system be used to help sell the van? Many prospective buyers would, I am sure like to have a refillable gas system already fitted.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you'd need to use a lot of gas to recover the additional outlay. But I think it's more about the convenience of always starting off with full tanks and being able to top up abroad, if necessary, without having to 'mess' with local bottles. The savings are nice but not the major part oif the equation.
I'd suggest that all accessories are 'spent' by the time you sell your outfit. You may gat a small consideration for them but don't expect anything significant. Even you may not be interested in transferring if the technology has moved on in the meantime.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Just be aware, whatever refillable system you choose, the gas composition in mainland Europe can be significantly different from what you get in the UK.

In UK it's 100% propane. In many other EU countries it's a mixture of propane/butane.

I always used to fill up in mainland Europe because it was cheaper. Having experienced a serious reduction in pressure because of the excessive amount of butune occurring in the mix, I now topup in UK at every opportunity.

See this link:. https://www.mylpg.eu/useful/lpg-mixture

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have fitted
2 x 14kG to a Frankia and
2 x 11kG to a La Strada (to save weight)

And then immediately sold them both.

So now, have 1 x 11kG gasit and seeking a second bottle. 11kG Alugas, £202, Gasit £120. Yes the alugas is lighter and a great quality product. !

And I have gone for the 2nd 11kG Gasit to be supplied by Avon Autogas

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
2017-03-12 18.49.12.jpg

Mickey.

WhereNext

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
Australia
Funster No
MH
Carado T135
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks Mickey I've seen their Contact details but was asking @TeeMyob about the service he received.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We use "Easyfil" very good prices, and NO TROUBLE filling in the UK or abroad.
Colyboy

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
How did you find Avon Autogas/Get Gas service? I've emailed them twice with no reply!

I ordered the bottles over the telephone. The first bottle they charged me twice for on my credit card under two different names. When I contacted them, they said they only had one transaction. I got in-touch with my credit card (Nationwide) who asked me to send details. But within a couple of days, one transaction was credited. When I ordered the second bottle, I was only charged once.

I fitted the kit myself.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
gas it cheapest... and bloody good easy to fit

gasit.co.uk
Just a different paint job, and price, yellow or red. All come from the eastern European factory like it ( Poland I think)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
are there not regulations as to who can fit gas systems, I know changing a bottle is fine, but fixed installations might be different.

I decided to go to Thirsk and had mine supplied and fitted at Autogas. cost a bit more, not much, and peace of mind, and turned it into a weekend in York.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
are there not regulations as to who can fit gas systems, I know changing a bottle is fine, but fixed installations might be different.

I decided to go to Thirsk and had mine supplied and fitted at Autogas. cost a bit more, not much, and peace of mind, and turned it into a weekend in York.
No regs governing motorhomes / caravans for private use. Static caravans and MH for hire are different I believe.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We fitted Gas It ourselves in our previous van. They were extremely helpful and fitting was easy. Had no problems. Also got Gas It now. Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back