Gallivanting in the Garden........ (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
of England that is!

We aimed to set off at 9.30 am, and true to form left home at 1.30pm - so bang on time - for me......

The van is full of alcohol but not much food, as I was told this morning "don't pack much, we're eating out - it's Christmas" :Eeek: 'Crikey' I thought - I've never heard that before from His Nibs - @Robert Clark he ain't - So the freezer is empty - having said that we are in the van at Canterbury Park and Ride, waiting for my (home made) Jalfrezi chicken curry to warm up......

I have to say I'm impressed - plenty of spaces, the bus stop 50 yds away, and a pub at the end of the road!

We are off to Canterbury tomorrow - to go relic hunting in the cathedral, Christmas shopping in the city and window shopping only in the music shop - @Janine I played a borrowed Ike last night and fell in love...... So I have no Christmas or birthday presents to come for three years - and I have to wait until 'late Spring' to get my hands on the little beauty.....

IMG_2984.JPG

Cliff's not convinced - even after I told him it was weeny and wouldn't take up as much space in the van.....

Anyway back to our trip - a quiet night in the van tonight, waiting to see which utterly useless Apprentice will be fired, and a full day tomorrow -The Prologue is done - The Merry Wife of Bath will report back tomorrow :xThumb:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Looking forward to those relics!!( I think:xeek:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Martin says he's backing Cliff on the uke, it's not the size of the thing but the fact it's your third!!
Also what's this about shopping? Has he taught you nowt?

I'm looking forward to relics and weather spoons pics xx

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like Canterbury.:xThumb:

I don't like shopping in Canterbury though

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Martin says he's backing Cliff on the uke, it's not the size of the thing but the fact it's your third!!
Also what's this about shopping? Has he taught you nowt?

I'm looking forward to relics and weather spoons pics xx
Yeah, but I have an answer for the uke thing. Yes I may have a TEMPORARY condition - UAS - uke acquisition syndrome - but it will be cured as soon as I get hold of Ike, and @Robert Clark style - I've never worn foundation makeup - EVER - so how much have I saved in 61 years (smacks of desperation I know) but I bet it won't add up to the price of the little beauty.... :xThumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
& it's market day Fridays in Canterbury as well.

It's only a ickle market though if you mean the trendy farmers market thing near the station.

We went a few weeks ago and it was mainly full of the trendy crowd buying trendy cheese and poncy pastries.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's only a ickle market though if you mean the trendy farmers market thing near the station.

We went a few weeks ago and it was mainly full of the trendy crowd buying trendy cheese and poncy pastries.
Phew - stocked up with cheese and only eat pastys when on Hollibobs in Cornwall - so we're safe so far.... :xThumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
By the way @cliffandger , I will be interested to learn you views about Debenhams in Canterbury.

I view it as crappy, messy and the most disorganised department store I have ever had the misfortune to visit.

You go to Fenwicks and M&S and it's all pristine, and then you walk in there and it's like going back in time.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
By the way @cliffandger , I will be interested to learn you views about Debenhams in Canterbury.

I view it as crappy, messy and the most disorganised department store I have ever had the misfortune to visit.

You go to Fenwicks and M&S and it's all pristine, and then you walk in there and it's like going back in time.
I soooooo wish @Mousy was here - we love a mission - but I will soldier on alone and will endeavour to report back on the state of the Canterbury Debenhams tomorrow night!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you find yourselves at a lose end, you're welcome to visit Chez Clark just over the border in East Sussex.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We both think you should have another uke, as when you ask Cliff if he wants another beer what is his reply. We think we already know.:xblush:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well what a lovely day we've had. Breakfast in Spoons, and then a visit to the Cathedral. We didn't pay for the guided tour but didn't miss out on anything, as the volunteer guides are just bursting with facts that they can't keep inside! If you stand still and look at something for more than two seconds, a volunteer comes up behind you and tells you all about the history. We stopped to look at graffiti and a very posh voice came up and said 'pre 1700's graffiti is good, but post 1700 is classed as a nuisance'!

He then lead us to a magnificent stained glass window.....
IMG_3013.PNG

He said we were lucky - if we'de visited two weeks ago we wouldn't have seen it - as it had been removed 5 years before, when a piece of masonry fell out, and they realised the whole wall, including the window was in danger of collapsing! The whole window has been completely rebuilt, and was blessed and displayed to the public only last week by Archbishop Welby. It was magnificent - and the glass in the lower window is 11th century.

