Felixstowe - Options being looked at because of the few who are taking liberties (2 Viewers)

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Sure we all like a free park up whether for a day or overnight. It’s not spongeing, partly the reason we buy motorhomes to be self sufficient so we can. Also sure we all feel a bit pissed when arriving somewhere and all the spaces are taken, especially by those that stay for days, weeks maybe months, although it may be legal to do so. Personally if I arrive somewhere and it resembles a Songat camp we move on. Local authorities making a reasonable charge, with some basic rules and restricting a length of stay help to control that. The alternative for many is to ban Motorhome’s in which case we all lose out.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Your implication is that olley shouldn't be there? The problem is not the people staying one day/night responsibly, it's the long termers who turn it into something close to a shanty town. The same sort who get French Aires closed because the social rules don't apply to them.
Not at all - my point is that there is a personal choice to be made and self awareness and some empathy for others should inform that choice.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not at all - my point is that there is a personal choice to be made and self awareness and some empathy for others should inform that choice.
Totally agree with the sentiment. However, that applies to everyone and everything in life including those that think others may be sponging. Not too much empathy shown there?

olley and scotjimland are both long time and respected Funsters that do not generally take liberties and historically have put much more into Fun than either take out. Fortunately both also have broad shoulders, and neither has done anything anti social or unlawful. Please reserve negative comments for those that really take the biscuit. As far as I am aware, none of those are Funsters.

I don't think we have met, but I will happily shake your hand if you are coming to Henham next week or any other rally I am at. Rule 1 can be summarised as 'Be nice to people' even if you don't agree.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Waving from Felixstowe.
Cycled past the Fludyers today looking at all the vans.
Hadn't realised there were some Funsters around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Why is parking legally for fre sponging? That's almost insulting.
Sorry I meant overnighting instead of paying a campsite etc. as I have said enjoy what you have now, I shall be talking to councillors to provide more motorhome marked parking .I would like to think they provide an Aire , but I having been asking for for the elderly, disabled, and parents with small children for a lift from the seafront to the top of the cliffs for years to no avail .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If it is anything like the original Eden Project there will be plenty of daytime parking for all types of vehicle.
I should have thought it unlikely there will be any camping provision as, like the original, the owners are not in that business.
strange how attractions on the continent make motorhome provisions part of their business weve stay at several aires attached to theme parks maybe it should be included as a part of planning permissions

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
strange how attractions on the continent make motorhome provisions part of their business weve stay at several aires attached to theme parks maybe it should be included as a part of planning permissions
Re educating our councils to alter their way of life, is nigh impossible

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We are home now but before we left we got talking to another couple, they regularly stay 2-3 nights and have done for the past 7 years, she said we have never known it so busy before, she also said two of the motorhomes have been here permanently for a number of months, the owners let others use it while they aren't there. Now that is taking the piss!

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Re educating our councils to alter their way of life, is nigh impossible
I wonder showing them portions of this thread may help allay some of their fears. I think we would all support a 24 or49 hour parking limit. I am fairly sure other East Suffolk Council residents who are Funsters, including the two involved here olley and scotjimland, would be happy to support you in that mission. Private conversations between you may be needed so they talk to their councillors on the same lines as you talk to yours. Unfortunately, I can do little to help, as speaking to my councillor would have zero impact as a different local authority. However, happy to join a delegation to speak to the council or similar if that helps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not strange at all. It's a function of the different traditions, and consequent different legal systems, between this country and those on the continent.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Totally agree with the sentiment. However, that applies to everyone and everything in life including those that think others may be sponging. Not too much empathy shown there?

olley and scotjimland are both long time and respected Funsters that do not generally take liberties and historically have put much more into Fun than either take out. Fortunately both also have broad shoulders, and neither has done anything anti social or unlawful. Please reserve negative comments for those that really take the biscuit. As far as I am aware, none of those are Funsters.

I don't think we have met, but I will happily shake your hand if you are coming to Henham next week or any other rally I am at. Rule 1 can be summarised as 'Be nice to people' even if you don't agree.
I'm sorry that you seem to have interpreted my generalised comment as being directed at anyone in particular and that you see it as negative rather than the neutral observation it was intended to be. I think your first sentence says it all really. I'll send you a metaphorical handshake as I am unlikely to make it to any rallies any time soon.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
A small point on Aires.
As I understand it France is much less densely populated than the UK, and the Aires are locally supported to bring tourists into the towns and villages for extra income.
At Felixstowe we seem to be beating them off with a stick at the moment.
So the traditional reason for an aire doesn't seem to apply.
There are also plenty of sites for tourers in the area.
The one location which seems suitable for a traditional aire is the town centre car park which has toilets and would naturally bring visitors into the shops and restaurants.
However it doesn't give free long term direct access to the beach so might not be popular.
Local NIMBYs might also object.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
There are some councils that have taken a more positive approach.
Northumberland Council following an increase in Motorhome activity has 3 designated sites at Amble, Bamburgh and Beadnell. Limited places, £12 per night, one night stays only.
Fife Coast and Countryside Trust in Scotland has several at £10 per night. Their parking is also first 2 hours free or £2 all day. Monies raised are ringfenced to facilitate safe parking, extend opening hours for public toilets and create a network of chemical toilet disposal points.
So it can be done, just takes a willingness to engage and some common sense.

IMG_2279.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
A small point on Aires.
As I understand it France is much less densely populated than the UK, and the Aires are locally supported to bring tourists into the towns and villages for extra income.
The one location which seems suitable for a traditional aire is the town centre car park which has toilets and would naturally bring visitors into the shops and restaurants.
However it doesn't give free long term direct access to the beach so might not be popular.
Possibly Ranelagh Road car park would be more acceptable as not as visible as Crescent Road? Also has toilets. Only a 2 minute walk from the sea and town centre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A small point on Aires.
As mentioned in another post earlier this morning, what is traditional in one country is not necessarily traditional in another - as explored numerous times in numerous threads through the life of MotorhomeFun.
Over that time (as Dave and Jan mentioned above) more councils have introduced facilities, where they can be justified. The fact is, though, that in many places that justifocation cannot be established.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Possibly Ranelagh Road car park would be more acceptable as not as visible as Crescent Road? Also has toilets. Only a 2 minute walk from the sea and town centre.
We often use Ranelagh Road car park for Orwell Fisheries but prefer to stop foc on Brownlow Road or Ranelagh Road itself, before hopefully returning to The Fludgers!

Gordon

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I agree, but it could be done convince the Town council and East Suffolk council um!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I hope all you campers here, have been watching the " Tour of Britain" Cycling section in sunny Felixstowe.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Just the same in front of some of the beach huts, chairs and tables
Just the same in front of some of the beach huts, chairs and tables out.
I suppose Olley if you’re paying £1000 per year council tax for a beach hut you have a fair argument for allowance of tables and chairs. Like if you’re paying for a pitch on a campsite.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I suppose Olley if you’re paying £1000 per year council tax for a beach hut you have a fair argument for allowance of tables and chairs. Like if you’re paying for a pitch on a campsite.
The might think they have a financial argument, but it's still contrary to the by-law and therefore unlawful. They are supposed to take them off the prom and onto the beach.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as meanders pointed out..

EAST SUFFOLK COUNCIL
BEACH HUT SITES IN FELIXSTOWE LICENCE AND CONDITIONS OF HIRE

1. 7.4 The Licensee shall not obstruct passageways between the huts, walkways, steps or the area surrounding the Site in any way.

The licence fee for a standard site is

£437.53 (Excl VAT)

premium site
£546.91 (Excl VAT)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread