Gallivanting in the Garden........ (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
we are still wallowing in about third reserve, so at least you don't look like having me to contend with (y)

but I have just bid on Wildbills charity Uke so could do a distant duet maybe :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Oooooo maybe another convert @Janine !! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well - what a beautiful day it's been here on the sunny Kentish coast. We left Canterbury for the final time (maybe) this morning and headed for Broadstairs and all things Dickens. A sleepy little town, where we parked up a side street and wandered along the pretty winding promenade down into the town....

IMG_1104.JPG

which makes the most of its famous inhabitant....

IMG_1092.JPG

Was this where he drank his hot punch......?

Before stopping on the way home.......
IMG_1097.JPG

And apparently this was home.....
IMG_1099.JPG

But so was this......
IMG_1095.JPG

And this....
IMG_1096.JPG

And this....
IMG_3039.PNG

Cliff reckons he wiled away a few hours here when he got writer's block.....
IMG_1102.JPG

That comment hinted that he'd had his fill of all things Dickensian and we moved on down the coast to Ramsgate. It was very busy and there was no where to park, so we drove through, but not before driving along the harbour Quay and me saying 'ooooooo look at that little shop...... Ooooooo look at that lovely little cafe..... We will return Funsters....!

Our next stop was Sandwich. A pretty little 'cinque port' where we stopped for a drink after a wander around the quiet back streets awash with history.

I spotted a tiny cottage with yet another plaque on the wall......
IMG_1108.JPG

On closer inspection - absolutely brilliant!
IMG_1107.JPG

We are loving this county!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I spotted a tiny cottage with yet another plaque on the wall......
View attachment 137117

On closer inspection - absolutely brilliant!
View attachment 137119

We are loving this county!

Try Broadstairs when they have the folk festival! It's absolutely brilliant. If you're in the C&CC there's usually a local meet to stay at with a walk into the town. Next year it's from 11-18 August. We'll certainly be there assuming Joe's able to drive then. Tickets available now from www.broadstairfolkweek.org.uk.

Joe

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
It all looks great Ger, a county I would love to explore one day. I've always wanted to go to dungerness there are some very arty people who live in shacks there. Lots of sculptors. Lots of pics please x

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Try Broadstairs when they have the folk festival! It's absolutely brilliant. If you're in the C&CC there's usually a local meet to stay at with a walk into the town. Next year it's from 11-18 August. We'll certainly be there assuming Joe's able to drive then. Tickets available now from www.broadstairfolkweek.org.uk.

Joe
Would love to do this - maybe an idea for next year before France @Mousy Dawn?

Cliff has his own plaque - fame at last.......
IMG_3042.PNG

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks @cliffandger
Thoroughly enjoying your funny & informative tale.
Yet another trip to be added to my Retirement Grand Tour.
You've shown that even though MH'ing in this country isn't perhaps as easy as elsewhere - its certainly worth the effort.
:xThumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Crackin' thread Ger, I could actually hear Cliff saying that about the Amusement Arcade.

Saw a photo of us in the pub staring back at me when I entered my man-cave earlier I'm trying to find it on the pc but can't find it anywhere. What date did you and Cliff call down on your way to Poole?

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We called in on our way to Poole on 11th November 2015, but I think the photo of the pub would have been taken on our PYOPAP (Pick Your Own Plants at Popeye's) weekend on 15th April this year. :xThumb:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks @cliffandger
Thoroughly enjoying your funny & informative tale.
Yet another trip to be added to my Retirement Grand Tour.
You've shown that even though MH'ing in this country isn't perhaps as easy as elsewhere - its certainly worth the effort.
:xThumb:
If all the Park and Rides were as forward thinking as Canterbury, it would at least make things that little bit easier!
It's not as big as the one on our side of Bristol - which is always a third empty, so if they can do it why can't all the rest?!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Great thread Geraldine, thanks for all the pics and descriptions, it's a trip I'm hoping we will do next year, love exploring our old towns.

"Mum, what would you like for Christmas?"
Book on How To Play The Ukelele.
"Lol, who has got a ukelele?"
Me!

Your inspiration at the New Forest! Won't suggest a duet @DavidG58
''cos I will be rubbish! :xgrin:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
My phone battery ran out so I can't show you photos of artisan bakers, pubs, vintage dressmakers, ironmongers, toy shops, oyster shacks, chippers, cafes, delis, and - as I informed a total stranger (thinking the Squire was walking behind me...) - there are 3 butchers in the space of 40 feet!!! (He must have been a Whitstableownian - he wasn't impressed...)

All this and a tiny theatre that is still showing am dram productions - I think a town to return to on a sunny day in Spring, but it won't be so easy to wander the street at will as it was today.

You can get a piece of Whitstable action on a permanent basis, but it don't come cheap.....
Apart from the oyster shacks, you could almost be describing Louth. As a visit to Jim's new gaff will be obligatory at some point, you will have to drop in. Arrive with an empty fridge & also room to store cheese.

The local Uke session is every Wed night at the Brown Cow. More Trad tunes every Tuesday in the same pub.

Oh, and http://www.louthplaygoers.com/. One of very few am dram societies to own their own theatre.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've always wanted to go to dungerness there are some very arty people who live in shacks there. Lots of sculptors. Lots of pics please x

Shacks !! :xeek: Ancient railway carriages/goods wagons if you please. :xlaugh: Unfortunately the days of the cheap stuff has long gone .You'll need to part up with the thick end of a quarter of a million & then it will need a complete rebuild.:(

If all the Park and Rides were as forward thinking as Canterbury, it would at least make things that little bit easier!
It's not as big as the one on our side of Bristol - which is always a third empty, so if they can do it why can't all the rest?!
I doubt that it would ever happen in Bristol as they've never had a great love of vehicles.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We walked around Louth market when we were on our travels from Lincoln show a couple of years ago and bought the best pork pie EVER from the local butchers on the Main Street - so now TWO reasons to come back - wonder if @Jim could be paid in pies......

