Gas it / Gas Low or alternative (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I need to get a new system and wondered if anyone has already done their homework on the cheapest place to purchase either of the above??
Unfortunately, I'm limited to 2 x 6kg cylinders. I'll be fitting it myself so just need cheapest suppliers.

Thanks
Terry (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I need to get a new system and wondered if anyone has already done their homework on the cheapest place to purchase either of the above??
Unfortunately, I'm limited to 2 x 6kg cylinders. I'll be fitting it myself so just need cheapest suppliers.

Thanks
Terry (y)
... are you sure you can't squeeze in an 11kg cylinder Terry? Don't tell me you made your locker tooooooo short! :D

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This site is pretty cheap and they have a price guarantee:

http://www.getgas.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Thanks
Terry (y)
Cant help with your actual question Terry but when we changed our system to gaslow we were advised to inform our insurers,,, apparently some companies view the change as a modification, ours didn't, but I still insisted they acknowledged in writing that I'd informed them.
Regards James, from dunear in Narfuk.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Going direct to Gasit themselves isn't always the cheapest ... the one I've linked to is usually cheaper ... don't ask me why!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Cant help with your actual question Terry but when we changed our system to gaslow we were advised to inform our insurers,,, apparently some companies view the change as a modification, ours didn't, but I still insisted they acknowledged in writing that I'd informed them.
Regards James, from dunear in Narfuk.
Actually James @bigguspeckus, that is a very good piece of information.
Incidentally did they confirm in English or Narfook speak?
:hi5:

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
we found gas-it the best on both our vans, What about an underslung tank????????????

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Anyone fitted the aluminium refillables to reduce weight? even though the cost might be quite a bit higher!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unless you are really tight on payload it doesn't make sense to me to buy lightweight bottles at quite a bit more dosh.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Unless you are really tight on payload it doesn't make sense to me to buy lightweight bottles at quite a bit more dosh.
Hi Minxy
As a single MHer I tend to take more than most people as I don't have a partner or dogs or kids to keep me ocupied during the nights or inclement weather and as my payload is getting near the limit these are just one of the options I'm considering, but yes you are correct if I can get by with steel bottles then I will, I'm not one to spend money if I don't have to.
Best Wishes Tony

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have a look at SafeFill. It's a different approach but works for me. Bottles are light and I can refill by taking them in the car. Also good for BBQ or gennie. Very flexible. Supposed to be able to see the liquid level but I've not found that so easy.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
... are you sure you can't squeeze in an 11kg cylinder Terry? Don't tell me you made your locker tooooooo short! :D
Not me making locker tight but BESSECARR-Swift
Really tight on 11 kg :( The locker door is 295 wide and my 11kg gas it bottles on the Itineo measure 295 --short of removing one from Itineo and squeezing it in (it may or may not go in) I thought the 6s would go in easy :D--I have a 25 ltr under-slung tank that I may fit as this would give me the same amount of gas as the 2 x 6 kgs bottles or I may take the 2 x 11 kgs off the Itineo before selling :D if they squeeze into the locker :D2
Thanks for all replies so far (y)
Got to make minds up as to which van to keep now;)
terry

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It's a different approach but works for me. Bottles are light and I can refill by taking them in the car.
Hi Rogher are you allowed to fill these when in EU countries?
Many Thanks Tony

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've filled-up once on a forecourt but the cylinder was in the locker. Luxembourg and silly low price. Wasn't stopped, so don't know if it's not 'allowed'.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Fitted 11kg in bessacrr e584 from avon auto gas bristol 171 with pipe adaptor GAS It

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well measured it all up and locker door is 285 with 11kg bottle 285 --can only fit 1 x 11kg bottle in locker as it 50 mm too narrow to get 2 in there --- thinking fitting the tank underneath may be best (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Well measured it all up and locker door is 285 with 11kg bottle 285 --can only fit 1 x 11kg bottle in locker as it 50 mm too narrow to get 2 in there --- thinking fitting the tank underneath may be best (y)

I feel for you Terry because it seems ridiculous in this day and age that the UK motor home manufacturers insistence on making van's with a letter box opening for gas MUST be losing them business in the market.

I know that when we bought our van', because a mate had had problems in getting a bottle into his Bessacarr I was jaundiced as to my choice of 'van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Rogher are you allowed to fill these when in EU countries?
Many Thanks Tony
There will be places that'll refuse to let you fill them abroad and probably in the UK too ... garages etc are twitchy enough about people filling when they have 'proper' fixed fill points so I can envisage that it is likely that someone with just a portable cylinder will be refused even more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
They may be more relaxed regarding what you fill with lpg on the continent. I saw someone openly lift a container from the boot of their car, once. It looked like an 'ordinary' cylinder with an adapter on. No-one seemed to care much.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They may be more relaxed regarding what you fill with lpg on the continent. I saw someone openly lift a container from the boot of their car, once. It looked like an 'ordinary' cylinder with an adapter on. No-one seemed to care much.
Where was this?

There are some places that may allow that but there are probably a lot more that won't!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've filled-up once on a forecourt but the cylinder was in the locker. Luxembourg and silly low price. Wasn't stopped, so don't know if it's not 'allowed'.
We're these normally returnable cylinders as in Calor type?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Where was this?

There are some places that may allow that but there are probably a lot more that won't!
It may be possible there were a lot more that used to but now just an empty space.
download (1).jpg

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We are looking at fitting two 11kg cylinders and an external point what winds me up is the price

Gasit = £380 fitted
Gaslow = £690 fitted

YES I know that Gaslow is supposed to be safer using steel hoses covered by PVC but we have been using the high pressure hoses on our Caravan for years and they get inspected every year as will the fitted system so unsure of the value of the hard system

so at this moment in time Gasit are winning
only 28 days before we collect Maxine al last

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There's something wrong with the Gaslow price unless whoever is fitting it is trying it on as there's not THAT much difference in the prices of the hoses etc!

If you're able to wield a spanner etc then there's no reason at all why you couldn't put the system in yourself and save the fitting cost altogether especially since access to your gas locker is easy and putting the filler either inside it or in the skirt would be quite a simple job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back