Gas it / Gas Low or alternative (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There's something wrong with the Gaslow price unless whoever is fitting it is trying it on as there's not THAT much difference in the prices of the hoses etc!

If you're able to wield a spanner etc then there's no reason at all why you couldn't put the system in yourself and save the fitting cost altogether.

The price was from Gaslow on the stand at the show and we have had prices way above that too and as we are always trying to get the best for our money Gasit are really winning

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The price was from Gaslow on the stand at the show and we have had prices way above that too and as we are always trying to get the best for our money Gasit are really winning

If you have a local caravan or motorhome place who can supply you could ask them to price-match the Gasit one ... we did this when we bought our first refillable bottle system back in 2009 (only Gaslow available then at a reasonable price as Gas-it didn't exist) and they were happy to match it.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
We are looking at fitting two 11kg cylinders and an external point what winds me up is the price

Gasit = £380 fitted
Gaslow = £690 fitted
Gaslow quote fitted is not far out as the link below shows. Perhaps @Minxy Girl can give us another link?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
To everyone who has these refillable bottles fitted, do most of you have the auto changeover valve fitted and if so is there any indication in the habitation area which lets you know one bottle is out and the 2nd bottle is being used, or do you just check in the gas locker regularly to see if the changeover has occurred?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
To everyone who has these refillable bottles fitted, do most of you have the auto changeover valve fitted and if so is there any indication in the habitation area which lets you know one bottle is out and the 2nd bottle is being used, or do you just check in the gas locker regularly to see if the changeover has occurred?
I decided to have manual switch over so I was aware that one cylinder was empty. Up to now, not changed over but with our upcoming holiday this year, then we definitely will.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We are looking at fitting two 11kg cylinders and an external point what winds me up is the price

Gasit = £380 fitted
Gaslow = £690 fitted

YES I know that Gaslow is supposed to be safer using steel hoses covered by PVC but we have been using the high pressure hoses on our Caravan for years and they get inspected every year as will the fitted system so unsure of the value of the hard system

so at this moment in time Gasit are winning
only 28 days before we collect Maxine al last
You choose the best one that suits you. I went for the Gaslow and fitted by Phil of Rhinoinstalls but I believe there's nothing wrong with Gas it.
I also decided to go for the filler in the boot rather than an external fitting because I didn't want a hole drilling in the side. Not only that, I have to go into the boot if not filling in UK anyway.
When we enquired regarding prices a few years ago, there wasn't that amount of difference. It was only around £50.00 but it was Gaslow on special offer from Outdoor Bits that sealed it for me.
The cost has now a distant memory (we've spent more on 'must have gadgets' that are gathering dust but the Gaslow is so convenient and easy. (Other makes are available)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

I have a pair 11kg Gaslows and have a regulator on each feed to e "Y" fitting so I know when a bottle runs out, I can swap over and then start thinking about getting a refill.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

I prefer the manual changeover with pressure gauge which is also used for leak detection (Gaslow do one).

It doesn't have a lever or anything, you just open one bottle and have the other one closed. When the first bottle runs out you close that and open the other.

Some might think this inconvenient but at least you know when to start looking to refill the expired one. We only have one refillable so the non-refillable is used as an emergency reserve.

The leak detection is a bonus. We've had bottle connections work loose and you can see immediately when the pressure suddenly drops when you turn the bottle on. Yes, we always travel with the gas turned off.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Not sure what the differences are between the two systems can someone in simple terms list the main differences, they both seem to do the same thing or am I missing something?

If nothing different, I can’t see why anyone would go for the dearer Gaslow apart from the fact I like the Gaslow colour LOL

Also is that correct you have to change your cylinders every No. of years to get them checked and if so is that a free service? And is this the same for both systems.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Not sure what the differences are between the two systems can someone in simple terms list the main differences, they both seem to do the same thing or am I missing something?

If nothing different, I can’t see why anyone would go for the dearer Gaslow apart from the fact I like the Gaslow colour LOL

Also is that correct you have to change your cylinders every No. of years to get them checked and if so is that a free service? And is this the same for both systems.
All cylinders, irrespective of manufacture have to be tested at their expiry date. I don't know about these but industrial ones are every 10 years and pressure tested, new fitments and repainted so when you see brand new cylinders, they're usually refurbished rather than new. Apparently, the company I worked for, refurbished (date expired) 2 million cylinders every year. It's the Forth Road Bridge all over again.
I haven't checked but I assume it's 10 years but someone once said it's 15 years on recently bought cylinders but I can't say that.
As regards a charge, I don't know. I assume there will be but everything is for the users safety. The problem is, there's only the owner who can check the cylinders are tested at the right time as there's no outside independent check. I'm unsure whether the respective companies will write and inform the users.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
According to a 2011 brochure the original Gaslow cylinders have a 15 warranty but the newer R67 ones are only warranted for 10 years in order to meet the 'R67 standard' terms:
  • The cylinders are manufactured from steel and carry our full 10 year warranty as requested by the R67 standard.
It also goes on to say:
  • After 10 years you must return your [R67] cylinder to a Gaslow dealer who will exchange it and charge a replacement fee.
So the requirement to replace the R67 ones appears to be more to do with the warranty and not necessarily safety.

There is no mention at all about you having to get your existing cylinder
re-certified, just to exchange it for a new one (for a price of course!).