We saw the exact spot where Thomas a Becket was murdered...
IMG_2986.JPG

And the Anthony Gormley art installation that hovers over where his tomb was placed in the crypt before it was demolished by Henry VIII...
IMG_3012.JPG

And the candle forever burning on the spot where his shrine stood before it was demolished...

IMG_2996.JPG

It was an amazing place - but alas no relics......

"No relics??!!" I hear you say...... But you should all know me better than that.....

A short walk from the Cathedral found us in the Catholic Church of St Thomas of Canterbury......
IMG_3014.PNG

IMG_3015.PNG

So I don't think I've let you down - even though I couldn't quite get the camera lens through the grid to take a clearer photo!

We wandered around the city for a while and then caught the bus back to the 'aire' - what a gem of a thing it is - £3 a day including the bus into town - brilliant - why can't all the UK Park and Rides follow suit?

We are off tomorrow - probably north to Whitstable for a day by the seaside and some Huitres (for him) and cod and chips (for me) - so for now Good Eventide Sirrahs and Ladies, with lots of lip claps from ye Merry Wyfe of Bath and Her Squire :xThumb::xsmile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely Ger, bought back memories of the cathedrals we've been in together, like St David's in Pembrokeshire and our infumouse (see what I've done there?) Turin shroud funeral crash.

Tell his Lordship to enjoy his oysters and afters:xwink:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely Ger, bought back memories of the cathedrals we've been in together, like St David's in Pembrokeshire and our infumouse (see what I've done there?) Turin shroud funeral crash.

Tell his Lordship to enjoy his oysters and afters:xwink:
Will do - although I might not mention the afters to him....,

I forgot to say - the very helpful chap that told us about the magnificent stained glass window also said to go and look at the statues of The Queen and Prince Philip that have been installed on the outside of the cathedral - the only sculpture of the Queen in the world!
IMG_3001.JPG

I'm sorry but all I could see was an armless Queen and a Prince whose head and only visible hand looked too big for his body! I thought their faces are quite good though....

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
What a wonderful description Ger , I'm almost tempted to visit myself!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Well what a lovely day we've had. Breakfast in Spoons, and then a visit to the Cathedral. We didn't pay for the guided tour but didn't miss out on anything, as the volunteer guides are just bursting with facts that they can't keep inside! If you stand still and look at something for more than two seconds, a volunteer comes up behind you and tells you all about the history. We stopped to look at graffiti and a very posh voice came up and said 'pre 1700's graffiti is good, but post 1700 is classed as a nuisance'!

He then lead us to a magnificent stained glass window.....
View attachment 136618

He said we were lucky - if we'de visited two weeks ago we wouldn't have seen it - as it had been removed 5 years before, when a piece of masonry fell out, and they realised the whole wall, including the window was in danger of collapsing! The whole window has been completely rebuilt, and was blessed and displayed to the public only last week by Archbishop Welby. It was magnificent - and the glass in the lower window is 11th century.

We saw the exact spot where Thomas a Becket was murdered...
View attachment 136620

And the Anthony Gormley art installation that hovers over where his tomb was placed in the crypt before it was demolished by Henry VIII...
View attachment 136622

And the candle forever burning on the spot where his shrine stood before it was demolished...

View attachment 136623

It was an amazing place - but alas no relics......

"No relics??!!" I hear you say...... But you should all know me better than that.....

A short walk from the Cathedral found us in the Catholic Church of St Thomas of Canterbury......
View attachment 136625

View attachment 136626
So I don't think I've let you down - even though I couldn't quite get the camera lens through the grid to take a clearer photo!

We wandered around the city for a while and then caught the bus back to the 'aire' - what a gem of a thing it is - £3 a day including the bus into town - brilliant - why can't all the UK Park and Rides follow suit?