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We walked around Louth market when we were on our travels from Lincoln show a couple of years ago and bought the best pork pie EVER from the local butchers on the Main Street - so now TWO reasons to come back - wonder if @Jim could be paid in pies......
Sutton-on-sea, have got a cracking butchers shop, as well as fresh meat they do all there own pies and cooked meats, am sure Jim will find it if he already as not:xThumb:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well, what can I say? Parked up in The Pilot car park, after a walk through the desert that is Dungeness - apparently EDF have bought it - wonder what they'll do to it - hopefully nothing!

The wind is howling now, but it cleared a little earlier, so we put waterproofs, hats and gloves on and set off...

Fishing trip anyone.....?
IMG_3044.PNG

Whatever this bloke is hunting for - he's welcome to it......
IMG_3066.JPG

When you sit here and eat your fresh local fish....
IMG_3074.JPG

This is the view .....

IMG_3049.PNG

And if you want a project - what about this little doer upper.....
IMG_3058.JPG

A weather vane for a true fisherman - isn't it a beauty....
IMG_3046.PNG

And finally a tea time teaser - what makes you think a bloke lives here....?
IMG_3047.PNG

Just off for fish and chips in the Pilot - with a free bottle of wine! :xThumb:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
EDF . Can't do too much with it . It is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest due to its unusual shingle ridges and the wildlife that lives there.. It was up for sale last year for 1,5 million. Wish I'd had the money to buy it.:cry: 9% return (130k) with the rents from the cottages, bird sanctuary & the power station.:xThumb:

Worms/ ground bait , etc; is what they are digging out .You see loads at low tide with a sled tied to them with a rope around their waist.

You didn't have the best day for it by the photo's . Look on the bright side though the rain wasn't coming horizontally.:xlaugh:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well - fish and chips in The Pilot were fantastic - and a bottle of wine included free! @The Dude - thanks for the recommendation. :xThumb: We've loved Dungeness - a real wilderness but with scrap metal everywhere!
IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3045.jpg

We're off to Rye tomorrow - stopping off at Thomas a Becket church in Fairfield on the way!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I reckon a bloke lives there cos the washing on the line is badly put out.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I reckon a bloke lives there cos the washing on the line is badly put out.
Give that girl an orange! Although the absolutely correct answer would be that yes the washing is badly put out - but it is still there when the storm has been raging for at least two hours - and it's still there!

We are sitting in the van listening to gun shots and explosives going off - (we're hoping it's the firing range and not the natives getting restless) - what a Brillo soap pads place this is!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It wasn't the firing range but a piece of scrap metal banging in the wind - all night!

I will write my post in a bit (after eating tea actually), but would lead you to a thread I've put on separately for @Anthea M and all those who are FFRFs (Fellow Funster Relic Fans) - I am still discombobulated ....... Can't paste thread but it's called :

' My relic fans - OMG and I'm not joking!!!!!!! '

I repeat -OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Right then lads and lassies - despite still being affected by my religious experience - I shall tell you what we did today. What a lovely - if drizzly day it's been.

We left Amazing Dungeness, but not before driving up to the lighthouse for a quick look....
IMG_3087.JPG

One of 'ems a bit wonky - hoping it's the one on the left.....:rofl:

We drove to Fairfield in the rain to see the church of St Thomas a Becket...
IMG_3088.JPG

After going to Becket Farm to get the key...
IMG_3096.JPG

Clifton opened the door....
IMG_3104.JPG

Into a tiny Georgian church with box pews painted white with black linings and a three tiered pulpit...
IMG_3093.JPG

He then found The King James VI version....
IMG_3103.JPG

But to atone for any pulpit related wrongdoings, we spent a fiver on a beautiful porcelain mug...
IMG_3115.JPG

It really was a beautifully understated (if freezing cold) church in the middle of The Romney Marshes - but even this hallowed place has to guard against the vagaries of this heathen age in which we live, in the best way it can.....
IMG_3091.JPG

We dropped the key back and carried on to Battle, where we hoped to see the spot, in Battle Abbey, where Harold had lost his eye. The guide book said that, rather than having his eye taken out, as misinterpreted in the Bayeaux Tapestry, he was despatched in a 'more workaday fashion' by a good clubbing about the head! :Eeek:

Eager to see the spot where it happened, we found the last free parking space (Battle is NOT MH friendly) on the outskirts, and donning waterproofs we walked the mile back into town.

IMG_3098.JPG

I read the blurb - in 1976 English Heritage saved the Abbey from God Knows What and bought it 'For The Nation'. Well, these two Nationals, having walked a mile in anticipation found it closed!!!!!! But you could still have the privilege of paying £4.50 to park in the bloody car park! I tell you, if I had paid £52 to be a member (that option was still open....) I would not have been happy!

We walked halfway around in the hope of seeing the battle field but saw nothing - EH has it completely sown up so unless you join you ain't seein nuffin!

We drove on to Rye and are now parked up in the hotel car park - we've had a quick walk round (not to mention a near religious experience) and will get up early for a second visit tomorrow.

We are having a blast in the Garden of England (and my photo clearly shows that Kent, and not Yorkshire is God's Own Country.....

IMG_3101.JPG

:xwink::xwink::xwink:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ger @cliffandger Glad you had a lovely time even if that relic experience was shocking !
But I beg to differ and say YORKSHIRE is Gods own county!!:xgrin:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
No but I'm sure we have some things Old mother Shipton and her putrefied toys springs to mind . She turns things to stone!!
Not religious just witchy I think!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back