Depending on which brochure you read the stainless steel Gaslow hoses are either 15 (2009 brochure) or 20 years (2011 brochure) and the Gas-it hoses (thick rubber ones, not the basic type) are 10 years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to add to the above, if I was getting a new system now I'd go for the 'thick rubber' hoses from Gas-it as they are a lot less cost-wise than the stainless steel ones and I'd probably go for whichever cylinders work out best price-wise along with the other bits. I can't see the point personally of paying for Gaslow if Gas-it is cheaper as they both do the same job!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just to add to the above, if I was getting a new system now I'd go for the 'thick rubber' hoses from Gas-it as they are a lot less cost-wise than the stainless steel ones and I'd probably go for whichever cylinders work out best price-wise along with the other bits. I can't see the point personally of paying for Gaslow if Gas-it is cheaper as they both do the same job!
Agree about prices however, I had a problem with rubber hoses and LPG as the rubber degrades (over years) with something in the LPG and can clog up the regulator (the thingy it goes through) . The stainless steel ones have lasted far better and I carry a spare just in case. My thoughts are fit S/S at the same time at the extra cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agree about prices however, I had a problem with rubber hoses and LPG as the rubber degrades (over years) with something in the LPG and can clog up the regulator (the thingy it goes through) . The stainless steel ones have lasted far better and I carry a spare just in case. My thoughts are fit S/S at the same time at the extra cost.
The rubber hoses I'm talking about aren't like those meant for use with a non-refillable cylinder/camping stove etc with a short lifespan which some people decided to use with the refillable systems as an alternative for the more expensive S/S ones, no, I'm on about the purpose made much, much thicker ones as sold by Gas-it specifically for refillable cylinders.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
gas-it rubber hose;'s are reinforced with metal wire (similar to a tyre),
gaslow stainless are rubber covered by stainless braiding,

both company's get there cylinders from the same source, Portugal

your choice but I like the red ones with there hose's (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
gas-it rubber hose;'s are reinforced with metal wire (similar to a tyre),
gaslow stainless are rubber covered by stainless braiding,

both company's get there cylinders from the same source, Portugal

your choice but I like the red ones with there hose's (y)
Poland actually.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Auto changeover is very handy but not essential. The Truma one can have Duo/EisEx (or something like that) added that tells you when the slave has cut in. It can also stop the regulator icing up in winter.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I was referring to one of my SafeFill bottles.
Are these safefill bottles or a fitting that enables (rather than permits or allows) the refilling of normally exchange cylinders. Exchange cylinders in this case are the ones that the user doesn't actually own but puts (possibly) a deposit down and receives a full cylinder then when empty, normally return to supplier for exchange? I'm also including in this 'found' bottles/cylinders or retrieved or purchased off a site like eBay or others?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Auto changeover is very handy but not essential. The Truma one can have Duo/EisEx (or something like that) added that tells you when the slave has cut in. It can also stop the regulator icing up in winter.
We have it and with the secumotion & anti-rupture hoses only have to turn the gas of for ferries.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the safefill bottles have a built in filling valve,and are made of plastic /fiberglass type stuff that you can see through so you can see how full it is .The filler has a none return valve built in so you don't have to turn the stopper bit off before removing off the filling hose ........Garages don't look favorable if you stand it on the forecourt before filling:D
Terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi the safefill bottles have a built in filling valve,and are made of plastic /fiberglass type stuff that you can see through so you can see how full it is .The filler has a none return valve built in so you don't have to turn the stopper bit off before removing off the filling hose ........Garages don't look favorable if you stand it on the forecourt before filling:D
Terry
Terry has described perfectly Safefill bottles but it is important to remember that they don't have a level gauge and no safety cut off at 80% ... it's up to the person filling it to ensure they're not overfilled.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Terry has described perfectly Safefill bottles but it is important to remember that they don't have a level gauge and no safety cut off at 80% ... it's up to the person filling it to ensure they're not overfilled.

Safefill do have the 80% cutoff. Asked Safefill at dusseldorf show re end of 10 year, they said take back to dealer and current price was, i think, about 30 euro to have cylinder retested / exchanged. No idea what price will be in 10 years thou!
It is a requirement under pressure test regulations to have cylinders( pressure vessels) retested. Of course you may choose to ignore the regs.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Are you sure the quoted gas it price is for the new 4 valve version. If not then you cannot compare the Gaslow with gas it as they are different. I have looked on line recently and whilst gas it is still cheaper, not by that much.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Terry
Hi @Terry and the reason I asked was more to the point of filling Calor type bottle/cylinders and irrespective whether it's legal or not, there are some who advocate using a valve to fill. That's fine for them but providing they are aware that it's illegal and more importantly dangerous in inexperienced hands there is also the aspect of being cold burns by the LPG. It's not guaranteed that refillable are safer in that aspect but treat those type with respect because of self harm.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Unless you are really tight on payload it doesn't make sense to me to buy lightweight bottles at quite a bit more dosh.
I am always tight for payload due to swmbo taking everything under the sun. What was unnecessary was having two bottles as in practice one would have been adequate.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I will be fitting twin gaslow 11kg bottles with outside filling point to our new van next month for just £265
As I bought the bottles and stainless hoses off a funster, I got a change over valve off eBay £15 new and a square filler and cover for Under £10.

John.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
This seems quite a good price if you are looking for Alugas 11kg cylinders setup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back