We are off tomorrow - probably north to Whitstable for a day by the seaside and some Huitres (for him) and cod and chips (for me) - so for now Good Eventide Sirrahs and Ladies, with lots of lip claps from ye Merry Wyfe of Bath and Her Squire :xThumb::xsmile:
Tis a great place Ger. I have been a few times and it always makes me feel very humble to be in such a place of great history and worship. ..Roy

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well - another lovely day. I think I can say safely we've done 'daytrips' today - a drive in the van to Whitstable, Herne Bay and Margate. Whitstable reminded me of the Ile de Oleron but with more independent shops and no blue sky! What a lovely street to wander up and down - every tiny shop selling different things and a real 'vintage' feel about it.

We had lunch in a stunning Spoons - The Peter Cushing. Apparently he lived here for 30 odd years before he died. A cinema with a stunning backdrop to the bar and beautiful Art Deco finishes everywhere.
IMG_1082.JPG

A rubbish photo that clearly doesn't do it justice, but if you are in Whitstable and you like Spoons, this ones a beaut.

The main reason for visiting beautiful Whitstable for Dawn @Mousy @Mr Mousy , @DavidG58 and his mum....

IMG_1081.JPG

My phone battery ran out so I can't show you photos of artisan bakers, pubs, vintage dressmakers, ironmongers, toy shops, oyster shacks, chippers, cafes, delis, and - as I informed a total stranger (thinking the Squire was walking behind me...) - there are 3 butchers in the space of 40 feet!!! (He must have been a Whitstableownian - he wasn't impressed...)

All this and a tiny theatre that is still showing am dram productions - I think a town to return to on a sunny day in Spring, but it won't be so easy to wander the street at will as it was today.

You can get a piece of Whitstable action on a permanent basis, but it don't come cheap.....
IMG_1083.JPG

Beach hut anyone.....?

We drove to Herne Bay and onto Margate, but the weather turned drizzly so we decided to go back to Canterbury P n R, catch the bus into town for a wander and a swift half!

The beautiful entrance to the cathedral - this photo will teach me never to leave my camera in the van again :doh:

IMG_1087.JPG

Heading down the coast tomorrow, visiting Ramsgate, Sandwich and Deal, before stopping over at The Pilot Inn and Dungeness. :xThumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Geraldine :):)

That warmed me nearly as much as a video we watched today on Bev's phone of the Wimaway at the New Forest Meet your face trying to control a drink infused crowd of funsters was nearly as funny as the quality of the singing (y)

will try and get it onto the forum somehow

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ger, what's the parking situation like in whitstable? I've wanted to visit for years. Sounds lovely:) and the wethers sounds like a 'must do':xThumb:

But what about Debenhams???????:LOL:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ger, what's the parking situation like in whitstable? I've wanted to visit for years. Sounds lovely:) and the wethers sounds like a 'must do':xThumb:

But what about Debenhams???????:LOL:
The parking is fine during the day in the winter, but I think in Spring and Summer you might be better parking in the glorious Canterbury P n R and cycling the 8 miles of the Crab and Winkle Way to Whitstable. The bus network is also brilliant so I think it's an unnecessary hassle to try and park the van up - and as far as I could see there's no chance of overnight stays anywhere near either!

I have to confess I failed the mission and didn't venture into Debenhams, but having wandered around Fenwicks, I think Debenhams comes a poor second in the department store stakes!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Geraldine :):)

That warmed me nearly as much as a video we watched today on Bev's phone of the Wimaway at the New Forest Meet your face trying to control a drink infused crowd of funsters was nearly as funny as the quality of the singing (y)

will try and get it onto the forum somehow
David you have no idea how many times I have tried to orchestrate this beautiful, soulful tune, reminicscent of the African Savannah..... I've come close ..... at Chester this year with @Carol @Theonlysue @Ambilkate @daveandsan @Popeye Jac's, et al but I'm still striving for perfection - maybe New Years at Shrewsbury will be the one .......

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am a man of Kent, or a Kentish man, never can remember which, born in Margate lived in Ramsgate till 5, then started the move north with parents

We went to Whitstable a few years ago and shared a coffee shop with Bob Geldoff, although he sat there nice and quietly he still seemed offensive o_O but not sure he thought much of me either :LOL: sitting there equally nice and quietly

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
- maybe New Years at Shrewsbury will be the one .......

we are still wallowing in about third reserve, so at least you don't look like having me to contend with (y)

but I have just bid on Wildbills charity Uke so could do a distant duet maybe :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back